BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2005 2:37:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have several, but only because you just don't see them. I don't think they're worth much.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
We get them damn tokens and the gold ones out the vending machine here.  If I can make money let me know.

I got a Eisenhower at the bank last week.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I paid $5 for a box of stuff at an estate sale today.

Among the stuff were 16 SBA Dollars each individually wrapped in mint condition.

Are they worth more than a $1 per?

Also are wheat pennies worth more than a .01 now?

Not sure on collectors value. I still see them used from time to time.

I remember when they first came out, I was at a game arcade in greenbelt Md (10 yrs old or so)and got a $10 roll of quarters. all SBAs
you'd have thought I struck gold at first, then had to be all quiet.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on your buy.  You are up at least $11!

I don't know about the Susan B's, but the wheat pennies might be worth more depending on the shape they are in.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
wheatie pennies: you want a 1909 S VDB.  you'll be doing great

www.coinfacts.com/small_cents/lincoln_cents/wheat_ear_cents/1909s_vdb_cent.htm

Chris
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Chris

I had one today, I wasnt gonna spend it but I had to so i could buy that soda, that was a good soda.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I love estate sales "grab boxes" I got some neat stuff from those, always more than what I payed for.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

I had one today, I wasnt gonna spend it but I had to so i could buy that soda, that was a good soda.

read that link and start kicking yourself

Chris
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
On the pennies, depends on what year, what mint, and what condition they are in.
Can do some google work, or take them into a local deal to get the skinny.

The Susan B dollars are worth $1.....no collector value as there are so many in circulation.
You can just spend them....other than face value, they will never be worth anything.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey if you have one of those wheat pennies that aren't worth a mint - I'll buy it from you.  Sentimental value for me.  When I was a little girl my Grandma used to look through mounds of pennies looking for wheat pennies.  We used to have so much fun together looking for wheat pennies.  I can never remember finding one but I have fond memories of my grandmother!

Patty

IM on the way

Chris
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I still sort for silver here
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Just another example of the whiteman keeping the Quaker Womenz down...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I still get a wheat penny in change on rare occasions.

A few months ago I found a 1952 S, which is only worth about a dime.  It still delighted me immensely!

It’s not possible to put a value on one without knowing the year, mint mark and condition.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
If it's American currency, it will be accepted at face value unless you find a collector.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Susan B Anthony is my great great great(?) aunt.

End women's sufferage!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#19]
You might check Ebay and see what the Susan B's are going for. I did this a few times a while back when my bank had tons of them. I would buy them at face value and they would sell sell at 2 to 2 1/2 times that. I was selling them 20 at a time in one lot. Just an idea.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Everytime I buy stamps at the post office, I get Susan B's and Sacgawea dollars............and I have tons of them...........along with about 20 or so odd pounds of wheat pennies
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I need to start selling susan Bs and those Sasquatch dollars on ebay.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Is there any special about early 1960's nickels?  My grandmother left me a box of odds and ends when she died that had at least 200 of them in it.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Is there any special about early 1960's nickels?  My grandmother left me a box of odds and ends when she died that had at least 200 of them in it.  

circulated Susan B's contain no premium, nor do the Squaw dollars.  60's nickles contain no silver and no extra value.  I like to spend the $ coins just to aggravate cashiers at times.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I like to spend the $ coins just to aggravate cashiers at times.

Go in there with Dollar coins and Half dollars.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like to spend the $ coins just to aggravate cashiers at times.

Go in there with Dollar coins and Half dollars.

I love to use the $2 Bills   espacially for paying the tolls on the PA turnpike  its now 2.25  to get to philly.  The toll takers do know know what to do with it
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been carrying a Susy B. for a couple of weeks now. Spent the other one and the three gold $1 coins already.

Local cinema gives out both types of dollar coins and crisp new $2 bills as change.

<shrug>
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You might check Ebay and see what the Susan B's are going for. I did this a few times a while back when my bank had tons of them. I would buy them at face value and they would sell sell at 2 to 2 1/2 times that. I was selling them 20 at a time in one lot. Just an idea.

That is crazy.  Here is $40 for your $20.

I would do that all day.

And I charged for shipping on top of that. Crazy? Yes. But I am not forcing them to bid on my stuff. Besides, I like free money.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey Taxman, what do you want for  that Ike Dollar?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#30]
SBA coins were allegedly minted from 1979-1981. Unless they are stamped proof, they are worth exactly $1. A nickel, minted in the early 60s, is worth 5 cents. Ike dollars are worth $1.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:55:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't count those Susan B. Dollar coins out too soon,especially if they are as you say wrapped in "mint' condition!!! According to my Red Book of coins,a 1981 S Proof Type 2 Clear S is worth
$180.00,and the 1979 S Proof Type 2 Clear S is worth $100.00.Those prices are for Proof-65
condition coins. It might be worth your while to get these coins looked at by a reputable coin dealer,
you never know!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:27:07 AM EDT
[#33]
i am a coin collector of sorts..,
several months ago i was selling off my collection.., seemed that no one wanted this stuff then, now everyone wants something, i still have a quantity of silver, rolls of UNC. wheat pennies, quarters & dimes, i have 20, one ounce comm. silver bars, Ike $ & Morgan $.., uncirculated steel war time pennies etc., the stuff i have is too numerous to mention, so if any one wants somthing let me know by IM or Email
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:32:20 AM EDT
[#34]
there is NO US coin ""stamped proof"".., they are a very brilliantly polished coin, come in a special container
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
there is NO US coin ""stamped proof"".., they are a very brilliantly polished coin, come in a special container

The "S" mint mark would indicate that it was a proof coin.

The 1981 date was the least circulated of the three release dates (1979 - 1981).  I still doubt a mint 1981 P or D mint mark would be worth much more than $1.50.  No one really cares about them too much.  The US Mint did re-release the SBA in 1999 as uncirculated and as a proof IIRC.  Those would have more value to them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#36]
""The "S" mint mark would indicate that it was a proof coin.""

oooooooh really ???????

in that case then, i have several rolls of proof coins.., pennies, nickles, dimes quarters & halves !!!about 50 walking liberty halves with "S" mint mark, some silver dollars...., i must have a small fortune here & don't know it !!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

oooooooh really ???????

in that case then, i have several rolls of proof coins.., pennies, nickles, dimes quarters & halves !!!about 50 walking liberty halves with "S" mint mark, some silver dollars...., i must have a small fortune here & don't know it !!!!!!!!  

If you are an avid coin collector, then you would know that an "S" mint mark on a SBA could only be a proof coin.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#38]
If they are 1979, and they have a thin vs. a thick border adound the design they yes they are valuable. If they are proofs, then $5 + depending on year...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#39]
What you really want is a copper 1943 penny.  i think they made like 20 of them?  (recall that the early 40's pennies were steel, not copper).

Or a 1955 D double die penny.  They are worth quite a bit.

If I am not mistaken, most wheat pennies are not worth more than perhaps $.25 uncirculated (that is, in new condition).
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

oooooooh really ???????

If you are an avid coin collector, then you would know that an "S" mint mark on a SBA could only be a proof coin.

ahem....<clears throat>  Susan B. Anthony Dollars 1979 to Date Regular Strikes
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I still have 23 steel pennies. All are 1943 dated.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#42]
the other day I was making a purchase at my local corner store when I noticed a "pre '58" penny laying on the counter. I traded the clerk one of my pennies for that one and as I stuck it in my pocket I noticed the date, 1916,  value: maybe 1.1 cents  

A few years ago I was in the local wrecking yard treasure hunting the back seats of old cars.  I pulled up the rear seat of one and found over $25 (face value) in coins including; wheat pennies,  mercury head dimes, buffalo head nickels, pre "65 quarters and dimes as well as all manner of Canadian coinage from the early 1900's.  I wonder if the guys at the counter noticed that all of my fatigue pockets were bulging when I walked  jingled out of there!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oooooooh really ???????

WW

Damn , that's amazing $$

Chris
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Hey Taxman, what do you want for  that Ike Dollar?

Not really on my sell list, but if you really want it IM me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#45]
If the SBA are worth more than a dollar let me know!  All the change machines here at work give them when you change a $5 bill and the light rail stations have been giving them as change for as long as I can remember.

Went to cash my military paycheck once and they gave us our money all in $2 bills to get them distributed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Correction: There are a variety of US coins specifically struck as "proof coins." These coins are stamped for presentation or collector's appeal and have been produced in limited quantities, periodically from time to time, since the latter half of the 19th century. A proof coin is not made from any specific special die, but from ordinary dies made exclusively for proof coin mintage. The die is flawless and is checked, cleaned and polished more thoroughly than dies used for ordinary circulating coins. This gives the often mistaken impression that the coins themselves are polished. You are correct, however, when you state that proof coins are specially packaged in what is usually air tight containers. Any proof coing found in circulation is no longer a proof coin, but is considered "proof like." And yes, US proof coins are currently minted exclusively in San Francisco and bear an "S" mint mark.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I've got a couple of 1886 silver dollars in very good condition. I've always wondered what they were worth. Any links to a coin site?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#48]
what are buffalo nickels worth?  I just got ahold of one last week.  I was stoked cause i hadnt seen one before.  I know they arent really worth anything but it made my day.  It doesnt even have a date on it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#49]
1886 Morgan Dollars are generally common dated coins. They are worth perhaps 10$ each or so, but the value is far greater if they are in uncirculated condition. If fact, if your coin was an 1886 O (check for mint mark on the lower bottom reverse side of the coin) in choice uncirculated condition, it would be worth over $100,000 bucks. 1886 Morgans came either without a mint mark or with a "O" or "S" mint mark.  Buffualo nickels with no dates are comonly referred to as "slicks" and are worth about 10 cents each.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:32:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oooooooh really ???????

Well, I stand corrected and am eating a nice plate of crow for breakfast.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top