Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/8/2005 7:05:00 PM EDT
I live in a tiny rural county but it seems this is becoming the friggin meth capital of the world. In a  community of probably 5000 people, there have been countless meth labs busted over the past couple of years. There have been 3 taken down in the past 5 days.

The latest was tonight. This one exploded. The shockwave blew pieces of a storage building up to 500 ft away and the shockwave broke windows of homes in the vicinity. The homeowner was also badly burned in the process and was flown out by helicopter.

This kinda thing is really getting old. I know the only problems we use to have around here was just marijuana. The authorities worked for a decade or so eradicating pot and seemingly making it their priority over everything else. It seems they finally succeeded in shutting down the dope farmers, but something far worse has now replaced it. These meth labs are everywhere. Scary.

People are being blown up, burned and sickened by this crap and it just seems there is all too little that can be done about it. If this many people in such a small community is making this shit, then the number that's using it has to be staggering. The users and dealers/manufacturers both seem equally braindead as well. I know one fella who has been caught like 5 or 6 times within the past year or so. As soon as he gets out of jail, he restarts his lab again. Crazy. The courts are totally fucked because how can a guy be caught this many times and not be sitting in prison by now?

Sorry for the rant, but this crap just so irritates me. Someday I hope some people get a freaking clue.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Go all boonedock saint-ish on them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#2]
some will doubtedly respond here, "legalize meth!!!" like that's a magic cure or something.  Well think about it, if meth is legal it'd be legal to have legal meth labs everywhere.  If meth is legal but meth labs are still illegal then illegal meth labs will still pop up just like they are now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in a rural town in Southern Illinos. We have a pop. of 4600 and every other person is a meth head. Its scary and its getting worse every day. We wont be staying here much longer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
overheard on a police firing range..."this is more fun than shooting tracer rounds through a meth lab!"...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Know what you mean brother.  It ain't any better in Missouri.

One of my buddies was telling me a story about some guy that got busted trying to steal anhydrous from a storage tank.  He was crawling across a parking lot in a ghillie suit.

Someone should have told him Do not use the product you manufacture.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Meth is bad here too, I smelled someone cooking it while in a neighborhood the other day.

A friends brother was bad into it, after seeing a dark tinted impala sit infront of his house for a week off and on, I drove by the guys house who sold him the meth, they guy freaked then, you could see he was expected for me to stop and bust him or something.

If the methheads cant get it they will go to crack though, always something for your fix.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I live in a tiny rural county but it seems this is becoming the friggin meth capital of the world. In a  community of probably 5000 people, there have been countless meth labs busted over the past couple of years. There have been 3 taken down in the past 5 days.

The latest was tonight. This one exploded. The shockwave blew pieces of a storage building up to 500 ft away and the shockwave broke windows of homes in the vicinity. The homeowner was also badly burned in the process and was flown out by helicopter.

This kinda thing is really getting old. I know the only problems we use to have around here was just marijuana. The authorities worked for a decade or so eradicating pot and seemingly making it their priority over everything else. It seems they finally succeeded in shutting down the dope farmers, but something far worse has now replaced it. These meth labs are everywhere. Scary.

People are being blown up, burned and sickened by this crap and it just seems there is all too little that can be done about it. If this many people in such a small community is making this shit, then the number that's using it has to be staggering. The users and dealers/manufacturers both seem equally braindead as well. I know one fella who has been caught like 5 or 6 times within the past year or so. As soon as he gets out of jail, he restarts his lab again. Crazy. The courts are totally fucked because how can a guy be caught this many times and not be sitting in prison by now?

Sorry for the rant, but this crap just so irritates me. Someday I hope some people get a freaking clue.

Clay County?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Come to Minnesota or Iowa, we have lots of meth labs
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sounds to me like a little judicious sniper activity is in order!

At the very least...can you round up ten or twenty men you can trust who are able bodied,  can do a fair job of camouflaging themselves, and are up to the task of interdicting meth runners?

If a runner gets roadblocked by about ten well armed, masked men, and then is given a blanket party with the promise that they will die if they're ever seen in the area again,  then odds are that they'll get out and stay out.    

This has happened before.    The labs moved out of the area shortly thereafter.

CJ

You have to be careful with stuff like this.  Meth heads aren't exactly reknowned for their intelligence, nor for their sense of knowing when to pack it in.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the very least...can you round up ten or twenty men you can trust who are able bodied,  can do a fair job of camouflaging themselves, and are up to the task of interdicting meth runners?

If a runner gets roadblocked by about ten well armed, masked men, and then is given a blanket party with the promise that they will die if they're ever seen in the area again,  then odds are that they'll get out and stay out.    

CJ

You have to be careful with stuff like this.  Meth heads aren't exactly reknowned for their intelligence, nor for their sense of knowing when to pack it in.

Good point there, they normally dont learn their lesson the first 5 times or so.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clay County?

Not Clay County, but not very far away. I do hear Clay has their share of trouble though. You see bits on the news all the time about labs being busted there in every conceivable location. Barns, homes, abandoned houses, etc.

This meth stuff is getting ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Cute little story here:

The ONLY customer wh ever bounced a check to me. It was for a MEASLY 120.00. This was in a VERY upscale neighborhood. So I called and called and sent letters to no avail. Here we can send bad checks to the DA and when they go after you, you are in DEEP SHIT. About two weeks after i filed with the DA I was watching the news and THERE WAS THE HOUSE!! I jumped up and told my wife "HEY!! THATS MRS XXXXXX's HOUSE!!!"

turns out it was the BIGGEST meth lab bust EVER in our county. they said that if anyone was in the house there would be NO WAY not to know what was going on in there. Well I was in there and I had no clue.

At that point I felt like calling her and saying "NOW I KNOW YOU HAVE THE CASH TO COVER THE CHECK!!"

DA said to us about a month later... "Ummmmmm, I dont think you are gonna get your money now"

OH and BTW, me sending the check to the DA had nothing to do with the bust... just coincidence.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Meth is bad here too, I smelled someone cooking it while in a neighborhood the other day.

A friends brother was bad into it, after seeing a dark tinted impala sit infront of his house for a week off and on, I drove by the guys house who sold him the meth, they guy freaked then, you could see he was expected for me to stop and bust him or something.

If the methheads cant get it they will go to crack though, always something for your fix.

What does it smell like?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

Good point there, they normally dont learn their lesson the first 5 times or so.

Seems that the long held belief of "Don't get high off your own supply" is also lost on them. Around here, most manufacturers are also users, typically meaning that their brains are already fired.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, think about it...

Alcoholic beverages are legal.  Is it legal to have alcoholic beverage production facilities for the purpose of sales to the public "everywhere"?

No.

If "meth" were made legal for use and production as a recreational drug, the production facilities would undoubtedly become much safer as formal production procedures would undoubtedly make it more scientific, safe, and controlled.  Certainly better than a "Mom and Pop" operation doing it half-assed and blowing up neighborhoods.

Sure, you might have some illicit producers just like we have the remnants of moonshine production today.

Legalize recreational drugs.

To paraphrase...

"If a society collapses as a result of the legalization of recreational drugs, do you have society that is worth saving?"

---Steven Greenwald...MISC-L circa late 1990's.

...one of two people in the history of arfcom I have met.

Quoted:
some will doubtedly respond here, "legalize meth!!!" like that's a magic cure or something.  Well think about it, if meth is legal it'd be legal to have legal meth labs everywhere.  If meth is legal but meth labs are still illegal then illegal meth labs will still pop up just like they are now.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#18]
these ARE the evil times before the end...nothing will stop it. child abuse, drugs,  disease...get used to it and you won't be so bothered about it. if you try to do something about it you'll prolly be put in jail while the drugie goes to counceling and back to it 1 month later, go figure
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]
All I can say is THANK GOD we don't have any of those Tollulene (sp?) sniffers around here to add to the methheads.

Anyone ever see these people? Sheesh. They make methheads look well groomed and intelligent.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Much like the repeal of Prohibition put most moonshiners out of business, legalizing meth would likely do the same to meth labs. However, meth and alcohol are two very different animals. Legalizing meth would probably be a disaster. I hope for the best with illegal meth labs and users. Hopefully, when these labs explode, they will do so with maximum damage to the manufacturers and minimum damage to anyone else. Illegal meth is haphazard at best. One can only hope that as time goes on more meth addicts will be killed by their addictions, helping to clean up our streets.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#22]
My town is the meth lab capitol of the world.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#23]
The fact that most meth heads are criminal pieces of shit that would be out committing murder or armed robbery if it weren't for their illegal meth lab is often obscured by the repulsive, dangerous filth these labs generate.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Meth has just caught on in the last 6-12 months in this part of the world.  Now the morons who formerly had to try to deceive MDs to get narcs or grow weed can more easily cook meth.   In my opinion  meth will make all previous drug problems look like a cake walk.  I hope they all blow themselves up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#25]
First methlab bust here was last year .
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing like the smell of someone cooking Meth in the neighberhood

Atleast  meth eventually kills or extremely shortens the life of the loser user .

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#28]
When you see a meth head with just about all his teeth missing, he's almost dead.

It's everywhere in Missouri, probably the number one crime tieing up most sheriiffs, and the Attorney General is basically bogged down on the issue to the near exclusion of other crime - if it ain't violent, the AG has more pressing business.

My personal favorites are the mobile cookers, although I haven't heard of a van blowing up on the interstate since last summer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Why would anyone want to use such crap to start with? I mean any drug is bad, but some are a bit less dangerous and less harmful. So why meth? Is it cheaper? Does it give them a high more intense than other drugs?

Isn't meth also the drug that causes users to feel intensely hot and strip off their clothes in an effort to cool down?

Yep, I just can't figure why anyone would use such shit as that. Idiots!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Tell the Touline heads, or more aptly methylbenzene heads to add some Nitric Acid to their stash and heat that bad boy up…

They will get an real high… like sky high man if you know what I mean…
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm pretty sure someone on ARFCOM with a .50 cal rifle would be more than happy to help you out.

Ben
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I told my friend I'd inform him of any suspicious activity on his land if I saw any while Deer hunting...(he owns 2000 acres in West Texas)

Ben
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#34]
For us drug dummies.....what does a meth lab smell like?  How do the users behave? Wired like a coke head or what?

Guess I lived a sheltered life
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Serious question,  there seems to be more in the southern states, is this true?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
For us drug dummies.....what does a meth lab smell like?  How do the users behave? Wired like a coke head or what?

Meth has sort of the same effect as coke.  It's an amphetamine, methamphetamine to be precise.

If you see a guy with running sores all over his arms, missing teeth, and a severe case of the shakes, he's a hardcore user and in the final stages of a slow death.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#37]
A buddy of mine is a public defender in a rural area. It's endemic. There's a constant stream of meth cases. Apparently it's cheap and a bitchin high before you flame out.

The users are messed up. They're often paranoid and violent while high. Once they get detoxed for a couple days in the county jail they're often completley different. Once released they usually go right back onto it. Apparently longterm use removes the ability of their brain to experience pleasure without more meth in bigger and bigger doses.

Needless to say, the meth heads are not popular clients.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Well, think about it...

Alcoholic beverages are legal.  Is it legal to have alcoholic beverage production facilities for the purpose of sales to the public "everywhere"?

No.

If "meth" were made legal for use and production as a recreational drug, the production facilities would undoubtedly become much safer as formal production procedures would undoubtedly make it more scientific, safe, and controlled.  Certainly better than a "Mom and Pop" operation doing it half-assed and blowing up neighborhoods.

Sure, you might have some illicit producers just like we have the remnants of moonshine production today.

Legalize recreational drugs.

To paraphrase...

"If a society collapses as a result of the legalization of recreational drugs, do you have society that is worth saving?"

Quoted:

Wow. Dr. Greenwald. There is a blast from the past.

Bob
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Seems to be the hard drug of choice in rural areas, not necessarily limited to the south. Maybe the space to set up labs has something to do with it. Maybe the cops around here can comment.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't think I've ever heard of a meth lab anywhere in my area. Guess we're lucky so far.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Seems to be the hard drug of choice in rural areas, not necessarily limited to the south. Maybe the space to set up labs has something to do with it. Maybe the cops around here can comment.

The smell from cooking raises too many flags.  The space for the actual lab isn't that great, there have been mobile labs busted that were set up in vans or PU truck campers.  Also, one of the ingredients is ammonia which the cooks steal from farms.  

<edit to add>  I can kinda, sorta understand somebody popping an occasional upper (actual prescription type pills) to stay awake during a long journey or because of working long hours <the law notwithstanding>.....but doing meth, esp the crap that some of these goobers cook up, is downright insane.    
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks N.O.....

Now the smell of a nearby meth lab....ammonia?  Some other volatile substance?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, here a few years ago, there were some assmunches running around stealing those campers (the towed kind, not RV's) and using those to set up their labs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I've heard different descriptions of the smell. Some say it's a nasty, foul, sour smell. Some describe it as a vinegar smell. Others say it smells like ammonia based cleaners.

I've heard people say you'll know it when you smell it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks C_H
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#48]
It depends on the method used to make it.

Basically, you'll have a strong, noticable chemical odor where no chemical odor should be.  It will not be subtle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Steven Greenwald

What ever happened to him?  I used to really enjoy his stuff on the AR15 list.

Dennis Jenkins

To paraphrase...

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey arent the KY police becoming known for shooting black people lately?
Maybe they need to start shooting the meth runners and real criminals instead!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top