Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 7:50:10 AM EDT
Fifth/Third bank has decided to ban guns in Ohio.  Let them know that you won't bank at any of their locations until the signs come down in Ohio.  You can let them know at

Phone: 1-800-972-3030
email: www.53.com/wps/portal/contact?forward=GeneralInquiry

Fifth/Third operates in: Ohio Illinois Kentucky Tennessee Indiana West Virginia Michigan Florida

Don't let them get away with this.  The last thing we need is 5/3 doing this across the country.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they believe that robbers will obey their policy and leave their guns outside when they rob one of their locations??  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Maybe they believe that robbers will obey their policy and leave their guns outside when they rob one of their locations??  

Of course! After all, they're "otherwise" law-abiding citizens, right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
So... If the bad guys rob a bank in OH, and say, shoot someone, does that mean you, as the law-abiding CCW holder that ran through all the hoops and paid fees and (in OH) had your name and address published by the newspaper, can sue Fifth Third bank for millions?

Because they have basically taken your safety in their hands, right? They're guaranteeing that their banks are so safe that you can leave your legal CCW at home...?

Man if I were a lawyer and this happened I'd have a FIELD DAY.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Free BTT.

I can't wait for the "CCW means concealed, who's gonna know" boys to chime in, as if that's the purpose this thread.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
ot: what's up with that name? (fifth third) I've always wondered.

ok:

"Fifth Third traces its origins to the Bank of the Ohio Valley, which opened its doors in Cincinnati in 1858. In 1871, that bank was purchased by the Third National Bank. With the turn of the century came the union of the Third National Bank and the Fifth National Bank, and eventually the organization became known as "Fifth Third Bank." Since its beginning, Fifth Third has provided superior customer service and followed sound banking principles. "

Doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid name.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So... If the bad guys rob a bank in OH, and say, shoot someone, does that mean you, as the law-abiding CCW holder that ran through all the hoops and paid fees and (in OH) had your name and address published by the newspaper, can sue Fifth Third bank for millions?

Because they have basically taken your safety in their hands, right? They're guaranteeing that their banks are so safe that you can leave your legal CCW at home...?

Uh, actually you wouldn't.  It's their property and they have the right to bar people with CCW.  If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere, and btw I hope lots of customers do.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Banks are "Pistol Free Zones" in Michigan. CCW in a bank is strictly verboten.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

where did you get this information?

edit: Here is a list of the areas you cannot carry on. Banks are not included; click here

BTW my CC license has a slightly different list from the website (namely it says ANY place that sells alcohol whereas the website says "A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises"... ) but I pay it safe regardless. I don't go to many places that have actual bars in them anyway.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, actually you wouldn't.  It's their property and they have the right to bar people with CCW.  If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere, and btw I hope lots of customers do.  

True... but my main point is... would a lawyer be able to prove that the bank "guaranteed" the safety of the people inside it via the action of banning legal CCWs?

That's the point I was really making.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True... but my main point is... would a lawyer be able to prove that the bank "guaranteed" the safety of the people inside it via the action of banning legal CCWs?

That's the point I was really making.

I agree. Some say go elsewhere, but the fact is that 5/3 is guaranteeing your safety by posting that prohibition. A Prudent Man has no reason to doubt that 5/3 has taken appropriate steps toward this end. A Prudent Man could then leave the weapon in the car.
If 5/3 or any other CCW-prohibiting establishment were to have a robbery and a CCW holder get injured, 5/3 is therefore liable because they have assumed the risk. sue them into bankruptcy!

Don't let anybody tell you it won't fly in court, they just don't know. You can sue over anything, whether or not it flies depends upon the whims of a judge.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to last year? This is nothing new. Sad, but not new.

ETA: Some 5/3 banks can be found inside other retail locations (like Krogers) that are NOT posted.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Free BTT.

I can't wait for the "CCW means concealed, who's gonna know" boys to chime in, as if that's the purpose this thread.

You already said it.  Although the bank's mentality is skewed, it is up to YOU to protect yourself, rather than trying to make a statement of revealing your CCW.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Just use the drive up window. . . .
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Side note:  What the everloving shit?  Fifth Third bank?  That is like "First Samco", but much worse.  What was being smoked when they came up with that name?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Not that it matters, but the cop who was shot last week in Columbus was shot in a fifth-third bank.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#17]
btt
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's the same way in MS, but I've never seen any signs anywhere in the banks I visit, no any other business that has that reputation, except the hospital.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just use the drive up window. . . .

I knew sooner or later a dumbass would come in that didnt realize what the idea of the thread was about...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the same way in MS, but I've never seen any signs anywhere in the banks I visit, no any other business that has that reputation, except the hospital.

Except it's not that way in Michigan. Steve was mistaken.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#21]
A useful alternative to griping would be to post Ohio banks that DO allow CCW and that have decent coverage of branches. I would switch.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Sad but they indeed do think so.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A useful alternative to griping would be to post Ohio banks that DO allow CCW and that have decent coverage of branches. I would switch.

Most do not, for example, National City, Provident, PNC and Bank One are not posted.  Keep hammering 5/3
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#24]
As a person in the banking profession, I would guess that either state or federal examiners recently audited their bank and probably pitched a fit when they did not have up the signs and they probably had a policy in place that forbid deadly weapons inside their bank. I know mine had to switch our sign out front because it did not match our policy, now it states no concealed or visable deadly weapons. It is my guess they were just covering their butts just to make them happy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Not the case at all.  It is a choice being made by 5/3 in Ohio.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#26]
there are quite a few banks that have adopted that  policy.  pretty stupid, because its just keeping the honest people honest.  

what happens if you get caught with a concealed weapon in a place that has them banned?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top