BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 4:36:48 PM EDT
Updated: January 8th, 2005 02:32:33 PM

Kansas Police Officer Braves Icy Waters To Save German Shepherd

DANA STRONGIN
Associated Press via The Wichita Eagle

A German shepherd took an icy dip in the Arkansas River on Friday morning.

Wichita police Sgt. Mark Jackson wasn't far behind.

After 9 a.m., dispatchers received several calls about the dog, who was in the river near Nims and North River Boulevard in the Riverside area.

Police, firefighters and animal control workers were called to the scene.

The dog was a few yards away from the bank, clinging to a ledge of ice with his two front paws. He had been in the water for about 15 minutes, witnesses told Jackson.

"That dog's not going to make it if we're going to wait," he thought, removing his radio, jacket and gun.

He was going in.

Jackson walked onto the ice, which got progressively thinner until he slipped into water that was just below his chest.

He hooked the dog's head onto a loop at the end of a pole and dragged it closer. An animal control worker helped pull the two out -- twice, because the dog slipped out of the loop once and Jackson went back in to get him.

"I felt the dog's life was in jeopardy, but I didn't think placing myself on the ice" would be dangerous, Jackson said. The water level is low in that area, and the current is weak, he said.

After a hot shower and a change of clothes, Jackson visited the dog, who was not wearing tags and was taken to the city's animal shelter on Hillside.

The German shepherd, who had looked a little raggedy coming out of the water, looked great, Jackson said.

"It was a beautiful dog," he said.

Jackson's partner then shot the dog when it glanced in his general direction.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
He just wanted to shoot him later......
ONLY KIDDING!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Updated: January 8th, 2005 02:32:33 PM

Kansas Police Officer Braves Icy Waters To Save German Shepherd

DANA STRONGIN
Associated Press via The Wichita Eagle

A German shepherd took an icy dip in the Arkansas River on Friday morning.

Wichita police Sgt. Mark Jackson wasn't far behind.

After 9 a.m., dispatchers received several calls about the dog, who was in the river near Nims and North River Boulevard in the Riverside area.

Police, firefighters and animal control workers were called to the scene.

The dog was a few yards away from the bank, clinging to a ledge of ice with his two front paws. He had been in the water for about 15 minutes, witnesses told Jackson.

"That dog's not going to make it if we're going to wait," he thought, removing his radio, jacket and gun.

He was going in.

Jackson walked onto the ice, which got progressively thinner until he slipped into water that was just below his chest.

He hooked the dog's head onto a loop at the end of a pole and dragged it closer. An animal control worker helped pull the two out -- twice, because the dog slipped out of the loop once and Jackson went back in to get him.

"I felt the dog's life was in jeopardy, but I didn't think placing myself on the ice" would be dangerous, Jackson said. The water level is low in that area, and the current is weak, he said.

After a hot shower and a change of clothes, Jackson visited the dog, who was not wearing tags and was taken to the city's animal shelter on Hillside.

The German shepherd, who had looked a little raggedy coming out of the water, looked great, Jackson said.

"It was a beautiful dog," he said.

Jackson's partner then shot the dog when it glanced in his general direction.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top