Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 6:41:53 PM EDT
Is this the coming revolution in the information age?  

What IS this?  I found it very interesting and provocative.

Do any of you think this is plausible?

Is this a dupe?

The program is eight minutes in length but there is NO delay...it starts right up.  Pls take a look and give me your assessment.

<<Now...where DID I put my tinfoil hat?>>  

www.halorising.com/epic//
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty interesting.

I was agreeing with it up to a point. Started losing me after a bit though.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm....interesting presentation.

A lot of guess work involved....but there seems to be some logical basis for some of the conclusions drawn.

Definately thought provoking.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm... Sounds sorta like Communism if you ask me...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for that, interesting.

Dovetails pretty well with a train of thought that's occupied a fair amount of my time lately. In the past, Americans and people generally were presented with a fairly monolithic view of the world put out by network news and the mainstream newspapers of their nation, and right or wrong popular opinion was whatever they told us it should be.

Today there are a multitude of information sources all seeking credibility and simultaneously discrediting the mainstream media and its message. Talk to ten people and get ten different perceptions of the same event, all based on the media from which they get their news.

We're no longer a nation with a common culture, we're rapidly becoming a collection of factions that transcend borders and political affiliations.

The larger picture goes way beyond media, the information age may change everything.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
At the rate that technology is progressing, NOTHING surprises me anymore.

Scares me, yes. Surprises me, no.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Heheehe - I just submitted a registration request for www.googlezon.com I'm going to be RICH [

D'OH

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Ad for Google.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, never happen.

Bloggers may eventually put major news organizations out of business.  But that will not result in superficial, "trivia that may or may not be true" news.  Consumers will quickly learn who to trust and who  not to trust, and the ones that speak truth and meaning will flourish, while the others will flounder.

After all, it's happening right now.  There are certain blog sites that are widely known and used, because they are trustworty and informative.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds kinda interesting will have to check out when at home.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]
The SEC would torpedo "google-zon" long before they ever put anyone out of business. If the SEC failed, the EU would not.

That's 8 minutes I'll never get back.

BTW...What the hell is electronic paper?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The SEC would torpedo "google-zon" long before they ever put anyone out of business. If the SEC failed, the EU would not.

+1
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to the Matrix.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Kinda sounds like the Kerry campaign.......tell everyone what you think they want to hear and take control of the world.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a headache after watching that.  Kind of one of those flashy Japanese siezure cartoon headaches.  I have to loosen the foil, I'll be back later.......
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I wasn't impressed. News tailored to fit everyone's personal expectations? Nahhhh. People will always want to find out what's going on, and will always be able, if they are so inclined, to tell the truth from the fantasy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting.

If you need me, I'll just be out in the shack working on my manifesto....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wasn't impressed. News tailored to fit everyone's personal expectations? Nahhhh. People will always want to find out what's going on, and will always be able, if they are so inclined, to tell the truth from the fantasy.

I don't think we've EVER been able to, don't think we do now, and doubt very much we will in the future,  tell truth from fantasy.

It's happening already, there are "news" sites for people of all political, religious, and social persusions and they all have their own set of "facts".

I really don't understand how anyone can think the majority will be able to tell truth from fiction, the majority are ignorant beyond belief.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

A newpaper published entirely online
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Pretty interesting.

I was agreeing with it up to a point. Started losing me after a bit though.

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I like the prospect of condensed fact only news, thats almost impossible now.  But it theoretically evolves to give people only the info they want, sounds like our news now, thats bad.  I vote our news agencies just say what side their on Lib or Con, Rep. or Dem., anti or pro.  Then we can seek a balance of info for ourselves its an alternative to the slant.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes and no.

I think the "blog" thing is overblown. Do I read them? Yes. Obviously so do a lot of other people. But there's still a ton of people out there that don't like to read at all, much less on a computer.

The stupid will always have 24 hour cable news. Why do you think shows featuring grown men screaming at each other and calling each other names passes for political discourse in this country? It's because it's entertainment, passive entertainment, and this "grid" idea is far too active of an idea for a lot of people to participate in.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#23]
They forgot one thing, ARFCOM! I'm not kidding. I've been a news junkie for my whole life, and a 'blog reader for years.

I can tell you that this site, the General - General Discussions board, AR15.com is a fount of information, including the very clip we're discussing. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Or the story about the Sheriff posting the snipers on the roof when he fired 27 white cops, only on ARFCOM (and the small Georgia paper it was in).

I stand by my first post, this is an awesome site (and yes, I'll be sending my Team $ in soon).
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:52:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I watched it again...and I now think it may be pretty prescient.

We ARE heading towards all info 24/7 and without the print media.  We are also leaving the spoken word on the toob in record numbers.  More and more of us are sitting down in front of the screen and living here.

As that happens, the computer based information age will morph to adapt to the market demand...that is US.

Sort of like The Matrix...isn't it?

Very strange...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top