Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 7:48:52 PM EDT
Going thru the chicgo airport one time I saw a girl with a bunch of star tat all over - arms, neck bact etc.

Playing around on tinypic.com I say a girl with very sim. tats.

what do they stand for?

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably nothing. For the most part, tattoos these days are simply decorative, with no personal significance to the wearer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a common punk rock tattoo motif for girls.  Doesn't really mean anything except "I don't have a lot of creativity, but I want a tattoo of some kind.  Give me what everybody else has."
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are money shot targets.  Fire away.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
IM Link of pic .
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Overdone:
Why Do People Get Star Tattoos?

“Quod est ante pedes nemo spectat: coeli scrutantur plagas.”
   (No one sees what is before his feet: we all gaze at the stars.)
   - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Bod mod elitists have always made fun of people with modifications they feel have become “common” and moved into the mainstream. In the past (and still now), the legions of people wandering about with kanji symbols tattooed on them became objects of derision, accused of wearing what they didn’t understand or relate to because someone told them it was the cool thing to do. Similar accusations of mutilatory exercises in conformity have been leveled at those with star tattoos, as over the past five years stars have become perhaps the single most common piece of tattoo iconography.

Can star tattoos still have meaning — or did they ever? Why do people get star tattoos anyway? Are they just going with the flow? Have they devalued over time like a Right Said Fred CD? Earlier this year I started asking people why they got their star tattoos; below are some of the answers I got in their own words, along with the tattoos those people wear (click to view them). Decide for yourself if they took their skin seriously enough for you to judge them from your ivory tower.

SARAH
Sarah is “an artist of sorts” from the UK who draws lots of flash for friends and has an online clothing store. She’s been getting tattooed since she was fifteen and loves being part of such a rich and varied community. She’s also a vegetarian, involved in animal rights, and (surprised?) loves travel and music. She’s still deciding whether she wants to be a tattoo artist or a bag lady when she finally grows up.
I have earlier star tattoos, but they are just simple ones, more for decoration and to fill space. But I’ve always liked stars for their aesthetic qualities — they look very neat and clean. They can be endlessly changed and altered in almost any way to suit any tastes. I also love the idea of tattooed stars relating to real stars, and the relation to the universe and space. It’s a reminder of how small we are within everything that exists and gives me a certain amount of peace of mind that what I do is ultimately unimportant.

This star you’re asking me about was designed by Alison Manners at Ultimate Skin in Leeds. I found a basic star design with an oldschool rose inside it; she redrew it perfectly for me. I chose the color because I love pink and am a bit of a girly-girl, and leopard print because I relate it to pin up girls (something I love), and also to nature. My boyfriend suggested getting it on the front of my shoulder, at the far side of my chest, but I felt it wouldn’t really fit with the chest piece which I have designed. I had always wanted a rose on my sternum, right in my cleavage because it would be very private, and also very suggestive, to show that I am a sexual person. A star with a rose in it would fit perfectly, so it was pretty easy to place it.

Not too many people have seen it because of its location, but obviously I’ve shown it to my friends. They all really liked it when they first saw it, and expected that it was pretty painful to get done. The biggest reaction was from myself, because I was surprised at how different I felt after having it done. It’s the first tattoo I’ve had which I can see when I look at myself face-on in the mirror, as most of my tattooing is on my back. I had a great feeling of satisfaction being able to see it all the time, and comfort within myself after it was done. It was like I was becoming more like me. It’s changed the way I think about my body and myself, giving me more confidence and making me more secure with who I am.

Sarah F

Sarah is a twenty year old hairstylist, a profession she chose because it allows her to look how she wants. She also hopes that because the job lets her interact with the public so often that she can change people’s opinions of the modified, because, as she puts it, “I’m such a nice girl!”
It’s not that I specifically liked star tattoos, I just liked stars. When I started high school I would doodle them everywhere and when I was sixteen I drew up the design for my first tattoo, a star with black and white checkers inside it. That design waited, tacked up on my bulletin board until I was almost nineteen and had the opportunity to get it. So now it sits on my left forearm just below the bend of my elbow, and I absolutely love it. I chose to put it on my arm because I didn’t want it to be hidden, I wanted it to be a part of me that people could see.

I have had my checkered star for over a year and a half and I still love it just as much as the first day I got it. I recently got another star tattoo on my back between my shoulder blades. Sometimes people notice the top point of the star coming up the back of my neck and they are curious to find out what it’s connected too. I always show them if they are truly interested and not being rude. I am happy to show them off.

I don’t care what’s popular and what isn’t. I got my star tattoos because I like them and that’s that. Things that other people do rarely affect my decisions on anything, and my tattoos are no different. I think it’s fairly obvious that I do not follow the crowd anyway. Most likely I will be getting more star themed pieces — how could I not? I never worry about them going out of style. It’s never even crossed my mind. As for the way other people see them, I don’t think that in twenty years people will be saying, “Oh, star tattoos are soooo 1998” or whatever. And if they do, well, I just don’t care.

I think it’s really sad that people make fun of star tattoos just because they are popular. Especially in this community where you think people would be more open minded it’s sad to hear that people get all elitest about it and think “oh she’s not cool, she must have gotten that because everyone else does.” I know it’s been said before but don’t judge people for anything! You don’t ever know where they are coming from and the reasons behind their actions and decisions.

Claudinne

Claudinne is twenty and an officer in the Dominican Republic Army (a Caribbean nation next to Cuba and Jamaica, and bordering Haiti).
I love stars, ever since I was a baby, so, when it was time to decide on a design for my first tattoo, I had no doubt it would be a star. I did some research, drew a couple myself, and then decided to have it put on my back. Everybody just loves it! Here in the Dominiccan Republic I’ve had girls on the street just going crazy over it! I don’t regret doing it at all.

What other people think about star tattoos doesn’t change my feelings. I’m keeping this one and I’m getting more stars as well. Star tattoos will never look outdated, especially when you add details from your own imagination.

Melissa

Melissa is a nanny by day and Italian photo charm entrepreneur by night with a short fuse for people who don’t use common sense.
I have always loved stars. I love science, and stars are awesome heavenly bodies. To figure out my design I just looked around at some tattoo web sites. I found one that I liked and made it a little more special for me. I wansn’t really sure where to place it, but I always wanted tattoos on my chest, so I took the dive. Didn’t tear up once during it!

My mom hates my tattoos, and a lot of people think where I put them was a bad idea, but I love them and wouldn’t change a thing about them! I don’t care what everyone one else has as tattoos. A lot of people have star tattoos, but they aren’t all the same. There are so many different ones that I don’t think it matters that a lot of people have them.

Darren

Darren is an 18 year old living in the small middle of nowhere town of Tipton, California, where he’s lived all his life. He’s been playing guitar for the past five years, and music is something that makes him tick, along with hobbies like restoring muscle cars.
I’ve always been a tattoo person. I like hearing stories about people’s meanings behind the tattoos, and I like it when someone is able to put a meaning behind something that that put on their bodies. I thought about my design and actually going through with it for two years, and decided to have it done on my 18th birthday. Stars are also kind of an attractive shape. They always somehow seem to catch my eye when someone has one tattooed on them. In life I run into some troubled moments. I would sometimes stop my car and pull over on the side of the road on late nights coming home from hanging out with my friends, if something was on my mind. I would stop and get out, and just look into the sky. It’s almost always overcast here and the stars and clouds were just a design that kinda went together, and I figured if I tattooed it on me, it would always remind me of the things I do and why I do them.

I knew that I wanted the stars and clouds, but I wasn’t absolutely sure. I met Keith Duggan from Tiger Rose over in Pismo Beach who helped me work on the design. I chose to put in on my chest pallet and shoulder, just because I figured it’d be a good place to start, and Keith figured it’d probably look better there. My friends thought I was absolutely crazy. It’s just about ten inches in length and covers a pretty good sized area, and none of them have tattoos. They liked how good it looked and they thought that it was really cool, since it wasn’t just a plain star. A lot of people have said that it suits me just because of my personality. I absolutely love the damn thing. I don’t stop getting complimented on it. I’m actually thinking about making it it bigger and maybe even adding some stuff too.

Each and every tattoo I have and will get will be different in some way. Stars tattoos have been around forever. If you like a design that has stars in it, and feel like later on it’ll be out dated, don’t worry about it. If that star means something to you, then by all means go for it. There are some designs that people feel are “played out”. The nautical star for example, is something I hear about all the time. People say it’s played out, some say it’s cool. It all just depends on how you feel. I don’t regret one minute of choosing to put stars in my tattoo though!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a tattoo that is played out. Everyone has one and it doesn't mean dick.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Ask Mrs. BRF. She was/is/has getting/gotten one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
This about sums it up.

I also love the idea of tattooed stars relating to real stars, and the relation to the universe and space. It’s a reminder of how small we are within everything that exists and gives me a certain amount of peace of mind that what I do is ultimately unimportant.

Bob
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
She's a whore?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
She's a whore?

Around here, it means they usually like rough pooper sex. And guys who take pics.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
All tattoos mean the same thing.   It is how Trailer Trash brands their spawn so they can ID them when they go on vacation at WALMART.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys crack me the fuck up.

Most of you don't seem to know shit, but talk like you are experts.

What do stars mean?

Well, probably like most tattoos, they mean different things to different people.

It's kind of an old school style.

Much like a spider web tattoo on the elbow.

Which I've heard is supposed to mean many different things. From killing somebody, to serving 10 years, to all kinds of other crap.

Ya know, there is something to be said about just being into the styles that came before. If not just because it is a classic style (I wonder how many of you have really looked at the heavily tattooed people of the 20's through the 50's).

Something inherently wrong with that?

Yes, stars are kind of a trend now (thanks to those crappy emo kids).

But they were around FAR before then. And will be around for years without them.

And there will be the same clueless people, trying to figure out what they "mean".
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The only star you need to worry about on a chick is of the puckered variety.  If she is a slut, it won't pucker anymore and does quite the opposite.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]

For a girls tats what do stars mean?

The same thing that all tats on a woman mean... that she's an idiot who's into defacing her own body.

IMO even a small tattoo makes an otherwise pretty woman ugly.  I really wish this trend would pass already. I don’t know why anyone would want to brand themselves as a trashy whore?  

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
All tattoos mean the same thing.   It is how Trailer Trash brands their spawn so they can ID them when they go on vacation at WALMART.

That's big talk from someone named bubba.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's a common punk rock tattoo motif for girls.  Doesn't really mean anything except "I don't have a lot of creativity, but I want a tattoo of some kind.  Give me what everybody else has."

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
... "Oh My God, It's Full Of Stars"
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

And there will be the same clueless people, trying to figure out what they "mean".

It seems to me that a tattoo that doesn't "mean" anything is necessarily indistinguishable from a pair of surgically attached platform shoes; a fashion accessory that persists when it's no longer fashionable. Personal taste aside I can understand getting a tattoo that does mean something. Getting a tattoo that means nothing is a permanent homage to a passing fancy. "Yeah, this 3 inch wide leather watchband/ID bracelet/upside-down sun visor looks pretty stupid, but it's welded on."
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
the nautical stars are a very popular "punk" style tat nowadays.

not sure exactly why.

images.google.com/images?q=nautical+star&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N

Edited to add....after a quick search, it seems it was a popular sailor tattoo back in the day because sailors used stars to navigate....and is now been used to mean anything from "follow your dreams" to a surrogate for the pentagram star, or a symbol of anachy, which is polular with the punk rock crowd.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Love the blending of generations on arfcomm.

The intolerant, incontinent crusty old farts.

The venomous and fiesty greenhorns...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I really wish this trend would pass already.

Me too.  The sooner, the better.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems to me that a tattoo that doesn't "mean" anything is necessarily indistinguishable from a pair of surgically attached platform shoes; a fashion accessory that persists when it's no longer fashionable. Personal taste aside I can understand getting a tattoo that does mean something. Getting a tattoo that means nothing is a permanent homage to a passing fancy. "Yeah, this 3 inch wide leather watchband/ID bracelet/upside-down sun visor looks pretty stupid, but it's welded on."

Well, yes. Too some degree.

someone with just a star, or just a barbed wire tattoo, is obviously putting just a fashion statement on their body.

But to say that because somebody has stars tatooed, or spiderwebs, or other tattoos that have been around since the 20's, is just wearing a "fad" is simply to not understand what you are talking about.

Simple as that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Love the blending of generations on arfcomm.

The intolerant, incontinent crusty old farts people who've been around, done both good and dumb stuff and are now wise enough to know the difference, yet know that nobody has it all figured out.

The venomous and fiesty greenhorns... ones who know it all already. Leave home while you still do, kids!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Star tattoo: I'm a whore
Moon tattoo: I'm a whore
Tribal tattoo: I'm a whore.
Flower tattoo: I'm a whore
Heart tattoo: I'm a whore.
Oriental tattoo: I'm a whore
Cartoon character tattoo: I'm a whore
Before you reply to take issue: RELAX! Take a deep breath. I'm just kidding.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll just say what I always say about Tatoos.  It shows very poor planning.

If your ever going to break out on a multi-state homicidal killing spree you don't want any easily identified marks on your body.  It's all about keeping a low profile.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow - 25 post and the best one is by Jon_C_ that post conversation in reguards to star tats.

You guy are the Goods.

Is there any thing that you can not get an answer for here.

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Star tattoo: I'm a whore
Moon tattoo: I'm a whore
Tribal tattoo: I'm a whore.
Flower tattoo: I'm a whore
Heart tattoo: I'm a whore.
Oriental tattoo: I'm a whore
Cartoon character tattoo: I'm a whore

I was just thinking that.
Before you reply to take issue: RELAX! Take a deep breath. I'm just kidding.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#28]
You don't want anything to do with them unless they have at least 5 stars

GM
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#29]
[arfcommer] Hey, this chick I banged one time had a star on her neck, so like a star means a chick is a total whore[/arfcommer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top