Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2005 9:32:54 AM EDT
I could never get the appeal of watching other people play sports.  I actually am in the gymn more days than not, out running etc.  I can, and do, play sports, but what's the interest in watching someone else do it?

And it's not like the teams are really from your town, the players come from all over to the highest bidder, so there isn't really any hometown connection.

I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#1]
+1

never saw the point in watching someone else 'do their thing' unless they were close family or friends.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Professional sports are part of the entertainment business.  I just don't find it that entertaining anymore.  Every tackle or completion or successful run from scrimmage is followed with some sort of tribal dance performed by illiterate millionaires (soon to be ex-millionaires).

Worse than the game of the field is the babble from the booth.  With the exception of Michaels and Madden, the game commentators say shit that will puree your brain if you pay too much attention to it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I enjoy going to a baseball game with my sons. Not much else.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I love the NFL.  Don't give a shit about the others.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Professional sports?

I'd rather watch paint dry.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm somewhere between I can watch,but I don't really much care and
I hate that shit, I'd rather watch the Weather Channel
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I catch myself watching an occasional boxing match. but more often than not, i'll just flip to the boxing during commercials.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't care much for most pro sports except football and hockey now and then.

I like the game of football and I always wanted play, but I am too small. (5'7", 125lbs, very skinny) So, I like to watch the game and analyze the plays, tactics, etc.

I agree that the whole tackle/score celebration is getting to be too much. I really think it should be clamped down on VERY hard. It's about the sport and competition..not showing off.

If football continues on its current path, I doubt I will be watching it in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't care.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup, the only professional sport that I enjoy watching is automobile racing of any form, especially rally racing. Everything else bores me to tears and always has.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll watch pro sports with friends at a party,and will occasionally go to a minor league baseball game or college lacrosse game. Never watch them on TV, since I don't have one.
I'll play softball and lacrosse in summer leagues, but don't care to watch others play.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Professional sports...Am I the only one who just doesn't give a shit?

No there are at least two of us!

I could not possibly care less!

Make that 3....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Professional sports are part of the entertainment business.  I just don't find it that entertaining anymore.  Every tackle or completion or successful run from scrimmage is followed with some sort of tribal dance performed by illiterate millionaires (soon to be ex-millionaires).

Worse than the game of the field is the babble from the booth.  With the exception of Michaels and Madden, the game commentators say shit that will puree your brain if you pay too much attention to it.

You must not be listening that closely to Madden. The shit that comes out of his mouth is downright absurd sometimes. I agree with you on Michaels though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh man, I HATE professional sports with a passion!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I can care less about pro sports period. I talk to some of my friends and they cannot tell you who the vice president is but can tell you the history and statistics of every single player on the local NFL football team. I played football in school and still can care less about any pro team. I think many former jocks turn out to be losers. Once they get out of High School, their world crumbles when they realize their shit actually stinks. I saw a few former jocks who could not hack the military because no one gave a shit about what they played in school to the Drill Sergeant they were just another maggot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Like to play a few sports, but why woudl I sit and watch a buch of savages chase a ball around.
I wonder what these guys who live for this shit are compensating for? I see guys all the time at work that can only talk about what other people do (not just athletes). They are pathetic, and if I cared I would feel sorry for them.
I'll be in a situation where those in the area have the opportunity just to be quiet if there's nothing to say, and there is always one guy who'll look at you and mention the latest sports topic.
For all you guys who "talk sports" when there's nothing to say: STFU! It's OK to be quiet! Don't open your mouth to let me know what you do when you could be doing something!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I am sadly discovering that "I'm interested, but not obsessed" with hockey... which is my favorite sport.

They're all overpaid IMHO. But I like sports enough.

BTW you shooters DO know you're by default active in the "Shooting Sports" right?  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I am sadly discovering that "I'm interested, but not obsessed" with hockey... which is my favorite sport.

You say that now but just wait 'til they get back out on the ice.  You'll be glued to every update just like I will.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I want to retch when I see "sportscasters" gushing over some illiterate gangster "athlete".

A friend of mine refers to pro sports as Opiate of the Masses. I believe he's right.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I’d rather watch grass grow, water evaporate, etc……….I do get a kick out of people that spend $30 for a $5 Tee-shirt that has some ‘Roid’ monkey’s number on it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's one manifestation of the current problem in major league sports:

This morning I heard on the radio that Carlos Beltran was going to sign with a fat $119M, seven year contract with the Mets.  This includes all sorts of perks and other bonuses.

Now...Beltran is a very good player...but is he THAT good?

Here are his stats:msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player?categoryId=85146

Lifetime .284 hitter, 38 dingers last year, up over his average.  Apparently he bulked up over the 2003/2004 winter .  He is a .490 slugging average...so he's pretty good with the bat...but that is still a ton of cash.

Then we have all of the druggies, the thugs in hockey, the  part time criminals, the scofflaws who kill people and walk, basically the dregs of a spoiled society who happen to be incredibly gifted athletes.

Fools that we are, we keep giving them our $$$ and cheering lustily when they drop a 30' three, or toss a fifty yard TD pass, or put the puck in the net from center ice.

I used to be a real fanatic...no longer though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#23]
If sports events were the only shows on TV, I'd sell it.  That would probably be a good idea anyway.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I think it was the movie "A Bronx Tale" when the mobster asked the kid "do you think that Mickey Mantle gives a shit about you or your family?, then why do you care about him" Or something to that effect.

Pro sports are a waste of time IMO. Unless of course you are a gambler who relies on sports for an income. But even those guys don't really care about any team unless that team is going to make them some $$$$
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Personally for me, I'm not that interested in pro-sports. Many times, I will watch just to find out what other people are watching, but if I find something else better to do, I'm gone. But I'm pretty much in the minority, if you look at their salaries, they're way out of this world.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

They're all overpaid IMHO. But I like sports enough.

I believe that they are paid the market price--i.e., they are not overpayed.

They obviously bring some sort of joy to millions of fans. They are paid as a direct consequence of that.

In the free market, people tend to get the pay they should get based upon what they provide for others.

The fact that I don't give a rat's ass about professional sports doesn't matter. At least as long as I'm free to spend my cash where I want.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm somewhere between I can watch,but I don't really much care and
I hate that shit, I'd rather watch the Weather Channel

+1

I used to watch the college football games, but lately, I just don't care much.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I used to watch basketball, just couldn't stand it when they started letting them hang on the rim like a bunch of apes.  Haven't watched a whole game of anything in at least ten years.  Sometimes when I'm at the in-laws they are watching football and every time someone scores or does something he's proud of, there again they start acting like apes.  I won't watch that crap.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You say that now but just wait 'til they get back out on the ice.  You'll be glued to every update just like I will.  

You know it! But for now... I've surprised myself with how little I'm thinking about hockey. I used to talk, think, breathe and live hockey. I have hockey T shirts, I started a hockey T shirt company. I used to play hockey. I collect game worn hockey jerseys. My best friend is an even bigger hockey nut than I am.

And through all that... I haven't really thought about hockey except to be angry at both sides.  

I know that all will be forgiven when they re-start the league though.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Nope, I don't give a shit about any of it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Love football.  Always have and always will until they get too "NBA".  Admittedly,  they're getting too close for comfort.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#33]
A bunch of overpaid thugs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I could never get the appeal of watching other people play sports.  I actually am in the gymn more days than not, out running etc.  I can, and do, play sports, but what's the interest in watching someone else do it?

And it's not like the teams are really from your town, the players come from all over to the highest bidder, so there isn't really any hometown connection.

I just don't get it.

I feel the exact same way! It's like you read my mind.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I love the NFL.  

+1

REDSKINS fan here, only 6 months until training camp..
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#37]
i like college sports, in pro sports only teams i follow/pull for are the Carolina Panthers and the Braves
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#38]
If it uses a stick or a ball, it is NOT a sport, it is a game.

I don't play games.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Professional sports?

I'd rather watch paint dry.

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
+1

never saw the point in watching someone else 'do their thing' unless they were close family or friends.

Yeah, that's me as well for the most part.  Only exceptions would be if a local team made the playoffs and had a chance of doing well. I'd pay a bit of attention then.  But since this hasn't happened in years, I haven't watched in years

I do try to watch the super bowl however.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I gave up on professional sports years ago.  Nothing but marketing and pushing product.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I gave up on professional sports years ago.  Nothing but marketing and pushing product.  

I agree. I remember years ago when all the "pro" sports were striking for more pay. This doof from the NBA (a Playa) was on the national news doing an interview telling us how he was no longer able to provide for his family since he was only bringing in $700,000. BOOHOO!

That was when I decided that pro sports didn't need any more of my money or support.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#43]
I love football, with high school football being my favorite. Yes, a lot of the athletes are spoiled crybabies. I will not paint them all with the same broad brush. They are not all thugs and gangstas. I usually only watch the NBA during playoffs. A lot of people hate pro athletes just because they are jealous of the money they make. Like a guy that I used to work with, he loved it when anything bad happened to someone he thought had a lot of money (or at least more than him). If someone had car troubles or house problems he'd just eat it up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#44]
If it's not  the UFC or PRIDE Fighting, I'm not interested.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I hate them simply for the fact that they get paid ridiculous amounts of money for playing a sport, look at what we pay our teachers, cops, military, firemen and emergency medical personnel.  These people are the backbone of our society and they can barely make a living.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Midget Sumo Wrestling seems to be the only "pure" sport left, where the participants really love the thrill  of a "bag bite" or "titty twister", and they do not seem to be spoiled by the fame and money yet.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#47]
nerds
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#48]
When I was a kid, I was very interested in pro sports.  But that was many years ago.  What's happened in the meantime to greatly reduce my interest is:

1)  Change in the racial makeup of the leagues particularly football and basketball.  I can't identify with it anymore.  Now I know how black people felt when the players were predominately caucasion.  They didn't tune in.

2)  Expansion of the leagues and resulting dilution of talent.  

3)  Regular re-design of uniforms and team logos.  Heritage and tradition mean little when a new owner takes over.  It's one thing when the team changes cities, but when they stay and change the uniforms, it seems like a new team moved to town.

4)  The end of World Series games played during the day.  Sneaking a radio into school to listen to the games or the kindly phys ed teacher letting us watch during class gave the Series an 'exclusive' attraction.  It was special because it was hard to get.  Interleague play makes the Series look like any other game.  Nothing special.

5)  The emphasis on pro sports arenas/stadiums as being places catering to business entertainment.  The gap between the haves and have nots is very pronounced in today's modern stadium that can't seem to cram in enough skyboxes.  If I am going to see a pro baseball game, I much prefer the Triple A game in the minor leagues.  Smaller venues, clean, low cost compared to major leagues, more convenient parking, and seats closer to the field.

6)  A playoff season that never seems to end.  Even mediocre teams make the playoffs in basketball.

7)  Games take too long.  The TV timeout has done a great job of introducing unnecessary idleness into the contests.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#49]
It's all about big business. I'd rather not pay some guy to cry about not getting enough money, smoke crack or shoot his pregnant girlfriend/limo driver. The only time I have ever gone to a Pro game the tickets were given to me for free.  I stopped buying the pro team merchandise years ago. I don't watch it or read about it. Then again it's the same with politics and colleges too, all about the money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Lost interest when Dave Winfield, signed by the Yankees a long time ago, was getting $10 million a year.  A career lifetime hitter with a .280 average and about 25/30 homers a season.  Since then cable tv has made a joke out of saleries.  Basketball players who can't figure out where the bill of a cap goes, front, back or sideways.  College football players who have trouble with the English language.  Sorry, the money is a sore spot for me.  Sorry about this rant.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top