Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 6:10:34 PM EDT
I'm considering throwing one of those simulated fire setups into my fireplace.  I've got a pretty sweet fireplace.  The actual fireplace is the typical size, but the brick face is about 8 feet wide and runs from floor to ceiling.  The hearth (might be the wrong term) is 3 bricks high and projects out 3 (lengthwise).  Right now, I the flue is closed and I just have some old gum logs in there as decoration behind a brass screen and glass door.

I used it some years ago, but quickly stopped because it wasn't worth the effort.  I like fires, but dislike constantly stoking them and waking up with my heat pumps roaring attempting to replace the heat that is escaping up the chimney through the open flue over the dead ex-fire.

I know that these sumulated fires are cheesy, so my question is whether or not there a model that minimizes the level of cheesyness.  It's going to be behind the same screen and glass, so if it is even partially realistic it might work out.  This is why it will be cruical that I see the specific model before I buy.  I have yet to even look around...

Has anybody done this?  

Oh, and I'm not interested in a gas log, as I'm not on a gas line, and I'm not about to get a propane contract for this menial thing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
teh ghey

ETA:  If you have a gas line, install one of those gas insert stoves.  They look nice and crank out alot of heat.  And the flame is real!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
teh ghey

ETA:  If you have a gas line, install one of those gas insert stoves.  They look nice and crank out alot of heat.  And the flame is real!  

Not on a line...  

Was raised in a household where dad was a thermostat nazi and froze us out.  Thus, one of the luxuries I grant myself is a comfortable house regardless of cost.  So my winter electric bill is $100 bucks per month higher than it could have been if I adopted the eskimo lifestyle, BFD.  I'll spend the bucks, and wear short sleeves thanks...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
teh ghey

+1 definatly ghey
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry, DP, but I couldn't, in good conscience, endorse what you're suggesting.

Is there any way to have the flue close automatically, or to throw a few more logs on before hitting the rack to keep the fire going all night?

It sounds like you'd ruin a beautiful fireplace, dude....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm sorry, DP, but I couldn't, in good conscience, endorse what you're suggesting.

Is there any way to have the flue close automatically, or to throw a few more logs on before hitting the rack to keep the fire going all night?

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not going to ruin it as nothing would be permanent.  If it sucks, I just would pull it out and toss it like a crudded up toaster.  If I can't find one that's acceptable, I won't even do it.  

Here's from the mantle up...

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldnt mess with it myself, the ones I saw looked kinda bootleg, plus I like burning things.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Those electric "inserts" are ridiculous.  Even the "gas logs" are iffy, but at least they produce flame.  How about putting in a nook for a propane BBQ cylinder and piping that to the fireplace?

(Can you bring simulated fire onto a plane?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top