Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 9:08:12 AM EDT
I'm a little unsure unsure what it means. whats the modern relevance of it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Amendment III

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

It's a direct consequence of the revolutionary war when the british forced us to feed/board their soldiers.......
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]
British troops would force homeowners to quarter their men at times. This amendment was to assure the populace that we wouldn't do it without just compensation. That's it in a nutshell.

ETA: Modern revelance is that you won't have to house US troops without compensation if the need arose.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The modern equivalent would be the military "requisitioning" your house during a state of emergency.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The British used to house troops with locals rather than having barracks.  Just because the practice isn't done now doesn't mean that the ideal isn't a wise one.  Can you imagine the government forcing you (against your will) to feed and house a NG soldier if a flood occured nearby.  The 3rd ammendment makes it a non issue.

It's another protection of individual liberty.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amendment III

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

It's a direct consequence of the revolutionary war when the british forced us to feed/board their soldiers.......

The part in red... What does that mean in todays society?  What happens if there is a Waco near your place....  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amendment III

The part in red... What does that mean in todays society?  What happens if there is a Waco near your place....  

"Time of War" would mean a declared war.  Even a law school flunkie couldn't fail to slam dunk this one...

Hell, we are so hesitant to use such terms, that  we have men in combat in two countries right now, and have racked up over 1,000 dead, and still haven't declared war.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#7]
The third amendment clearly shows the the concerns and worries of the framers were often quite different than ours.  I'm not even sure there is any case law on the 3rd.  I think if the framers could have seen our future, they would have strengthened and clarified the second amendment and traded away the third for something that would limit .gov growth and power.  And they would have done a better job of defining the powers under the Commerce Clause.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#8]
i wonder how that applies to police setting up a base of operations in a business that just happens to be across the street from a bank during a robbery and hostage negotiation?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#9]
The third amendment is obsolete.  Like the second amendment.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Wine was always used in Church but prohibition still got passed, watch out for the 1st Amendmendment too, it didn't start with mccain/feingold.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#11]
The real key to the 3rd ammendment is:"But in a manner to be prescribed by law".
Which means that congress may pass a law at any time allowing soldiers to be quartered/fed, in anyones personal residence/business ,by the owner of said property.
If you check the Uniform Emergency medical powers act{I think it is called something like that}, you will see that the law needed to bypass the 3rd ammendment has already been passed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The modern equivalent would be the military "requisitioning" your house during a state of emergency.

Yeah, but your local PD can take your house for days, trash it, without so much as a thank you if there is someone holed up nearby.

( Baltimore - Joseph Palzinski case)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top