Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 10:37:41 PM EDT
Hey guys; I found what I think is a pretty good deal on a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel.  It has 112,611 miles on it.  There's a local dealer that has one for $17,000.  It's an extended cab, 4 doors (suicide style), 4x4 loaded; Laramie SLT and every option.  The engine runs good.  It also has an automatic, which as rebuilt 1400 miles ago and carries a transferrable 12,000 mile warranty from a highly reputable local tranny shop.  

What do you guys think of this truck?  For the guys out there who own one around the 1999 model year, is there anything I should be aware of as far as the engine and drivetrain?  Any trouble spots with the Cummins diesel, or anything I should look for should I go look at it again?  I'm new to diesels; I've always had gas vehicles.  Thanks!

Kevin  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab with a Cummins Turbo Diesel and almost have a 100K on it.  Other than the normal wear and tear items (tires, brakes), the only things that have gone on it so far were the A/C compressor and crank case sensor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I promise after you own a diesel, you will never buy a gas engine again.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your advice, guys.  I was going back and forth between a SIlverado 1500 and a Ram 2500, but only if it has a Cummins.  I go back and forth between the two all the time, but I really do think I have a better chance getting a Cummins.  

If anyone else out there has any wors of wisdom, please, by all means, share them!

Kevin
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wanna bet?

Vehicles owned in 04:
00 F250 DIESEL (kept 12 mo)
04 Mustang Cobra (kept 6 mo)
04 Dodge 2500 DIESEL (kept 2 mo)
04 Mach 1 (currently)
Future 2nd vehicle: GAS engine truck, loved my V10 back in 01, kept it for the longest time (2+ yrs), I've come to the conclusion I don't pull cattle trailer (2x/yr maybe) enough to justify a diesel as a 2nd vehicle

Now, as far as your primary vehicle,

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanna bet?

Vehicles owned in 04:
04 Mach 1 (currently)
Future 2nd vehicle: GAS engine truck, loved my V10 back in 01, kept it for the longest time (2+ yrs), I've come to the conclusion I don't pull cattle trailer (2x/yr maybe) enough to justify a diesel as a 2nd vehicle

If I had money like the Rockefeller's, Kennedy's, and Gunlvr8's there would be an airplane between there somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey guys; I found what I think is a pretty good deal on a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel.  It has 112,611 miles on it.  There's a local dealer that has one for $17,000.  It's an extended cab, 4 doors (suicide style), 4x4 loaded; Laramie SLT and every option.  The engine runs good.  It also has an automatic, which as rebuilt 1400 miles ago and carries a transferrable 12,000 mile warranty from a highly reputable local tranny shop.  

What do you guys think of this truck?  For the guys out there who own one around the 1999 model year, is there anything I should be aware of as far as the engine and drivetrain?  Any trouble spots with the Cummins diesel, or anything I should look for should I go look at it again?  I'm new to diesels; I've always had gas vehicles.  Thanks!

Kevin  

Personally, I'd get the Ford F-250.  While the Cummins is the better engine, Ford has the better truck.  Dodge has that crappy Dana 60 axle with ball joints, turd axle if there ever was one.

My .02.

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Great engine surrounded by a POS truck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad has a 1999 dodge ram 3500 with a cummins. It is a really good truck. There are a few VERY common problems with these 2nd gen trucks. The most common, and potentially the most costly, is the dreaded lift pump failure. There are two fuel pumps on these trucks. The first is called the lift pump. It sucks fuel out of the fuel tank and also 'lifts' it up a bit. The lift pump is located in the engine compartment on the drivers side.

From a pumps standpoint it is easier to push fluid than suck it. Locating the pump in the engine compartment was a poor design choice by Dodge. It should have been located on the frame rail right next to the tank. On the 2005 RAM cummins trucks the pump is in the tank.

If the lift pump fails the truck will run fine (for a while). You may notice a very small decrease in power. However when this pump fails it puts a large strain on the high pressure injector pump (a BOSCH VP44). The VP44 uses diesel as a lubricant as well as a coolant. If a failed liftpump goes un-noticed for any lenght of time it can take out the VP44 due to a lack of lubrication.

The liftpump is around $300 canadian (~$250USD). The VP44 is MANY thousands of dollars to replace.

Make the dealer test the liftpump before you buy it. If it is defective make them replace it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Personally, I'd get the Ford F-250.  While the Cummins is the better engine, Ford has the better truck.  Dodge has that crappy Dana 60 axle with ball joints, turd axle if there ever was one.

My .02.

Merlin

The Ford has the same crappy ball joint Dana 60 in the front.   Basiclly anything with unit bearings sucks ass.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 2002 2500Ram 4x4  with the CTD and love it.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have always been a FORD man myself.

But after much reading and looking I bought a 2003 Dodge RAM 3500 QC DRW w/5.9 Cummins H.O. It also now has 97,000 miles on the ticker and not one problem.

And never looked back! I love it to death.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a 2001 Ram 1500 gaser. It was a great vehicle, never took it in during it's new wrranty period. I traded it in and just got a 2005 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie with a Cummins. I couldn't be any happier with it. I ordered this one and it took 2 1/2 months to get, so I got it exactly like I wanted. Six speed, leather, 4.10 rears and towing package. I also have a 2004 Ford Excursion with the 6.0 powerstroke diesel built by International (Navistar), the Cummins hands down beats the powerstroke..  :)

I think what your looking at would be a 2nd generation Cummins engine. It's a tad bit noisier then my 3rd gen, but they are top notch and you won't be disatisfied.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think what your looking at would be a 2nd generation Cummins engine. It's a tad bit noisier then my 3rd gen, but they are top notch and you won't be disatisfied.

I can't even hear my 03 running next to a 2nd gen. I don't mind though cause I can let it warm up in the middle of the night without waking up the neighbors.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My .02.

Merlin

My 2005 Ram 3500 has American axles. I think the 2500's come with the same axels today as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#15]
dont get it with an auto, ram trannies are shit, their manual will last you forever
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanna bet?

Vehicles owned in 04:
04 Mach 1 (currently)

If I had money like the Rockefeller's, Kennedy's, and Gunlvr8's there would be an airplane between there somewhere.

Dreamin.............dream dream dream,..............  P51 maybe, I wish

The problem I had with the 04 Dodge Cummins HO was I just don't like to drive trucks daily anymore, it doesn't fit my style I guess.  After my father died, he left me the unfinished farm, no hard pullin truck, had just sold my V10 for a mustang, so once I needed something for pulling a new gooseneck trailer, the used 00 Ford diesel did that fine as a second vehicle, cobra became my daily driver.  I later got the idea to just lose both the cobra and the diesel and get a really loaded dodge cummins to drive daily and pull if needed, big mistake, I just missed the small car for running around in.  I've heard the automatics can be troublesome in the older dodges, but they supposedly beefed them up in the 04-05's.  One thing I noticed is that the cummins HO was very quiet when I first bought it, but after 8K miles in 2 months, it was a lot noisier, but not as bad as an old powerstroke.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
dont get it with an auto, ram trannies are shit, their manual will last you forever

Their new 48re is not that bad unless you tow alot. I have the 6sp cause all I do is tow. The 6sp is not what you want if you want to run another diesel that has an auto tranny. That being said I don't drag race my truck....I just work it
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
$17k for a truck with 100,000+ miles on it ???  

I just bought a LOADED 2000 Chevy 4x4 Dually with 39,000 miles on it for $17,900.
It was darn near $40k new...

It runs and drives like a brand new truck...

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .02.

Merlin

The Ford has the same crappy ball joint Dana 60 in the front.   Basiclly anything with unit bearings sucks ass.

Dynatrac makes a kit to fix that. 05 SuperDuties have a reverse cut 60 front. The 450s have 35 spline shafts and extremely large knuckles. I wish they were an option on the lighter trucks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I promise after you own a diesel, you will never buy a gas engine ANOTHER again.

Fixed it for ya...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .02.

Merlin

My 2005 Ram 3500 has American axles. I think the 2500's come with the same axels today as well.

Later models have AAM axles. in the 90s and before a combination of Dana 60s and 70s or 80s was common.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I can't even hear my 03 running next to a 2nd gen. I don't mind though cause I can let it warm up in the middle of the night without waking up the neighbors.

You let your Cummins idle to warm up? I'd never do that as the cylinder walls don't get hot enough with just idling. Unburned fuel washes down the walls, dilutes the oil and will cause cylinder glazing. Less you have an exhaust brake which provides back pressure to raise temps never idle for more then a few minutes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Excellent trucks, my da has a 01 4x4 dually with a programmer and that thing runs like a gas burner, damn stout too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Get ready for a Transmission.  115,000 is the majic  number. The engine is good for 350 K.
We were talking this week about trucks ( funny you bring it up), We have been doing lots of Dodge transmissions this year.  We used to  do lots of Ford trucks, but when they introduced the 4R100 in 1997 things have gotten alot better with Ford. In fact we haven't done any newer Fords ( 2000-2002) in the last 6 months.  OUr shop does alot of Vehicles.
If you hook an F250 7.3 diesel back to back with a Dodge 2500 Cummins, the Ford will pull it around like there was nothing there.  The Power Stroke has some balls.  We had one in last year that has some mods on it and the owner puched it in 4wd and it literally lit all 4 tires, It was bad.

Top honers go to the Chevy with the Allison and their Duramax, but it is big dollers.  The Duramax was bad enough that it was breaking the Allison Torque Converters soon after they were relaeased.
Just my observations.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I rate the engines like so:

Cummins

Powerstroke 6.0l
Duramax
Powerstroke 7.3L
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You let your Cummins idle to warm up? I'd never do that as the cylinder walls don't get hot enough with just idling. Unburned fuel washes down the walls, dilutes the oil and will cause cylinder glazing. Less you have an exhaust brake which provides back pressure to raise temps never idle for more then a few minutes.

Yep, I got a PAC Brake I love the E brakes! I have 97K on the truck and still have the factory set of brake pads on it. I hardly ever tuch the brake peddal unless I want to let others know that I am comming to a stop. I also still have the factory tires on it too. I might need a new set at about 105,000 miles.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]
i drive a one ton dodge  3500 work truck    never had a bit of a problem with  tows up to 15 grand and the cummins in a fine dam motor    we did lose the tranny  5 speed at 287 grand   its so cool to pass a powerstoke on a hill with a cummins and and bobcat on the back    
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Kevin  

Call the trans shop and ask them how much it cost to rebuild the tranny and also ask them if it is a reliable trans design.  If they are honest, you might change your mind, or at least start saving for the next trans build.........

Dodge is going to copy the Allison soon.  Maybe in 05.  They can't call it an Allison, but it will be from the same blueprints.  Motor-wise, great engine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .02.

Merlin

NOpe I don't think so.  The Ford F-250's come with what's called Dana 50's, basically a Dana 60 with Dana 44 internals, but it still has the Dana 60 kingpins instead of the ball joints.

Still would get the Ford, though, and I own a Dodge '98 Ram 1500 4x4.

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .02.

Merlin

NOpe I don't think so.  The Ford F-250's come with what's called Dana 50's, basically a Dana 60 with Dana 44 internals, but it still has the Dana 60 kingpins instead of the ball joints.

Merlin

99-01 had the Dana 50. DRW of all years and 02+ had Dana 60, and now they are hella strong reverse cut units.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you everyone for your replies.  Maybe I'm just blind to it, but I don't see why everyone has beef with Dodge auto trannies.  I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota with 117K on the original tranny and O/D unit, and not one spec of trouble from it.  I guess it was maintained very well by the previous owner.  However, all tranny issues aside, I have a few more questions about owning a Cummins that I thought up.

1.)  How often, if ever, do the injection pumps fail?  I just wonder because that is a VERY high dollar item on a Cummins, and would like to know how reliable you guys think those parts are.

2.)  I saw the post on the lift pump and it going bad.  How can you test one to be sure it's still good?

3.)  I do not have ready access to a place to plug in the block warmer.  If I had to, I could plug it in for a little while and sit with it, but the dorms on base don't have outlets out in the lot; only two I found are by the main entrance.  How reliable is the Cummins to start on cold, midwest winter days?  Any issues with that?

If I think of anything more, I'll post; otherwise any help with the above is appreciated!

Kevin
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Thank you everyone for your replies.  Maybe I'm just blind to it, but I don't see why everyone has beef with Dodge auto trannies.  I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota with 117K on the original tranny and O/D unit, and not one spec of trouble from it.  I guess it was maintained very well by the previous owner.  However, all tranny issues aside, I have a few more questions about owning a Cummins that I thought up.

My beef is $2600 in 14K miles from my 4x4 98 halfton with 5.9liter.  I honestly loved that truck, but couldn't afford to replace that shitty 46RE auto tranny. Get the 3/4 ton Cummins, save your money for an APS transmission, and when you get done, you will have a damn fine truck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I would only get one if it had a manual tranny.  I've heard of too many problems with the auto, I also heard they detune to engine when used with auto transmissions.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .02.

Merlin

Merlin

Sorry, but all Dana 60's are ball joints now.  Dana hasnt made a king pin axle since the early 90's ( I think the 93 Dodge was the last to use the king pin axle)  Check out  Pirate 4x4 Front Dana 60 Page
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#36]

How often, if ever, do the injection pumps fail? I just wonder because that is a VERY high dollar item on a Cummins, and would like to know how reliable you guys think those parts are.

The injection pumps shouldn't fail unless the lift pump fails causing the injector pump to overheat due to improper cooling and lubercation.

I saw the post on the lift pump and it going bad. How can you test one to be sure it's still good?

Do a fuel pressure test. Install a pressure guage on the outled of the fuel filter. There is a fitting there. I think it is 1/4"NPT. Bump the starter but do not start the engine. The lift pump will run for around 20 sec. It should read ~10psi.

I do not have ready access to a place to plug in the block warmer. If I had to, I could plug it in for a little while and sit with it, but the dorms on base don't have outlets out in the lot; only two I found are by the main entrance. How reliable is the Cummins to start on cold, midwest winter days? Any issues with that?

The engines start OK in the cold. If you will never have a place to plug in you could consider investing in an ESPAR heater.  Dodge espar heater

The engine wont heat up very good if it is just idling. They need to be loaded/driven in order to generate heat. All diesels are like that.

These are good trucks. The engine will last forever.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#37]
The 5.9L Cummins is a damn fine engine for a pickup application. Too bad it's the meat in a shit sandwich.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Too bad it's the meat in a shit sandwich.

Heh, so says you
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#39]
you won't be disappointed!  solid trucks.  You might want to check out the stuff that bully dog has for the dodge cummins engines, better performance and mileage.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Maybe I'm just blind to it, but I don't see why everyone has beef with Dodge auto trannies.  I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota with 117K on the original tranny and O/D unit, and not one spec of trouble from it.

Apples to oranges.

The automatic that Dodge puts in 3/4 and 1-ton trucks with the Cummins is a piece of gosa, and has been since the 80's. An entire cottage industry has sprung up around aftermarket parts and modifications that attempt to make it reliable.

It ain't worth the grief.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

1.)  How often, if ever, do the injection pumps fail?  I just wonder because that is a VERY high dollar item on a Cummins, and would like to know how reliable you guys think those parts are.

2.)  I saw the post on the lift pump and it going bad.  How can you test one to be sure it's still good?

3.)  I do not have ready access to a place to plug in the block warmer.  If I had to, I could plug it in for a little while and sit with it, but the dorms on base don't have outlets out in the lot; only two I found are by the main entrance.  How reliable is the Cummins to start on cold, midwest winter days?  Any issues with that?

If I think of anything more, I'll post; otherwise any help with the above is appreciated!

Kevin

A Dakota isn't a 1 ton truck producing 400 to 600 foot pounds of torque, unless it is in a collision with a tractor.............

I qualify my remarks with the backing of a fleet mechanic.  The auto trans fails.  It fails frequently.  It is too weak.  When it goes, it usually 'grenades' and leaves no usable core to rebuild, requiring a complete replacement, starting around $3000 for average repairs.  Any questions?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#42]
After reading all the posts, I decided that if I were to get a Ram with the Cummins, I would prefer the manual.  Many others I have spoken too said that the manuals are damned near indestructiblae, and the autos aren;t worth it.  I've found a couple manuals that I will look at,

Also, concerning the lift pump.  There is a company I found that makes a kit that enables you to add a Carter 7 psi push pump to the fuel lines uner the truck.  This has proven to be a very easy and reliable fix to the lift pump problem on the Cummins ISB engines.  The guy that told me about it has put almost 65,000 miles on his lift pump with this kit and has never had any abnormal drops in fuel pressure.  He told me he was going through pumps every 15K miles or so.  This one has outlasted every one of the others he's had, and he owes it to this kit.  Several others agree.

So I pretty much decided if I get one of these things, it has to be a manual, have a fuel pressure gauge put in immediately, followed by that kit.  That should give me a real nice truck.

Kevin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top