Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 6:15:02 PM EDT
Link

Exit Polls: Abbas Wins Palestinian Vote

Jan 9, 3:17 PM (ET)

By MOHAMMED DARAGHMEH

RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) - Mahmoud Abbas won at least 66 percent of the vote in the Palestinian presidential election Sunday, according to two exit polls.

Such a margin of victory would give Abbas a clear mandate to renew peace talks with Israel, rein in militants and reform the corruption-riddled Palestinian Authority.

Abbas won 66 percent of the vote while his main challenger, Mustafa Barghouti, won 19.7 percent, according to a poll conducted by the independent Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research.

The poll was based on about responses from about 10,000 voters and had an error margin of 3 percentage points.

"This percentage means that Abu Mazen will have the legitimacy to negotiate with the Israelis, and the Palestinian people will accept what Abu Mazen will agree on. He has a mandate from the voters," said the Palestinian policy center's director, Khalil Shekaki.

Abu Mazen is a nickname for Abbas.

A second survey, by An Najah University in the West Bank city of Nablus, showed Abbas winning 69.5 percent, compared with 24.5 percent for Barghouti.

That poll, based on responses by more than 5,000 voters, had an error margin of 5 percentage points.

IIRC, this guy was promising to order an immediate cease-fire if elected. Let see what happens now.

If he succeeds in reigning in the I-want-my-virgins crowd, then Israel will be forced to step up to the plate. Let's hope.....

Pray folks. It does us no good to have this festering wound repeatedly being ripped open....

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I was hoping it was Kerry.  He could get elected there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I pray that this guy can convince his followers to cease fire, but they don't exactly act as a single unit.  Those who will stop at nothing but complete genocide will still act.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Never will have peace over there, not the nature of that beast.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
They will only accept peace after Isreal is destroyed--period.  Clinton offered Arafat everything they claimed to want and they turned him down.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
i say more bulldozing of peoples homes are in order.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

IIRC, this guy was promising to order an immediate cease-fire if elected. Let see what happens now.

He started out saying stuff like this but by the end of last week he was hanging out with the terrorists and saying he was going to protect them from the Isralies.  

It will definately be an interesting time to see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They will only accept peace after Isreal is destroyed--period.  Clinton offered Arafat everything they claimed to want and they turned him down.

There it is.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't know.....

True, they offered Arafat 95% of what he wanted, then HE (not they) turned it down.

We'll soon discover if it's the Palestinians as a whole or a small undercurrent inspired by that murdering scumbag Arafat which is responsible for all the grief....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The Neutral Observer personally believes that shoving every last arab living in Israel over the border into Egypt, Jordan, and Syria and keeping the West Bank and Gaza is the way to go.

Of course, that wouldn't exactly improve relations with the neighbors.  They don't want that trash either.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Both sides have a lot of blame.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He started out saying stuff like this but by the end of last week he was hanging out with the terrorists and saying he was going to protect them from the Isralies.  

It will definately be an interesting time to see what happens.

Exactly.

This POS is nothing but a POS. These savages do not want peace. The vast majority of the people there are so brainwashed and spoonfed lies by their so called government that they will blindly support almost anyone as long as he's muslim/arab.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Isn't peace between Israel and the rest of the arab world one of the major signs of the impending apocalypse and the antiChrist's rise to power?

If so, we should be asking ourselves one of two questions, depending on how we think things will progress here:

Is it too soon for me?

or

Can it get here fast enough, 'cause this shit's pissing me off?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#13]
He said, during his speech "We have won the little jihad of this election - now we will win the big jihad of a separate Palestinian state ..."

right.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't use cell phones if I was him...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top