Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2005 5:23:20 PM EDT
Ok, let me start off by saying I am totally against frivolous law suits and support tort reform to its fullest...however, I would love to make an example of these assholes, or atleast be a pain in their ass.

My computer has been backdoored, despite having McAffe running in the background, having windows service pack 2 installed, and running numerous anti-spyware programs. I have done everything I can think of to remove them (I'm very computer literate), but I cant get rid of this one.

Every time I run IE (yes, i know...i should be using firefox), I eventually get taken to this one website at some point or another. Not only that, but it turns on some stupid audio so I get to listen to their sales pitch time and time again.

Even though they are selling their shitty product, accept all forms of credit, etc, there is no phone number to reach them...that is until I did a 'whois' and got the name of the 'gentleman' who registered and owned the domain.

Is it possible to go after these assholes in court? I want to make their life as difficult as they have been making mine annoying?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats more of a browser hijack, spam is the junk mail.

Expect the place that does it not to be in the US for that reason
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thats more of a browser hijack, spam is the junk mail.

Expect the place that does it not to be in the US for that reason

no, they are in the US...atleast according to the domain registration info?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
and if they are in the US, where does one go about finding an ambulance chasing lawyer with zero ethics?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Get Spyguard its free and will take care of the browzer hijackers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
and if they are in the US, where does one go about finding an ambulance chasing lawyer with zero ethics?

I hear John Edwards is out of work.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear John Edwards is out of work.

rightfully so.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get Spyguard its free and will take care of the browzer hijackers.

I have also had great sucess with Spybot and Adaware (both free)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
well, can one sue?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:06:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:10:25 AM EDT
[#10]
First, keep up the line of bullshit that anyone who wants to sue on your behalf is a scumbag, and I guarantee that's that lawyer you will retain.

Second, get some damages. These mean that you can point to an amount of money that you have been harmed, they can either be real ("I can't use the computer anymore and it cost me $10,000") or statutory ("New Columbia law says I get at least $100 per day that my computer was chattel trespassed")or a combo of both.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:16:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok, let me start off by saying I am totally against frivolous law suits and support tort reform to its fullest...however, I would love to make an example of these assholes, or atleast be a pain in their ass.

My computer has been backdoored, despite having McAffe running in the background, having windows service pack 2 installed, and running numerous anti-spyware programs. I have done everything I can think of to remove them (I'm very computer literate), but I cant get rid of this one.

Every time I run IE (yes, i know...i should be using firefox), I eventually get taken to this one website at some point or another. Not only that, but it turns on some stupid audio so I get to listen to their sales pitch time and time again.

Even though they are selling their shitty product, accept all forms of credit, etc, there is no phone number to reach them...that is until I did a 'whois' and got the name of the 'gentleman' who registered and owned the domain.

Is it possible to go after these assholes in court? I want to make their life as difficult as they have been making mine annoying?

First off;
"Tort reform" has NOTHING to do with frivolous law suits (a term that only holds water in retrospect).
Second;
Go to tools-internet options-advanced- and make sure this box is unchecked (Enable third party browser extensions).

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:16:43 AM EDT
[#12]
tagged
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Depends on state laws.  Not sure about federal.  In Washington state, you can sue for damages to the tune of either $200 or $500 (I forget which) for each piece of spam.  I know someone who made a hobby of it for a while, and won against several (IIRC he won every time he sued), but I think only a few paid up.

Disclaimer:  this was around four years ago; the laws may have changed or been overturned since then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top