Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 2:37:07 PM EDT
I was out on the road with my GPS today and completely lost all contact with GPS satelittes for about two maybe three hours.  Then they came back online instantly and have continued to work the rest of the day.
I was driving within a similar area with a radius of no bigger than 100 miles.    I tried to contact friends with GPS units to confirm wether the problem was just my receiver or everybodies.  However I could never get in contact with anybody.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

I am moving to my shelter.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
have had a similar problem for the past 2-3 days around 9am-11am cst here. At first i thought it was extreame cloud cover but my xm radio still worked fine. the second time was in open sky.

i figure the .gov is up to something and scrambling it.

Thanks Beer slayer.
I almost came home and activated the "Dieselman Level orange Contingency plan"
But I didn't.   Rather I kept going about my business, believing my new GPS went tits up.
Knowing what I do now, I believe I experienced the same thing you did.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine worked just fine.But then again they are military issue PLGRS.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You really think they'd disable civillian GPS during peacetime – with all the commercial aviation and marine users?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#10]
. Navigation

The Loran and Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) systems are  the primary navigation methods available to aircraft and  watercraft. The older Loran system is disrupted during solar  flares, energetic proton events, and/or geomagnetic storms.  The GPS system is less susceptible to space environment  variations but not immune. Scintillation of the GPS signal  during ionospheric storms degrades the accuracy of locations  derived from this navigation system.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top