Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 9:47:56 AM EDT
I'm no longer able to make a system restore or whatever it's called in english (I have the french version of Windows XP).
When trying to restore the system to a previous date, a window tells me that "the group strategy has switched off the system restore".
Can someone teach me how to switch back on the "system restore"?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like system restore has been disabled administrativly via Group Policy.  If this is a work computer you'll have to talk to your helpdesk or network admin to get it resolved (and most likely they'll say  get bent)

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#2]
RIGHT click my computer and click properties- click the system restore tab you will see the light
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It sounds like system restore has been disabled administrativly via Group Policy.  If this is a work computer you'll have to talk to your helpdesk or network admin to get it resolved (and most likely they'll say  get bent)

+1
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+10

If you're logging into a domain, it looks like a group policy has been applied that prevents you from doing what you want to do.  Ask your domain/network admin about it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmm, this is my computer at home, we have 3 connected in a network.
I tried to right clich on "my computer" then "properties" but there's no system restore tab.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#6]
System Restore isn't on the Properties of mine either, that particular thing might be on the XP Pro version.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
System Restore isn't on the Properties of mine either, that particular thing might be on the XP Pro version.

I have XP pro SP1 and it works before, I hate to uninstall windows & reinstall it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
try this...

Start > Run > gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System Restore

see if "Turn Off System Restore" has been turned off, if so, disable it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
try this...

Start > Run > gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System Restore

see if "Turn Off System Restore" has been turned off, if so, disable it.

Chokey,

Thank you so much for your help, now the system restore function is available, the "turn off system restore" was neither turned off or turned on, it wasn't configured so I did what you told me and disabled it and it works.

I have yet another problem, didn't affect the computer operation but I need to know why.
When the computer is started, right after the icons showed up, there's a window telling me that scvhost has failed to execute.
What does that mean?
This happens at the same time the system restore function doesn't work.

Again thanks for your kind help.
Take care.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#10]
What's a guy from France doing on a gun website?!?!?!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Keep your remarks for yourself, you don't even know who I am.
Go here to find out more before criticizing: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=309990
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:25:26 AM EDT
[#12]
here we go...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:37:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's cool, he's only asking about computers. <<<------J/k

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#14]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go here to find out more before criticizing: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=309990

Relax, terminator...it was a joke!

read this........

Oh, by the way...it's a message board, nobody keeps their remarks to themselves!!!

(ANOTHER joke!!!)
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

read this........

Oh, by the way...it's a message board, nobody keeps their remarks to themselves!!!

(ANOTHER joke!!!)

*** Remark Kept to Self ***
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#16]
BOO!

Yeah, that's what I thought, snappy response frenchman.  Take a valium.

BTW, there is a tech. forum around here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

read this........

(ANOTHER joke!!!)

It's OK for this time but don't pick on me again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top