Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 8:54:11 AM EDT
I was trying to buy a bed for my new apartment. I went to mattress warehouse because they had a "sale". They didn't have the mattress I watned in stock, a plush sealy model. I ended up buying the pillow top model instead, even though it cost more, because I needed to have it delivered by the next day so that I wouldn't have to sleep on the floor.

Then it turns out they didn't have it in stock after all, although they neglected to tell me until after charging me my $1000. So, I have to go to a hotel for a night to sleep. They said they would deliver it the next day though. The next day comes, and they call saying that they can't deliver it because their delivery guys are too busy. So, I go home for the night, driving 150 miles each way. Now on the third day, they finally deliver the mattress. Hooray.

Now, several days later, I just got a call from them. It turns out they forgot to charge my credit card $50 for delivery, even though the delivery was supposed to be free. They want me to come down to their store so they can charge me an extra $50. Even though they didn't have the mattress I wanted in stock, told me a more expensive one was in stock to get me to buy it even though it wasn't in stock, and couldn't deliver it on time like they said. All these reasons are what got me to buy this bed in the first place, and I got scammed on all counts.

So, what should I do? I told them I'd come down at my earliest convienance. Well it's the weekend right now and it wouldn't be very convienant for me to come down while I'm trying to relax, now would it? And I start work on Monday, and for the first couple weeks, I'm gonna be very busy. So I figure I won't have time to come down to their store to pay them $50 for no reason for, oh say, 10 or 20 years.

On the bright side, the guys at office depot were really nice. I bought a desk from them which I had to lug up my stairs by my self in pieces, which wasn't too bad because one of their clerks helped me load it into my car in pieces. After assembling it, I found a crack in one of the supports. The next day, it started to fall apart, so I took my computer off of it and then it did fall apart, ripping out all of the screws from the wood in the process. I went down to the store and they had one of their guys with an SUV bring me a new desk, help me carry it up to my apartment, and then get rid of the broken one, for no cost or hassle. So +1 for office depot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#1]
1K for a matress??? Holy Shit!

So you didn't buy the one you wanted because it wasn't on stock an dupgraded to a more expensive model that wasn't on stock either and had to spend more monaey on a hotel?

Tell them you'll pay the $50 when they pay you the hotel and inconveniences they caused you... Or just tell them to pound sand directly...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So you didn't buy the one you wanted because it wasn't on stock an dupgraded to a more expensive model that wasn't on stock either and had to spend more monaey on a hotel?

That about sums it up.

I'd consider stiffing them, but since I am buying this over time, I am worried they will slap a non-payment notification on me that might hurt my credit rating.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That about sums it up.

I'd consider stiffing them, but since I am buying this over time, I am worried they will slap a non-payment notification on me that might hurt my credit rating.

I would call the BBB, and tell MW to FOAD.  Free delivery is free delivery.

That whole thing sucks, but it is somewhat your problem that you had to sleep on the floor though.

Today seems to be the day for businesses to charge extra fees after the deal is done.  Cars, matresses...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#4]
They said FREE delivery...  I would have told the manager right off the bat that I did not intend to pay the extra fee.

I remember the once a long time ago when I bought a mattress. The salesdude sold me the one off the floor, at a substantial discount to make way for a new model. He informed me that I could pick it up right away, and I told him that I was going to get my budy's pickup to take it home. He said my mattress would waiting for me on the loading dock.

So I go home, get my freind to come down and help me pick this thing up, and the guy at the back of the store refuses to get the mattress, telling me that that I would have to come back the next day. I politely informed him of what the salesman had told me, and he said they would have to wait until after hours, so as not to ruin their pretty display.

Salesman is telling me one thing, the loading dock is telling me another, and I had incoveinced my freind to drive 20 miles. I was damned pissed. I yelled at the top of my lungs like a drill sergeant, and told him to go get the damn mattress off of the floor and put it in the truck. He said yes sir, and did just that. R. Lee Ermey would have been proud
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top