Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 2:33:56 PM EDT
Here's a scenario that I've thought of a few times, but never seen addressed anywhere. Since we're full of threads involving suspicious people in parking lots, I thought this would fit right in.

Say you're walking out of the bookstore with a new book (by yourself). About halfway to your car, a suspicious-looking person asks you for some money. You tell him no, and he starts becoming more insistent. You're starting to feel threatened. So, what do you do with the book? Hold onto it and draw one handed? Drop it and draw? Throw it at the BG and draw?

What if it was a couple of gangbangers with their hands under their coats?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Weapon hand is ALWAYS empty.  Carry everything in your off hand.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yeah, I included that in the assumption. You're carrying it off-hand, but do you hold onto it and use the gun one-handed, or drop it and use both hands?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

Throw it at his face while drawing, that'll give you the split second you need to break leather and double-tap COM.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Wal Mart and six bags plus a case of Pepsi

How can you carry them in one hand?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Throw the book at him and then shoot.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Drop it or use a cart
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I use a cart because I'll be darned if my lazy ass has to go through more than the minimum effort to Mozambique drill some mugger's ass to kingdom come.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Heres something I always think about.  What happens if you get mugged in a trainstation and you only need $3 more to get a ticket home and you ask some guy coming out of a book store for a random act of kindness and the fucker shoots you center of mass 3 times.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I'm the rare bird that only draws his handgun if I feel my life is threatened. Around here we get lots of beggars/pan-handlers in the parking lots. Aside from it being against the law in AZ to draw down if not in life-threatening situation, I always carry pepper spray for just these situations. My shootin' hand is almost always free and I have my ASP Palm-Defender in left hand when walking to the car. I have been in this situation a couple times and after a 2nd firm "Get the Fuck away!", they left me alone. If anyone cared to get closer that arms reach, I would blast them with some hot sauce. In this particular situation I suppose I would have Palm Defender and book bag in left hand and if they subject got too close, I would get a grip on my handgun with right hand "just in case".
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ever heard of the new invention:  shopping carts?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Throw the book at him and then shoot.  Problem solved.

+22.3
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]
You should only draw if you feel your lifes in immediate danger and if you do feel threatened then dropping 10 bucks worth of groceries on the ground really doesn't matter.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Say "No Thanks" to whomever asks.

It confuses them, and you get time to walk away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top