Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2005 6:01:19 PM EDT
I believe it was an America West Airbus (thought he said "Cactus").  Anyhow he told Phoenix Approach he got a laser in the face for a couple seconds from the McDowell Mountain area.  Now they want the pilots to keep an eye out for it   I don't believe they want to be looking in that direction at all.  The one who reported it said they were keeping their eyes closed.

This is becoming a real problem it seems.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]
This is stupid....its obviously not a very good method of causing accidents because we are hearing an awful lot about all these incedents occurring and ....oh...look...no crashes.

Maybe when the first drunk college kid with his stupid laser gets caught....and faces a military tribunal these incident will drop off somewhat.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit, I just flew out of there this morning.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
These could also be like test runs.  They know that their aiming systems are working by the reports coming   in.  So the real weapons could be either a more powerful laser or something else.  Too many in  different locations not to take seriously.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I just wonder how many are idiots playing with lasers to be assholes, or how many might be some sort of terrorist related activity.  I'm always assuming the asshole being stupid, but nowadays you can't be 100% positive.  Hopefully more people will get caught and put an end to it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Um, one guy got arrested for lasing a plane, but HTF did he do it?  And with what?  I know my aim could not be good enough to keep a handheld pointer on a plane cockpit window at a distance, let alone at speed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Approximately what altitude was the Airbus?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
There have been like 200 incidents in the last four years; none have actually taken down a plane.  Some pilots have had some temporary damage, but the only pilot to be seriously injured was a helicopter pilot in Puget Sound who got lased from a Russian trawler a couple of years ago.

It's a very inefficient way to take down a plane.  You would have to blind BOTH pilots, and hitting two little windows in a moving plane from miles away, long enough for the pilots to be injured is very difficult.

The latest article I've seen says the incident frequency hasn't gone up, it's just suddenly become newsworthy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I think all the reporting is encouraging people to do this, they need to find a nail a few peoples asses to the wall to stop it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Somebody mentioned using Wild Weasels..?

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Approximately what altitude was the Airbus?

I'm guessing 8000 descending into 6000.  That's just based on what I was hearing after as vectors.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe the pilots should wear one of these on their forhead. Lasertag!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe.....just maybe.....the lasers have nothing to do with blinding pilot?
Perhaps the incidents came as a result of testing a tracking device of some sort....something tells me there is more to this story...guess we will find out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I believe it was an America West Airbus (thought he said "Cactus").  Anyhow he told Phoenix Approach he got a laser in the face for a couple seconds from the McDowell Mountain area.  Now they want the pilots to keep an eye out for it   I don't believe they want to be looking in that direction at all.  The one who reported it said they were keeping their eyes closed.

This is becoming a real problem it seems.

... How did you hear about this incident?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top