Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 3:33:21 PM EDT
We got some real hot loads in this thing and it just makes a very loud 'TUMP' noise. Well when we first started shooting it was relatively quiet then the 45-70 shot off and I think everyone woke up. Well, we let this one guy shoot it, and he stood up to shoot it and people were stupified by the power it had.

If anyone wants info, its a BFR 45-70 with a 8in bbl. It is high quality too because we were using 405 grain soft jacketed point reloads, that are alittle bit below the max for the 1895 winchester 45-70 loads. The gun seemed to react perfectly to this power. It was a bit hotter than factory loads. Plus the flame that came out was about 6inches and you could see it in broad daylight!

Ill remember to take video next time!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
hee-haw!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
hee haw?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
They fired that gun on a recent episode of Jim Scoutten's show Shooting USA.

It did have some recoil.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot one twice.  The frist round was a 305gr hand load, kicked like a mule.  The second was a 405gr hand load. I alomst dropped it, using both hands it started out pointing down range, when I was through I could have shot everyone on the line to the left, if I had another round.  It put a 3in gash on the back of my left thumb, and the guy behind me(catcher) was white as a ghost.  I would have shot it again but didn't want to get blood on the gun.
My friend wouldn't even pick it up.

Mind I am only about 130# soaking wet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, it really wasnt that bad, I dont know what was wrong with you, lol. The worse one I have is the Thompson Encore in 30/06 with no brake, and yes, as a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
You mean to tell me the thing wont rip your hand off!

I fired some maxed out 45-70 loads in a Marlin guide gun. Bone jarring,voilent, elephant gun recoil This was some exotic factory ammo. It was marked specifially on the box which guns you could shoot them in. They could easily blow up a trapdoor Springfield.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot a Quigley Sharps 45-70 and it has plenty of bite.  Couldn't imagine shooting it in a pistol w/o a brake of some sort.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I love our Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun. Shooting that things is an almost orgasmic experience. For those who watch RedvsBlue, it is easily explained by Church's statement regarding the new tank:

"I could blow up the whole *** **** world with this thing."

Just wait till I get a .50BMG!

I like the concept of the BFR, but I'm more interested in that new .454 Casull revolver that's coming out. I'm thinking that if I ever get the cash, I'd like a pair of custom revolvers chambered in .454.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
A guy at the range let me shoot his last summer. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I liked it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember an "Officer Safety Advisory" about  the 45LC / .410 revolver that came out a few years back.

Despite being as big as a dictionary, the OSA warned LEO's that the pistol was "easily concealable", and capoable of "Awesome firepower"...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There's a guy locally who has 45-70 Thompson Contender. Most of the guys who've tried it said it was pretty obnoxious, I passed on that one.

Is it the earlier one without a brake on it?  Those are BRUTAL.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Well it is not no ruger No.1   But it can handle power, the HIGHEST it can go is 1895 winchester power, we gave it 39 grains of reloader 7. It only shoots 45-70 gov't if you were to buy the ammo. It DOES NOT shoot 45-70 Marlin.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Still doesnt have anything on the guy with the .600 Nitro handgun  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#15]
considering the price on the 600nitro hand gun, Id rather make it myself.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We got some real hot loads in this thing and it just makes a very loud 'TUMP' noise. Well when we first started shooting it was relatively quiet then the 45-70 shot off and I think everyone woke up. Well, we let this one guy shoot it, and he stood up to shoot it and people were stupified by the power it had.

If anyone wants info, its a BFR 45-70 with a 8in bbl. It is high quality too because we were using 405 grain soft jacketed point reloads, that are alittle bit below the max for the 1895 winchester 45-70 loads. The gun seemed to react perfectly to this power. It was a bit hotter than factory loads. Plus the flame that came out was about 6inches and you could see it in broad daylight!

Ill remember to take video next time!

Saw that gun on one of the gun tv shows.  What does the  BFR stand for?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#17]
My friend has a 45-70 snubbie .  I've never shot it or seen him shoot it.  It weighs so much you could probably kill some one by throwing it at them.  I'm not so sure I'd really want to try it out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Biggest Finest Revolver, of course!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a 7 1/2" BFR in 45-70 and didn't find it bad to shoot at all, much more pleasant then the Guide Guns! If you ever get a chance the .30-30 BFR has no recoil at all!
BTW, Here is a link to a 600 Nitro Revolver, it is in German and a PDF file but has cool pics:
600 Nitro Revolver

editted to add comment about 30-30 BFR and to clarify the one I owned was a 45-70
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Too much energy wasted. That caliber is too expensive to shoot or reload.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Biggest Finest Revolver, of course!

That is what they said on the show.  I think there is a hidden meaning in there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Ya think?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Too much energy wasted. That caliber is too expensive to shoot or reload.

Its pretty cheap to reload 45-70. Besides.. How many times would your shoot the thing at a range session... Probably not too many. Come to think of it, it may not be worth buying a set of dies, a 20 round box of factory loads would probably last you a while.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#24]
zer04evr
You have not even come close to where the 45-70 BFR can go. It will easily handle pressures no levergun will take. A local guy has one he was useing a 480 cast at close to 1500 fps and is now working with a 580 cast which is crowding 1400 fps (this is a 7.5"Revolver). This is a very high mileage Revolver and it has held up well. It is very hard on the ejector houseing screws and eats them regularly with intense loadings. I have shot this Revolver with the 480 cast load and admit it is too much of a good thing for me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#25]
.... yawn ....   stretch  ......

It ain't got nuthin on the 50 S&W.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
The snubnose pistol referred to is probably the Thunder 5 in 45-70.

Besides the BFR there is also the Sidewinder, essentially the same pistol, cheaper though.

The recoil isn't that  bad.  The short barrel (as in shorter than rifle length, allowing less propellent to burn/pressure to build up) and heavy weight make it tolerable.  It is significant though.  Cor-bon makes special 45-70 hunting loads designed for short barrels like the Contender that have propellants that are more efficient in the short space.

Buffalo Bore also makes some wicked powerful rounds.

Nothing I can't handle with both hands and 45-70 Marlins don't bother me at all unless they are really heavy loads.

Swindle1984, you may want to reconsider the Casull.  While the revolvers are the highest quality, incredibly accurate, full house .454 loads are really painfull to shoot in it.  Most people prefer the Taurus pistol instead, it's much more comfortable.  I am still trying to get a .454 Casull myself, but it's going to have the .45ACP, .45WM, and .45LC cylinders as well.  Shooting .454 full house loads will be rare for me.

I know at least 4 people up here that have them, a few more that I don't know personally, but this is Alaska after all.

All right, think you're all man enough?  Try the Alaska Survival model of Derringer chambered for .45LC and .45-70!  I've only seen one shot once, the guy was a hardcore type who runs a gunstore and has shot pretty much everything, and after the one shot would never ever shoot .45-70 in it again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I love our Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun. Shooting that things is an almost orgasmic experience. For those who watch RedvsBlue, it is easily explained by Church's statement regarding the new tank:

"I could blow up the whole *** **** world with this thing."

Just wait till I get a .50BMG!

I like the concept of the BFR, but I'm more interested in that new .454 Casull revolver that's coming out. I'm thinking that if I ever get the cash, I'd like a pair of custom revolvers chambered in .454.

I'm trying to buy one of those now. A co-worker has one in a gun case that he bought new a few years ago, and took to the range. He let a buddy shoot 3 or 4 rounds through it, and when he saw what it did to that guy, he unloaded it, and put it back in the gun case, where it has been ever since.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I think the thunder five was .410/.45lc, or at least the one's I've seen were. In fact there's one listed on the EE.

It comes in both flavors, each as ridiculous as the other...  The 45-70 version is more rare it seems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top