Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 3:32:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, the DSO Exploit shown in Spy Bot is a bug in the application.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I Googled this linky. Seems it's not a big deal if you have all the updates, etc.

DSO LINK
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Usually, you don't.
Once it's on the machine, it's on there. You can format and reinstall the OS to completely remove it.

But most decent antispyware programs will make it harmless.

Try giant anti spyware AKA Microsoft's beta spyware killer
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried going to Start, Run and typing in MSCONFIG. Go to the Startup Tab. That will let you know if something is restarting every time you reboot. I use a program called RegSeeker that lets you see what exactly the programs are and delete them if they don't belong. Some if not all virii and trojans add a line to the startup that keeps the damn thing loading up.

RegSeeker

Also, I use this online website for scanning and also their anti-virus program. I have been burned by Mcafee and Norton too many times. Trend Micro

Also, Symantec has specific Trojan removal tools
Here

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
SpyBot will get rid of it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I got rid of Norton and Mcafee a long time ago because it was not catching them all.

I use TrendMicro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005. I did my research. It's one of the top rated programs out there. Before that I used Kapersky Labs, but TrendMicro is much better. It has a firewall and WiFi security which I need for my wifes PC which is on a Netgear wireless router.

IMHO of course.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]
microsoft has a new beta spyware killer out. might help??

www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

chris
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
boom, spybot will NOT get rid of it...it 'kills' it, but it keeps coming back to life! i've tried immunizing, etc. with no luck.

i just d-loaded and am running a version of webroot's spy sweeper. it has detected the "vx2 transponder' trojan (i think this is the one that is re-installing the 'offeroptimizer' pop-up) and a few others that spybot and agv have missed.

damnit! i HATE hackers, virus and trojan designers and worms!

how the hell they get past norton and the microshit firewall i will never know!

Campy,

Yea your right.
It comes up every time I run SpyBot but I never ran it within a few minutes of each other.
If have all the windows updates and do not run IE or Outlook.  Trend Micro does not detect it.

I have a 2x hardware firewall and run PC-Cillon for a SW firewall and anti-virus.
The PC-Cillon has been working much better than Norton.  I had the full Norton Suite.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

chris

I just installed and ran it.  It caught some Adware bug.  Nothing on the DSO Exploit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

chris

I just installed and ran it.  It caught some Adware bug.  Nothing on the DSO Exploit.

it was worth a shot.

sorry y'all

Chris
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top