Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2005 7:28:56 PM EDT
About a year ago I ordered a bottle of Absinthe from www.alandia.de/absinth/index.php

I came home Saturday to find a package on my front porch.  It is another bottle of Absinthe from the same company.  I didn't order it.

It has my address and a different name.  The first name is Dave.

I sent an email to the company to ask them where this bottle really belongs and I am awaiting an answer.

Is there anyone named Dave here that ordered a bottle?  Give me your last name and what you ordered and I will forward your package.

I can't wait to receive a response from the company in Germany.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Unless your neighbor is Greek. Then don't accept anything you find on the porch.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
SEND IT TO ME! SEND IT TO ME!

I'd be your buddy forever dude!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard that stuff is pretty potent.  I first read about it after seeing it in the NIN video "a perfect drug".   What do you think of it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

If you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, where else are you going to look? None of the other openings seem very promising.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I sometimes get the mystery package and keep it.

You can always feel bad for me and give it to me though, I have had a shitty week.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, where else are you going to look? None of the other openings seem very promising.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The bottle that was shipped to me says it is "70% by volume"...isn't thaat 140 proof???  Thujon up to 10mg.

The stuff I had a year ago was so-so.  I was buzzed but didn't see the green fairy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe NASA is missing some rocket fuel.........send it to them
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't just keep something that isn't mine.  Someone paid for this and they deserve to get what they paid for.

If the company cannot straighten this out, I will aution off the bottle with proceeds going to ARFCOM memberships.

The cost of the bottle is 62 Euro = $81.00 US dollar.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That makes my sig
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Hi I'm Dave  

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats might good of you!

BTW, at 140 proof I can't imagine you would see a green fairy or anything else for that matter  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Absinthe?

Why don't you use something a little safer for your long term health,  like crystal meth or PCP, fer gossake?  

That shit was banned for good reason.

CJ

If you would take the time to read my post, you will learn that it is not mine.  I didn't order it.  It was sent to me by mistake.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Absinthe?

Why don't you use something a little safer for your long term health,  like crystal meth or PCP, fer gossake?  

CJ

+1, stuff isn't legal here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll take it....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Absinthe?

CJ

wrong...it was not legal in Europe until a couple years ago.  It has never beenn not legal in the US.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I can't just keep something that isn't mine.  Someone paid for this and they deserve to get what they paid for.

If the company cannot straighten this out, I will aution off the bottle with proceeds going to ARFCOM memberships.

The cost of the bottle is 62 Euro = $81.00 US dollar.

If you do I'll bid on it.

They probaly will let you keep it because it will cost close to thier cost if they pay you to send it back I expect.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Absinthe?

CJ

Go to the local liquor store and you'll see that it is

I think that one they have there is a slighty diffrent version with a few of the contents changed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
stuff isn't legal here.

Production and sale are not legal, but possession isn't covered.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#22]
This bottle has green herb like stuff floating around inside with a picture of Vicent Van Gogh on the label.  Or maybe I am just seeing things with it in my possession.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Calling Quietshootr!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry, I meant legal to buy or sell here.  It's still okay in Europe, or at least most parts.  If I remember, you can buy versions of it here without the active ingredient.  Even over in Europe, potency will vary and not all are going to give you the desired effect.

Collecting the drinking paraphenalia for Absinthe is popular here.  Interesting ritual.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I appreciate your candor and good morals.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Alright, WTFis it? I've heard mixed BS about it.. most of the time it's said that it contains a hallucinogen (see: poison) or whatnot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is a start with some links:WHAT IS ABSINTHE?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:20:43 AM EDT
[#29]

In the United States of America, absinthe was originally banned by Food Inspection Decision 147 in 1912. Now, thujone is banned as a food additive according to Section 801A of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act of August, 1972. Wormwood was included on a list of unsafe herbs which the FDA released in 1975.

In the U.S., traditional Absinthe is illegal to sell for human consumption because it contains the chemical thujone which is banned by the FDA for use in foods but allowed in some herbs known to contain thujone (Title 21, Chapter 1, Part 172.510). Some types of absinthe are sold in the U.S. which contain no thujone and other absinthes are imported into the U.S. despite FDA regulations.

A second legal issue with absinthe is that it is illegal in the United States to distill alcohol (even for personal consumption) without paying special taxes, filing paperwork & requesting a license from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. We haven't researched exactly what is involved in this process, but it seems quite complex and impractical. Some absinthe recipes call for distilling the product and some do not. So, technically a distilled absinthe could be illegal if made without a license. It is also illegal to sell any alcohol for human consumption without a license.

It is likely legal in the US to produce absinthe for one's personal use using commercially available distilled liquor and infusing one's own herbs into the alcohol, although any thujone-containing drinks are illegal to sell or distribute.

Brouhaha, what liquor store says it's legal to sell?  Or do they sell it without the active ingredient as I mentioned?  Whacky as it sounds, apparently it's legal to buy it here, legal to import it, but illegal to sell it here, and illegal to sell it into the US.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:22:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Brouhaha, what liquor store says it's legal to sell?  Or do they sell it without the active ingredient as I mentioned?  Whacky as it sounds, apparently it's legal to buy it here, legal to import it, but illegal to sell it here, and illegal to sell it into the US.

Its the post-ban version with none of the active ingredient, I seen it at a local store, but I can order a bottle of the real stuff for close to the same price.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:30:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its the post-ban version with none of the active ingredient, I seen it at a local store, but I can order a bottle of the real stuff for close to the same price.

Damn...and I wanted some "pre ban" absinthe with a folding stock...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:45:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Drink it, don't be a pussy.  Though with only 10mg of thujone you may have to have a few to get the effect.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what does it taste like?  Is it worth drinking without the kicker in it?  I think I'll get a bottle and replace the stuff with green Midori - yummy!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Had a sip while in the Czech Republic.  Didn't taste that great, actually I thought it was unpleasant.  Wasn't that memorable.  Didn't see any pink Elephants.  It's only intersting because it's illegal.  Don't waste your time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I have ordered some from the Checz Republic.

Its not bad, kind of like Jagermeister with a kick.

It's not going to drive you insane, just try it and report back.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I ordered a bottle of it from Europe after reading an article in Maxim about all the different brands you can buy overseas.  I orded the one the rated best tasting and most potent.  This shit BURNS going down.  I have only had two shots of it since I bought it a year ago and already half the bottle is gone.  I like to have my friends that call themselves big drinkers give it a try.  IT TASTES NOTHING LIKE YAGERMEISTER.  It has a very strong black liqorice taste similar to Sambuca (sp?)  The stuff I have ahs all the "good" ingredients in it and cost me about $90 to get it to my door.  Definately not a sippin drink....more of a party novelty for certain occasions.  If you wanna lear more, go to www.absinthe.com.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Drink it, don't be a pussy.  Though with only 10mg of thujone you may have to have a few to get the effect.

What is "the effect?"

And how do you know of this effect?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is "the effect?"

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=295249
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Absinthe?

CJ

That's completely untrue.  It was banned during the temperence movement by the equivalent of uptight soccermoms.  Basically, it's a lot of alcohol and a chemical that is similar to THC, in much lower concentrations that regular marijuana.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Unless you have the ability to chemically analyze it  to make sure that it's really what's on the label and not something with antifreeze in it (like french wine)  I would not put it in my body.

I got some food stuff on my porch and thought what the heck.   Located the company that made it.  no return info and it was only to my address and no name on it.     I fed it to the neighbors cats and watched them die a horrible death.  (just kidding)    
It went into the trash after I called relatives and found that none claimed responsibility for shipping to me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Iv'e seen iyt for sale in local stores.

Usually comes in a bottle called "absente". Along with the bottle is a smaller vial of wormwood extract.

I love the taste of it. My question is would this show up in a piss test?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Absinthe?

CJ

Engage brain before typing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is "the effect?"

Lightweight
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Iv'e seen iyt for sale in local stores.

Usually comes in a bottle called "absente". Along with the bottle is a smaller vial of wormwood extract.

I love the taste of it. My question is would this show up in a piss test?

absente is absinthe with no wormwood.  It's just booze.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is "the effect?"

That was one funny thread, I can barely remember that night.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#46]
www.absinth.com/links/faq.html

(Absinthe Ordinaire)

Large dry and clean wormwood - 2.5 kg
Dry Hysope flower - 500 g
Melisse citronnee dry - 500 g
Crushed Green Anis - 2 kg
Alcohol 85% - 16 litres

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is "the effect?"

That was one funny thread, I can barely remember that night.

That was fun - I was just reading it again!  I'm tellin ya, that shit is magic...I would have been SICK the next day if I'd gotten that drunk on regular booze.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#48]

"Dave's not here, man."
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I contacted Alandia and they gave me the correct address.  The bottle has been forwarded to the correct owner.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Awww      Easy come, easy go I suppose.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top