Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 6:25:21 AM EDT
Yesterday I went down the the range to fire my Ruger 10/22. At one ponit I forgot to put my hearing proctection back on, and fired. The blast from the rifle was not bad at all. In fact it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Can you still suffer hearing loss from firing a .22 without hearing proctection?

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I seriously doubt you can - but better safe that sorry, I guess.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Hearing damage is a result of both intensity (decivels) and time. A lower level signal (say, 90 db)s can still cause hearing loss if heard for a long duration whereas a high intensity signal (say, 150 dbs) can cause immediate damage.
I would venture to say a .22 would be fine to shot without hearing protection but then again theres no sense risking it either. Better safe then sorry.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:30:57 AM EDT
[#3]
When I take my 6 year old son out shooting, we start off with muffs on...  by the end of the session, we are shooting without any hearing protection.  22 rimfire, long rifle.

We do wear glasses the entire time.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
i've never had any problems from a 22, been shooting them since i was old enough to hold one..never once made my ears ring. anything bigger, i use plugs or muffs or something.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:34:51 AM EDT
[#5]
definitely better safe than sorry, over time I'm sure it would have an effect
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When I take my 6 year old son out shooting, we start off with muffs on...  by the end of the session, we are shooting without any hearing protection.  22 rimfire, long rifle.

We do wear glasses the entire time.

dont do that.. my grandpa was a hunter/shooter his entire life, never wore ear protection, guy was deaf as a door knob.   You should be teaching your 6 old good firearm safety.. which includes hearing protection.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes with a lot of rounds over a number of years.

Wear ear plugs or muffs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can you still suffer hearing loss from firing a .22 without hearing proctection?

This is a been there, done that, lost the hearing Yes.

Protect those ears. It sucks when you lose them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
definitely better safe than sorry, over time I'm sure it would have an effect

+1

I usually don't use the Muffs, but I always use plugs.  I 'double up' when using anything else.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yesterday I went down the the range to fire my Ruger 10/22. At one ponit I forgot to put my hearing proctection back on, and fired. The blast from the rifle was not bad at all. In fact it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Can you still suffer hearing loss from firing a .22 without hearing proctection?

ABSOLUTELY

If given the choice, protect your hearing.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#11]
.22lr gives off a high frequency when discharged. I dont recommend going with out hearing protection,
at leat wear plugs
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I personally think hearing protention is unnecessary for a .22 LR rifle.  I do wear hearing protection for my .17 and .22 magnum rifle and any larger rifles and all pistols.  I have yet to suffer any measurable hearing loss after 15 years shooting.  

My $.02

But wearing protection if you think it will help prevent hearing loss.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Pistol, yes wear protection.
Rifle, according to the ammo.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I wear plugs at a minimum. With larger calibers, plugs plus muffs. I also wear plugs under m/c helmet. I've lost so much of my HF hearing over the years, and I'd like to keep what I've got.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:05:42 AM EDT
[#15]
YES! By GOD! It's not just the decibel level, it's the PITCH that will gradually affect your hearing. You should ALWAYS wear either muffs or plugs, indoors? BOTH! If you're firing under any type of structure, even a tarp, you need them especially. If the noise can reflect off anything nearby you should wear them, and you should wear something anyway.

Working at a range with kids on it, we can't stress this enough. I personally always wear unless I am hunting, I'd rather not deal with them for just the one shot, unless I plan to shoot more than 3 or 4 times, like duck hunting I suppose.

You might feel okay right away, but even then sometimes the loss can be unseen. You ear heals well, but over time it doesn't heal 100% at all. If you talk to some older guys that have been shooting for awhile, they're deaf as hell.

Anyone under the age of 18 should wear at all times, everyone else its their choice. Children need to because they are still developing, and you don't want to get any hearing damage in that stage.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

what
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top