Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2005 9:17:29 AM EDT
Are these guys really as bad as they are made out to be in Hollywood...?With the exception of sgtar15 of course... does anyone know any "real" badasses... For Example - Jason Bourne in the Bourne Identity or Vincient in Collateral...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#1]
what does electroconvulsive therapy have to do with Special Forces??
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
what does electroconvulsive therapy have to do with Special Forces??

What..?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]
see sig line
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Now I can die, Ive seen everything.........................
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Now I can die, Ive seen everything.........................

we've found another rock layer, let's dig a little deeper...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are these guys really as bad as they are made out to be in Hollywood...?With the exception of sgtar15 of course... does anyone know any "real" badasses... For Example - Jason Bourne in the Bourne Identity or Vincient in Collateral...

Yes, I know exactly one (CIA).

Sorry but I don't know how to compare a real person to two movie actors.

5sub
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
one of my dad's friends was some kind of AF special ops in Vietnam and then joined the CIA and spent a chunk of 80's in A-stan fighting with Massoud, delivering stingers, bags of money, etc.

He taught me how to drive a stick and how to repair lawnmowers, so I guess he's pretty bad ass

Also got some good Dari and Pashto cuss words out of him.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#8]
The go by Special Activities Division (S.A.D.) but yes they are true badasses, most are former Spec Ops operators, no Hollywierd Bournes though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#10]
The Special Forces personnel that I have met were great.  Quiet confidence and very professional!  I was an Army Quartermaster officer.  The Special Forces' attitude towards support personnel was quite different  from the average infantrymen.  Special Forces treated us much better, but then, they didn't have to prove anything to themselves or anyone else.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought a mall ninja would have chimed in by now.

I'm a little saddened.

They....are the true badasses.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Special Forces' attitude towards support personnel was quite different  from the average infantrymen.  

Then again, maybe that's because the average infantryman can't get 20 feet of 550 cord, a roll of 100mph tape, and a basic load of 7 M16A2 magazines out of Supply without an act of Congress.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I know one guy that worked for the Company during Vietnam.  You wouldn't know it by looking at the guy now, but in his day he was truely a badass.  This guy keeps to himself and generally doesn't talk about his time in the jungles of Vietnam (Cambodia) but when he gets on a roll, the stories he tells....  just wow.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey you came to the right place to find out!!!  This board is full of them.  Not only them, but spooks from every letter of the alphabet.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Special Forces' attitude towards support personnel was quite different  from the average infantrymen.  

Then again, maybe that's because the average infantryman can't get 20 feet of 550 cord, a roll of 100mph tape, and a basic load of 7 M16A2 magazines out of Supply without an act of Congress.

Fuck off!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You might want to ask some of the guys in this thread:

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=311566

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might want to ask some of the guys in this thread:

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=311566

Yeah, I got a kick out of that.  Just like listening to some lard-ass at the range with BDUs on and a brand new AR.  People who do, dont tell.  People who dont, .............well..........just ask em.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I always wondered how they made Matt Damon seem like such a badass,  I met him for a while when I was bouncing at sundance a couple years ago.  He's roughly the size of my ten year old.  He's tiny.

He bumped me and I turned around and looked at him (without realizing who he was) and he just said : "you scare me" and started backing up.

I wish I would have lectured him on concealed carry  and civilian handgun owners since he's an anti but then some stupid chicks started going all crazy and I had to protect him from the wild 13 year olds, most of which were bigger than he was.

The special forces guys I've met were very quiet, very subtle.  Only a couple  will tell you stories, one of them just retired from the special forces management at bragg. My favorite story was when he almost shot down an A10 with a telephone pole during training exercises and when he bet some grenadian army guys they couldn't hit a satelite dish from a long distance with a grenade launcher and they did, wiping out comms for a few days.

Most of them you'd never know though...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#20]
An old classmate's dad works for the CIA. He mostly pilots a desk and wishes his job wasn't so fricking boring, but it pays well. I also have a friend who is desperate to join the FBI and become a translator/field agent. I've got ten bucks that says he gets his ass shot within the first year of employment.

I used to be in special forces, but they kicked me out after I used my concealed-carry .50BMG full-auto to knock down a sattelite while bump-firing from the waist in the swimming pool. How was I to know that was the one carrying the Playboy Channel signal? Ungrateful bastards, after I jumped on a grenade to save their lives too.

So what if it was a dummy, it still hurt like heck when I got a metal pineapple rammed into my ribcage.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The go by Special Activities Division (S.A.D.) but yes they are true badasses, most are former Spec Ops operators, no Hollywierd Bournes though.

Sigh......

Maybe it's just inexperienced bravado, but MAN I'd love to be one of those guys......

Oh, well. Paper-pushing for me, I guess....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top