Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 7:29:08 PM EDT
Should I stay in the course? I would have the oppertunity to write a paper at the end of this course as a grade. I just feel that I would be too antagonistic to him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean he is teaching it or in it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do you mean he is teaching it or in it?

+1

Makes all the difference

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, by all means stay in it.............and maybe you can educate him
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#6]
He is actually teaching the course.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#7]
How in the FUCK does a guy with that agenda get in the position to TEACH.

I smell a fire mission here, folks.   Someone needs to get LaPierre on the phone, pronto.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
He is actually teaching the course.

oh, time for some fun, hope you brushed up on your debate skills

I stayed in an anthropology class just to debate with the asshat liberal french immigrant professor.  he was good at spouting rhetoric, but I was much better at debating and kicked his ass in front of the whole class a few times.

and I still got an A, that was a good time
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I you decide to stay, I would imagine the hive-mind would be more than willing to help with assignments and such.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#10]
My debate skills are well honed. I've actually heard that there may be two other pro-gun students in the class and I personally know some on the fence students (who I have taken shooting). No need to call LaPiearr(?). I know the deputy general counsel at the NRA. I'll see if I can get some unbiased research materials from him.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#11]
exactly !
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe my paper will be an analysis of the constitutional/social contract aspects of private ownership of arms with regard to the Supreme Court's rulings on the availability of police protection.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Stay in the class, make him earn his money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My debate skills are well honed. I've actually heard that there may be two other pro-gun students in the class and I personally know some on the fence students (who I have taken shooting). No need to call LaPiearr(?). I know the deputy general counsel at the NRA. I'll see if I can get some unbiased research materials from him.

By all means stay in the class and teach the guy a lesson.  Be calm, collected and ruthlessly logical.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I think that I will not tell anyone in the class that I am a NRA member. That way liberal students can't discount my opinions out of hand.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#16]
WTF school is this?  Thats like making the grand wizard of the klan proffesor of "Race Relations in Contemporary America"
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Contact the NRA and get that pig fired.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

By all means stay in the class and teach the guy a lesson.  Be calm, collected and ruthlessly logical.

Yep.

I'd have copies and printouts of articles and statistics.  If he starts blabbing on about something, call him on it, and then cite your source.  Get things like the CDC and DOJ reports on the AWB, and the recent DOJ report about the 2nd Amendment being an individual right.

Head over to www.keepandbeararms.com

Be ruthlessly logical and cite your sources.  Make him dance.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I go to the American University Law School. Very Liberal. I'll start priniting thing out from keep- and-bear-arms. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of these resources ans web-sites. I don't want to have to Westlaw every single issue of contention.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you care about the grade, or do you care about gaining a better understanding of the law, and your enemy?

Make good arguements.  Be prepared to get screwed on the paper.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Guncite.com I think.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#22]
In my experience, a good way to get shitty grades is to disagree with a liberal professor's biases.  I'd get out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#23]
stay in the class and save everything, if you get a crappy drade you didn't deserve, take it to the dean.  Brush up on gun law before you go in.  The Gunfacts PDF is an excellent tool.  There's a lot of us on this board who know federal law well enough to help you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
In my experience, a good way to get shitty grades is to disagree with a liberal professor's biases.  I'd get out.

+1
I've gotten my only C's by doing this
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#25]
good place for debate facts..

www.gunfacts.info

fuck this guy over big time
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok. I had my first class. Initial impressions, Barnes will try to be fair. I told him my reservations right from the start. He told me to bring in the people I know at the NRA so that we could have better class discussions. He said it would be great if Chris Cox or one of the General Counsels could talk during the class.

Before I told him anything about my self I asked him a few questions. First I asked him what their prospects looked during the next term. He said that they were awful (obvious). He also stated that the NRA, CCKABA, and GOA are the most powerful lobbies/ activist groups in the pro gun camp. This is important because he followed up with the critique that the NRA's claimed membership is always in doubt and that the actual numbers may be less than their claimed numbers. Everyone should be a member of the NRA; Period.

I know the Marines will hate to hear this but he was a former marine.

Enemy

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

ooooohhh...

No suprise here. Even Americas best breed Americas worst.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#28]

He used to be a marine and now he is a lying gun grabbing scumbag.  First to worst.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#29]
SUBSCRIBE
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Ok. I had my first class. Initial impressions, Barnes will try to be fair. I told him my reservations right from the start. He told me to bring in the people I know at the NRA so that we could have better class discussions. He said it would be great if Chris Cox or one of the General Counsels could talk during the class.

Before I told him anything about my self I asked him a few questions. First I asked him what their prospects looked during the next term. He said that they were awful (obvious). He also stated that the NRA, CCKABA, and GOA are the most powerful lobbies/ activist groups in the pro gun camp. This is important because he followed up with the critique that the NRA's claimed membership is always in doubt and that the actual numbers may be less than their claimed numbers. Everyone should be a member of the NRA; Period.

Enemy

We should get an Arfcom membership drive going.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You won't teach him a thing. His son died at the hands of dirtbags with guns, so, instead of focussing on the deed, he focuses on the modality. Dead-end reasoning. Good luck.

ETA: whoops- my bad, it was Pete Shields, an ex-CIA guy, whose son died in a mugging. He founded HCI.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#32]
This guy has no business teaching that class. I don't care how he is sweet-talking you now.

Any ideas on how to get him removed from that position?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

"As a former member of Congress, I know what it's like to have a public record," said Handgun Control President Michael Barnes. "Governor Bush is going to have a lot of explaining to do to defend his atrocious record on guns to the American people -- the majority of whom overwhelmingly support new common-sense gun control laws."www.commondreams.org/news2000/0504-03.htm

He's roping you in.......

Before I told him anything about my self I asked him a few questions.

Don't tell him you're pro-gun. You will flunk, or worse, have a low passing grade.

First I asked him what their prospects looked during the next term. He said that they were awful (obvious). He also stated that the NRA, CCKABA, and GOA are the most powerful lobbies/ activist groups in the pro gun camp. This is important because he followed up with the critique that the NRA's claimed membership is always in doubt and that the actual numbers may be less than their claimed numbers. Everyone should be a member of the NRA; Period.

Unlike HCI/Brady, the NRA has to tell the truth, because they publish magazines for their members, and the circulation #s have to be revealed to the public. The NRA always says that it has members who pay dues, and many others who do not, much like ARFCOM and its membership program....

So was the scumbag Marine that deserted in Iraq, ended up in Beirut and is now AWOL in Canada.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm ok with him knowing my position. He would have figured it out anyway within the first day or two of debate. What I don't want is to have the rest of class pre judge any of my arguments. Now that I think about it, teh first reading assignment was kind of biased. I'll hammer every inconsistancy in the next class.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top