Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2001 12:50:59 AM EDT
I don't think I have ever heard any one say Heckler & Koch, they always just say HK. Does anyone out there really know how to pronounce Koch.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Like Coke. I've called the H & K company.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You always sound like an ass pronouncing foreign words the way they're pronounced in the mother language.

Most people I've heard pronounce it "KOT-ch"

In German, it sounds like "Coa-czsch" <-----guttural lugie-hocking sound

Yeah, like "Coke", with the guttural sound at the end.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks frpcmanager I've always wanted to know!  Hey I'am in DP myself, do you work graveyard or just cant sleep?
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, just like 'coke.'

Don't feel too bad, I was pronouncing it "kot-ch" for several years myself!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a history teacher named Koch.  Pronounced just like "coke".
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was pronounced Kotch until I heard the talk about H&K's on the History channel.

Six
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for clearing this up! - I was arguing this point a few weeks ago with a poor guy who had heard too many people pronounce it wrong and swore that it was "kotch".  Good .wav file!  I like saying "told you so".

Tate
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:17:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I just say "HK"
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's a curve ball.

Went to school with a guy who pronounced it "kotch".

Go to church with a guy (from Switzerland) who pronounces is "cook".

Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, it's people pronouncing 'Valmet' as if it were some sorta French name - 'Val-May' that drive me up a wall!

It's 'Val-Met' people! Met, not May!

Eric The(FrenchDon'tKnow[i]Merde[/i]Re:Arms)Hun [>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Pronounced Coke: as in the drink and powdery substance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I pronounce it N-I-P-P-L-E
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm an American, so I say "Kotch".

I don't care what the "proper" pronunciation is.

For Paris, I say "Parris", not "Pah-ree".

When I eat a Gyro, it's a "Jye-Roe", not "Yhee-ro".

Frankly, I think we should stil say Peking, too.

People, like the French, who get all pissy about pronunciation, have major inferiority complexes.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Major Murphy:
I'm an American, so I say "Kotch".

I don't care what the "proper" pronunciation is.

For Paris, I say "Parris", not "Pah-ree".

When I eat a Gyro, it's a "Jye-Roe", not "Yhee-ro".

Frankly, I think we should stil say Peking, too.

People, like the French, who get all pissy about pronunciation, have major inferiority complexes.
View Quote

So then, when you're lecturing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, how do you pronounce DeGas, Monet, and Van Gogh? Or do you just bastardize their names also because you are an "American"? How do you say the word: Beret, as in Green? I'm not French, BTW.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#15]
If you heard how the Dutch really pronounce Van Gogh (sounds like Van Gokzsch <------harsh guttual sound) you'd stick with the American pronounciation too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, I say "Van Go", Not "Van Gochcgcgch".
Degas, well I'm comfortable with the silent "S".

(...actually I usually stick to the Contemporary Wing, the Asian Art collection, and the American Wing, when working with the Met's collection. So, I don't have to bother with the Impressionists (Degas) or the Post-Impressionists (Van Gogh).  The Museum of Modern Art's collection has some the Monet "Water Lily" paintings, but I find them a bit sappy.  The rest of their collection is strictly 20th Century.  The Whitney's collection is American Art only (except, perhaps during the Biennials.)

And how do YOU say Paris?

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's another one:
Steyr- (shtI'-ur)
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By garden weasel:
Here's another one:
Steyr- (shtI'-ur)
View Quote

That's kind of fun to say it that way...

..so be it!

(I'll bet that Aug is "og" or "ohg", not "awg")

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Major: I do say Paris like Par-ris (as in Island)... So you got me there.

"AUG" is however an acronym, so I'm not sure any one pronunciation is more correct than another.

And Koch is pronounced like "coke", no matter where you're from...
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And Koch is pronounced like "coke", no matter where you're from...
View Quote

...I'll tell that to former NYC mayor, Ed Koch, next time I see him.
He'll be surprised to hear this.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I spoke with some reps from HK, and they say "coke."
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#22]
...I spoke to Pierre from Paris, and they say, "Pah-ree".

Americanizing foreign words is goood...
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder how some of you guys say faux paus........maybe I spelled that right........you get the drift anyhow.

It is Coke
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I pronounce Koch "overrated". [:)] Flame suit on...
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey remember, this is all in fun.

Some words and phrases, like "faux pas", retain their original pronunciations...
...and some, like "Champagne", become "Americanized".  

I've heard it as "kotch" FAR more than "coke".

...and as others here have said, even "coke" is not quite right.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Gee, I just always pronounced it "cock", maybe its the Beavis and Butthead in me.[:D]

BMB
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#27]
considering it's a german name - it is actually  'koewgkhh' - like 'cough' with a soft 'g/k' in the middle.  but i guess coke is close enough

steve
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey FatMan, I have also known some people named Koch that also pronounced it "cook".
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

No no no.  "[b]Heckler[/b]" means "overrated".  "[b]Koch[/b]" means "easily dented".  So you get "Overrated and easily dented MP-5".  See how that works?  :-)

-SARguy
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#30]
No, last night I got in for the drive in movies and thought I'd post a little. It is "coke" with a bavarian "hck". MP-5 's are nice, light, and sweet to shoot, but the price tag sucks. FPD SWAT has the 5.56 version, most of them hate it. AR is better!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Howabout "Maadi"? I've heard people say "Mad-dee", but I always thought it was "mah-dee"
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No no no.  "[b]Heckler[/b]" means "overrated".  "[b]Koch[/b]" means "easily dented".  So you get "Overrated and easily dented MP-5".  See how that works?  :-)

-SARguy
View Quote

Shot a G36 awhile back. Got so hot after a little [;)] full auto that you had to hold it by the magazine. No backup for the optics on the sample I tried either. Give me a good AR! BTW, HK screwed me on warranty work on a P7 I bought new a long time ago. They wouldn't touch it because it wasn't imported by HK (some other company out of Miami used to import HK guns also). Anyway, i had an expensive gun HK made and they would not honor the warranty, never bought another HK product!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shot a G36 awhile back. Got so hot after a little [;)] full auto that you had to hold it by the magazine. No backup for the optics on the sample I tried either. Give me a good AR! BTW, HK screwed me on warranty work on a P7 I bought new a long time ago. They wouldn't touch it because it wasn't imported by HK (some other company out of Miami used to import HK guns also). Anyway, i had an expensive gun HK made and they would not honor the warranty, never bought another HK product!
View Quote

I hear you on the reliability thing.  The only good thing HK makes is the USP series pistols.  Of those, my favorites are the USP 9 and the tactical 45.  The only bad one of the pistols is the Anchor, er, I mean SOCOM .45.  By the time you hang all the stuff on it, you just as well carry a carbine! [8D]  Fortunately, HK got their act together and fixed the SOCOM problems in the USP Tac.  Little things like proper thread direction for the can, etc.

Wonder why HK sells a dent remover for their receivers?  That stamped sheetmetal wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?. Naaaa. [;)]  I could go on, but...  I'm with you, I'll take an AR.

Take care, my friend,

-SARguy
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I live this topic every day!

Erick Koch
(BTW, I pronounce my name "Cook."

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#36]
SARguy...that's the best post I've read in a long time...I'm still laughing...
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Speaking of Koch, I was listening to an interview recently with James Koch (who pronounces it 'cook' BTW) and he was explaing why he calls his beer Sam Adams.  He was originally going to call it something with his name in it but his friends convinced him that it might be difficult to be taken seriously if he goes around trying to sell a product with a long neck that people are supposed to put into their mouths and put a name on it that looks like it should be pronounced cock.  He had always liked Sam Adams so he decided to use that name instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top