Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 12:11:57 PM EDT
my german shepard is around 8 Y/o anyways lately it has had alot of heath problems, mostly seems to be throwing up, which in turn has caused it to lose a lot of weight. It doesn't really want to go on long walks any more but the kicker has been its has a couple accidents in the house.

Also its getting really lazy it will just take a crap right next to the house it wont walk out to the back yard.

so what do you guys think, my opinion is we should let it be and have a few more months living? the rest of the family wants to off him?

I guess it wont get better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all, it's your dog, so screw what everyone else thinks.

Do you really feel the dog is not going to get better, only you know that.

If it was my dog I would try a variety of different foods and see if he improves based on that. A lot of time problems like you are describing can be solved by switching up the dog's diet. He might be allergic to something he has been eating.

Edited to add: Sometimes a dog can eat 1 food it's whole life and then out of the blue become allergic to it so give the different food thing a shot.

Good luck!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you taken em' to the vet to see what's wrong with em'?

We just put down my mom's 8 y/o shepard on Friday.  One of the shittiest feelings I have ever had.  Still do.  So if it's something medical that could possible be fixed, find out!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
it all boils down to whether or not he's still enjoying life- if he's not then it's time to let him go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear about your dog's situation. I just went through two similar situations with my two dogs and had to put both down. It is never an easy decision. You will know when it is time to stop their suffering.

The new dog (new to me - appx 7 yrs old) that I rescued a few months later from a county pound that is currenly sleeping on my lap has helped some...

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My oldtown country veterinarian summed up the decision on putting a dog down, or not, as the case may be, as a function of the answer to these questions:

Are you keeping the dog alive, or putting it down, for your own comfort, satisfaction and feelings, or for those of the animal?  Whose interests are you furthering with your decision, and why?

I've found it to be good advice.  Sometimes doing the right thing hurts.  It hurts a lot.   But doing the wrong thing and causing needless additional suffering that you don't happent to have to physically deal with is not the way to go.

Best of luck with this difficult decision.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Hard to say without being there but it sounds like time to me.  Your call though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
What has the vet said? Just because the dog's hating life right now doesn't mean it isn't something fixable. You've got to know what's wrong before you can decide the right way to deal with it!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The PETVET says...................ASK YOUR VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
What's his quality of life?  What's the Vet say?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
... You've got to know what's wrong before you can decide the right way to deal with it!

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are anything like me and my family where our two labs are FAMILY MEMBERS and not just pets to be rid of at the first sign of trouble, you would take your dog to the vet, and have him/her checked out. It could be something minor that is causing the doggy to not be able to keep food down, which in turn is causing weakness. I noticed you called your pet "it". Is this a loved and cherished family member, or just a dang dog to you.

Your call, but look into those big brown eyes and look into your dog's soul. What do you see. Pain and anguish, or a loved one who needs medical attention.

8 years is not very old for a larger dog.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Why are you asking us? Take it to the vet and see whats wrong.  It may just a some kind of infection or illness that can be readily cured.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quality of Life?   Is he suffering?   Does he have any joy in his life?  Is his condition treatable?  Is the treatment worse than the condition?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#14]
is any of your family, members of the local PD?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#15]
ndenway

your a real funny fucker
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I always look at the quality of life. I will not keep a dog alive just for my own personal selfishness. I have a cocker that has seizures,and at times she loses control of her bladder. That is due to her age 11 years old. She still bombs around the yard like a much younger dog. So just because she may have an accident once in awhile I won't put her down. We have a blind and deaf 13 year old springer spaniel,would I put him down just because he is blind and deaf No. He still gets around just fine as long as we don't move anything that he knows where it is. I have put down a cocker who had cancer and it went into her lungs and she couldn't get up and walk,her quality of life was not good. I also put down a shephard mix who had cancer and was bleeding internally,so I look at those things and make my decision. It is not alway an easy one,but I do not want my friend suffering needlessly. As long as they still have a good quality of life then NO I would not put them down,if they are suffering and you can see it then absolutely yes.
Good luck in your decision,it is not an easy one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]
8 isn't terribly old for a dog.
Do as others have advised and take a trip to the vet to ask for advise there on reinvigorating your dog.

Next time any member of the family suggests putting the dog down, say that you might agree but only on condition that you can do the same with them when they get old, inactive and have any sort of "accident" which leaves a puddle (or worse) on the floor.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Crapping next to the house?  Is that a problem?  Just pick up after the dog.

Throwing up can be solved with one Pepsid tablet a day--check with your vet.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Shoot the dog and save it's (and yours) misery.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Call the cops.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
If its sick and miserable kill it, I hope someone would have the same decency to do it to me if I was bad off.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Your dog took care of you for most of its years, you take care of it now that it needs you.  It is your dog, you determine what is the right thing to do... see a vet, ask if with medication and other care can your dog be made comfortable. If not, you may seek other options.  

Your dog, your problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Take care of it yourself.  Don't let someone else do it for you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. I lost my Catahoula of 10 years last week and am still devestated. There are special foods for older dogs and even ones for sensitive stomachs. My sister inlaw used this sensitive stomach from her vet on her first Shepard with good results. You can also moisten the dry food with warm water. You could try chicken breast and rice. This is the best meat for dogs.  The rice will be good for making the coat shiney. Good luck and let us know how things are going.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#26]
i sent you an IM...
GSD's..are very prone to stomach ailments..some easy to fix..some...are not..

a competent..dog vet..knowledgable in GSD will help you..
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I hate these threads. Pets are so cool yet i dont want anymore because of the heartache I had with the decision of putting them down. And worse. explaining to the kids that they are gone forever.

I say if you have the money to fix the dog... DO IT! unless the quality of life will be so bad.

I dont know what to say, its just a crappy situation. But dont let everyone tell you what to do. Its YOUR decision. With that, I wish you the best.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
my german shepard is around 8 Y/o anyways lately it has had alot of heath problems, mostly seems to be throwing up, which in turn has caused it to lose a lot of weight. It doesn't really want to go on long walks any more but the kicker has been its has a couple accidents in the house.

Also its getting really lazy it will just take a crap right next to the house it wont walk out to the back yard.

so what do you guys think, my opinion is we should let it be and have a few more months living? the rest of the family wants to off him?

I guess it wont get better.

I understand what your going through but many here think it's "just property" and that you should put a bullet in it's head.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Just this morning one of my co-workers told of his dog doing the same for a month or so. He took the dog to the vet. The dog had pancreitis (sp). Vet fed him anti-biotics and special dog food for three days. The dog is as lively as ever.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#31]
it's a sad thing when the dogs days are numbered, think of his quality of life, the shot is painless wish people could get them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top