[#1]
Kick Ass!

She is also from ARIZONA!!!!!!!!!!

Tucson resident will lead NRA
Froman aims to change its image

Chip Scutari
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 2, 2005 12:00 AM

Sandy Froman heard a strange noise in the middle of the night.

She peered through the peephole and saw a stranger trying to break into her home. Fear gripped her. As she waited for the police, she tried to scare the man off: She banged on the door. Cranked up the stereo. The man left, but the feeling of helplessness was life-changing.

"I realized that no one was going to take care of me but me. The police can't be on every street corner. You need to be prepared," said Froman, who lived in California at the time but now lives in Tucson. advertisement  

This spring, Froman will take over as the president of the National Rifle Association, a 4 million-member organization that is one of the country's most powerful lobbying groups. NRA president is a spot once held by Hollywood legend Charlton Heston, a man both loved and loathed for his passionate defense of gun rights.

Froman's goals are to diversify membership and dispel what she calls the "myths of the NRA."

"The media wants to paint us all as a bunch of bubbas and rednecks, but it's simply not true," Froman said. "The image of the NRA needs to be corrected. The stereotype needs to be debunked."

Her new job will continue to keep Arizona, a state where the love affair with firearms hasn't ebbed since territorial days, in the spotlight.

Sandra Sue Froman, 55, wears navy blue business suits and stands a whisker over 5 feet. A graduate of Stanford University and Harvard Law School, her favorite hobby is putting together scrapbooks. She didn't own a gun until she was 32 years old, a few weeks after that stranger tried to pick her lock.

Since then, Froman has turned into an avid marksman and a fierce advocate for the Second Amendment.

NRA's rising star

She has also blossomed into a rising star for the NRA, an organization that has been criticized for its hard-line stances on issues such as its opposition to the ban on assault weapons. Froman officially becomes president in April at the NRA's convention in Houston. It's one of the most powerful volunteer posts in the country.

NRA member Jim Norton said Froman will usher in a new era for the organization, silencing critics who paint the group as radical or extreme.

"She's from Berkeley," said Norton, co-chairman of Sportsmen for Bush in Arizona. "She's not the person that the anti-gun people can easily pigeonhole. She's extremely articulate and intelligent."

But some gun control groups said Froman must change the executive staff at the NRA before she can change the organization's image.

"The real power at the NRA rests with its salaried CEO, Wayne LaPierre," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "Sandy Froman, as far as we can tell, is the sort of drink-the-Kool-Aid true believer.

"It would be easy to soften the NRA's image because it can't get much harder than it is."

Supporters of Froman say she can improve the NRA's public perception and still be a strong advocate for gun rights. They say she is friendly yet competitive, tender yet tough. In college her boyfriend broke a date to take the law school admissions test. She decided to give the test a try.

"I said if he's going to take it, I'm going to take it. I did really, really well," Froman said with a smile. "He did OK. He went to UCLA; I went to Harvard."

George Diaz, who lobbies at Arizona's Capitol, praised Froman's energy, passion and knowledge.

"She will be a great spokesperson; I'm eager to have her as president," said Diaz, who works for the Pinnacle West Capital Corp. "I think she will do a lot to encourage women to take another look at self-defense and supporting the Second Amendment."

But Diaz is disappointed with the NRA for not reaching out more to the Hispanic community. He said the NRA chose not to endorse Republican Andrew Pacheco, a lifetime NRA member, for Maricopa county attorney this year. The NRA eventually decided to stay out of the Republican primary in September.

"They missed a tremendous opportunity to embrace the Latino community," said Diaz, a 14-year NRA member who is going to let his membership lapse next year. "We're the fastest-growing community here. Much like the Republican Party, they failed to embrace a section of the population that shares the same sort of morals and ideals. It's the future of both the NRA and the Republican Party. Hopefully, Sandy will examine that."

A tough mission ahead

Froman faces a tough mission. Say "NRA," and it sparks visceral debates and conjures up certain stereotypes. Gun lovers and sportsmen lionize the group as a defender of Second Amendment rights. Gun control advocates demonize it as an extremist organiza- tion.

The image resurfaced last year when the NRA backed a bill in Arizona that would have allowed patrons to carry guns in bars, nightclubs and restaurants that serve alcohol.

The bill was shot down but not before it was mocked by the Comedy Central's Daily Show team on its national cable television show.

The NRA is still a male-dominated organization though the extent of imbalance is not clear since applicants' gender is not requested on sign-up forms. Froman wants to break down the anti-gun bias and bring the message to career-oriented women.

Froman is promoting an NRA magazine called Women's Outlook, which is specifically designed for women gun owners.

Arizona's mark

Arizona residents have made a big mark on the NRA, founded in 1871 by a Union general. Two of the past six NRA presidents have come from the Valley: former Arizona Attorney General Bob Corbin and the late Joe Foss.

If anything, Arizona's love affair with firearms has gained momentum.

Part of it is due to political conservatism. Part of it is Arizona's history as one of the last states to give up the Old West and rugged individualism. Part of it is an independent, outdoor lifestyle that makes Arizona conducive to firearms sports from hunting to competitive shooting.

Arizona has some of the least-restrictive firearms laws in the country, including a fairly liberal law allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons. Residents who pass a background check and undergo 16 hours of firearms training are allowed to carry concealed weapons.

Darren LaSorte, a lobbyist for the NRA, said Froman will soften the group's image with the general public.

"One of her greatest strengths is that she has the ability to win over those people on the fence and even those who are zealous opponents," LaSorte said. "She has a good story to tell. Instead of taking the bull by the horns, she takes a measured approach.

"But when she has to be tough, she can be as tough as nails."

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
BERKELEY!!!

BWAHHHHHAAAAAHHAAAA!!!!!!

I think when they said, "She's from Berkeley," said Norton, co-chairman of Sportsmen for Bush in Arizona. "She's not the person that the anti-gun people can easily pigeonhole. She's extremely articulate and intelligent." I think that was just a reference to her being from a quite liberal area.  She actually attended Stanford and Harvard.

"Sandra Sue Froman, 55, wears navy blue business suits and stands a whisker over 5 feet. A graduate of Stanford University and Harvard Law School, her favorite hobby is putting together scrapbooks. She didn't own a gun until she was 32 years old, a few weeks after that stranger tried to pick her lock. "

"I said if he's going to take it, I'm going to take it. I did really, really well," Froman said with a smile. "He did OK. He went to UCLA; I went to Harvard."
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BERKELEY!!!

I think when they said, "She's from Berkeley," said Norton, co-chairman of Sportsmen for Bush in Arizona. "She's not the person that the anti-gun people can easily pigeonhole. She's extremely articulate and intelligent." I think that was just a reference to her being from a quite liberal area.  She actually attended Stanford and Harvard.

"Sandra Sue Froman, 55, wears navy blue business suits and stands a whisker over 5 feet. A graduate of Stanford University and Harvard Law School, her favorite hobby is putting together scrapbooks. She didn't own a gun until she was 32 years old, a few weeks after that stranger tried to pick her lock. "

The Arizona Republic printed a letter to the editor from Ms. Froman in which she clarified that she is not "from Berkeley" and did not attend the college located there.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
This kicks major ass. The NRA is getting even better!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
BERKELEY!!!

The Arizona Republic printed a letter to the editor from Ms. Froman in which she clarified that she is not "from Berkeley" and did not attend the college located there.  

It's OK. Anywhere in the SF Bay Area is hilarious!

CW
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This kicks major ass. The NRA is getting even better!

+1

Soccer Mom/Security Mom recuiting other Soccer Mom's/Security Mom's. Very smart, very smart indeed!

Take that Brady!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]

But some gun control groups said Froman must change the executive staff at the NRA before she can change the organization's image.

"The real power at the NRA rests with its salaried CEO, Wayne LaPierre," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "Sandy Froman, as far as we can tell, is the sort of drink-the-Kool-Aid true believer.

<pot kettle="black">

Er, the real power with the Brady Bunch rests with Sarah Brady.  Tell her sorry ass to step down and LaPierre will then think about it.

</pot>
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Somehow, this will turn the NRA pendulum more to the hunting rifle side than the AW/50 Bmg side, I fear....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Sandy Froman was married to AZ hoslter make Bruce Nelson, he died unxepectedly a few years back. The NRA is in good hands, she a super fervant 2nd Amend support.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Somehow, this will turn the NRA pendulum more to the hunting rifle side than the AW/50 Bmg side, I fear....

Not sure how you read that. I see her firmly in the "2nd Ammendment is about hunting" group.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

<pot kettle="black">

Er, the real power with the Brady Bunch rests with Sarah Brady.  Tell her sorry ass to step down and LaPierre will then think about it.

</pot>

What a Maaroon!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Froman??? Around these parts that is usually a Jewish last name.  Hmmmmm, well, I guess Jews do own guns after all.

Are you sure she's not married to the "Sausage King of Chicago"?

<ferris_buelers_day_off>

Snooty Maitre D': You're Abe Froman?
Ferris: That's right. I'm Abe Froman.
Snooty Maitre D': The sausage king of Chicago?
Ferris: [brief hesitation] Yeah. That's me.

</ferris_buelers_day_off>

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Sandy Froman has been on the NRA BoD for a number of years, and I've voted for her all this time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<pot kettle="black">

</pot>

What a Maaroon!

Yeah, but remember he saved himself by saying "as far as we can tell."

This is a fall-back plan when someone calls him on his lack of authority to speak on such matters as abnormal psych and/or cult/group dynamics.

Unless he can pull his PhD, which was written on the Jonestown folk, out of his ass......... I'm calling bullshit on his authority.

To again point out the kettle's blackness to Mr. Hamm: Would he not in like manner consider Sarah Brady a true believer in her cause?!?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#16]
As long as she understands that "softening the NRA's image" DOES NOT include softening the NRA's stance on any of our core issues!

Especially "Assault Weapons"!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure how you read that. I see her firmly in the "2nd Ammendment is about hunting" group.

yes
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:56:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone actually KNOW how she regards AW's/.50 cals.?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

Ugh. I just caught back up to this. I meant to say...

I see her firmly in the "2nd Ammendment is not about hunting" group.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#21]
LaPierre is a dumbass. He has a terminal case of "foot-in-mouth disease".
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmmm ....  Left my membership lapse.

I think that I'll be renewing it tomorrow

I think that I like this lady and what she can do!!!

I'll put up with the constant solicitations again!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top