Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 8:37:59 PM EDT
You know, the people who have a sudenly violent facial tick, or can't stop shouting obscenities? I don't anyone that has it, but the thought just popped into my mind is all.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#1]
No. Fuck! Ass! Maybe.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Fucker texan, asshat, horse puckies.

They are around but usually due to medication, they are controlled and quiet.  You get one without meds once in a while but the ones that dont like to take the meds dont go out much.  The meds themselves have some long lasting side-effects that make the aliment harder to control.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I did.....man, what a riot!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Know anyone with Tourettes Syndrome?

Sorta. For obvious reasons, getting to actually know someone with TS is a long, oft frustrating process.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
the guy that lives across the street from my mom.

very nice man when he is on his meds.

hysterical when he's not and has had a few cocktails.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The company I worked for had a customer that had Tourette's, I had seen it on TV so I knew what it was, it's pretty bizarre, every few minutes he would have an outburst, his business partner would be talking to us, and out would come a single word, usually f*** or s***, and definitely not as participation in the conversation.

One thing it really makes you think about, people who have been said to be possessed almost certainly had something like this going on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
My best friend has it - and I didn't know until he told me last month.  I've known him for 8 years....he says he has learned to control it in public, but it's pretty much uncontrollable at his home.  Actually, it explains a couple things to me over the last few years, but i just figured he was worked up at the time.

As for myself, I wonder if I have it every time I watch a political debate!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
My brother has Tourette.

It's Tourette, not Tourettes incidentally, in case you were wondering.  Which I'm sure you weren't.  

I know another guy that has it but he doesn't know he has it. He ticks like there's no tomorrow but he thinks he's ADD.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have known two children who have tourettes. Neither had a problem with vocal outbursts, but both had facial tic's, and unvoluntary head movement. What is distinctive about this, is that the movements were always the same. Tic, then quick movement of the head in the same direction, at the same angle every time. I don't know if this is the norm, just my limited experience.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have known two children who have tourettes. Neither had a problem with vocal outbursts, but both had facial tic's, and unvoluntary head movement. What is distinctive about this, is that the movements were always the same. Tic, then quick movement of the head in the same direction, at the same angle every time. I don't know if this is the norm, just my limited experience.

Yup, the tics is what I noticed after he told me.  He also told me has outbursts at home.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I know another guy that has it but he doesn't know he has it. He ticks like there's no tomorrow but he thinks he's ADD.

And what you didnt tell him he has Tourettes? Thats one hell of a practical joke to play on someone.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
No but I had my 3rd grade teacher convinced I had it until the first parents night.

Teacher: He handles his tourette's so well.
Parents: He what?

It was fun while it lasted but I got in a weee bit of trouble.  And by weee bit I mean a lot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck No!  shit!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#15]
One of my best friends from high school had a mild case. His medication normally worked, but every now and then he'd have an outburst. He'd normally just have a nervous tick. Sometimes the outburts were a riot... we felt so bad snickering... especially since he had no idea it was happening.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I think Tourettes is a bunch of BS.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think Tourettes is a bunch of BS.

I think you're a moron.

I've seen it, it's real.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Had a neighbor years ago that had it.  He used to go for walks every morning at the exact time I was leaving for work.  He'd say "hi" and follow it with whatever the cuss word of the day was.

"Hi.....ASSHOLE!!" You know, I hear that a lot. I guess I know a lot of people with Tourrettes.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Had a neighbor years ago that had it.  He used to go for walks every morning at the exact time I was leaving for work.  He'd say "hi" and follow it with whatever the cuss word of the day was.

Sounds interesting.. was it just strange or what?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#23]
How about some of the people in this thread:

Linky

CW
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I knew one guy back in high school.  He's a drummer in a death metal band, so i guess it worked out in his favor.  Can you think of a better job for someone with TS?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#25]
While the form of Tourettes that cause outbursts of obscenities exists, it's extremely rare.  For the most part, people with Tourettes only have ticks or other slightly noticeable involuntary movements.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I have it. The funny thing is it only shows at work.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#27]
BALL LICKER!!  FUCK!!  GO suck one ump!!

IBTL
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a good friend that works in Circuit City in Ponitac.

He is Chinese, and has tourettes! This guy is cool as hell!!!!

He kind of barks. and has a twich.

I've known him for years and is still a very good friend.

He can't go to movies, and people always ask "what wrong with you"

I've got in quite a few fights with people over his tourettes.
Some people can be Assholes about it! Like at bars or golf cources.

It sucks cause he is such a great guy, but wherever he goes someone always has got to be a dick about it.

I'm so use to it that I don't even hear it anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#29]
one of my CS teachers had it. rarely swore, mainly made weird laugh sounds and some facial twitches.
it'd be funny when someone would hand in their test and he'd take it and laugh
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:13:09 AM EDT
[#30]
One of my friends has it. It is mostly under control, but growing up for him was hell.

His parents were religious and didn't know about Tourette so they would tie him to chairs to make him stop. I believe they thought he was possesed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#31]
These are pretty interesting answers (plus, some of you guys didn't let me down with your sensitive appreciation of this disease  ). I guess sometimes it's hard to believe a person could go through life and never meeet anyone that has that malady, but either I haven't, or I did and the person was medicated and under control. This one has to really provide some challenges in the area of "relationship bilding."
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Shit , just watch DEADWOOD on HBO, everyone on that show has tourettes.  Cocksucker seems to be the favorite word, with fucker, whore and bitch closely behind.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#33]
There's a character in the original Transformers cartoon with Tourrette's. I forget his name, but he turns into a little red tank. "I ZAP! have to BOOM! tell you about BLOOIE! the KAPOW! evil plan before CRUNCH! it gets BANG! implemented!"

The only explanation I've ever heard for his odd behavior was that he watched too many Adam West Batman episodes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I know a soldier in Iraq with it, most people have it very mild and only have a tic of some kind, it also can come with excrutiating headaches, no so funny huh.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#35]
The chick on Duce Bigalo!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#36]
My wife's uncle has it. No outbursts just the nervous tick. It certinly hasen't  made him any less successful. He is a self made multi millionaire
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Philadelphia Phillies had an outfielder named Eisenriech who was first chased out of baseball, Oakland I think, by his teammates.  Went on meds and had a good career with the Phillies.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I work with a guy who I think has something like tourettes. He's been diagnosed with compulsive stress disorder, He will literally punch himself in the head and face, and scratch patches of hair out of his head.  He' gets nervous and starts to sweat profusely and then either starts to punch himself in the face or side of the head or his forearms.  He also yells and makes loud weezing sounds and barks loudly. He mostly does this when he thinks he's not being observed but he'll be driving a forklift and be punching himself as you see him drive by.  He also goes to the restroom and spends 20 minutes in there a few times a day, I figure he's beating himself up in there also.  When he is punching himself these aren't light taps but full-power uppercuts. He is a big guy about 6ft and weighs about 280.  I have asked him about it and he tells me that he realizes he's doing it but he can't stop it or help himself.  He is supposed to be on meds but I beleive he skips them most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Yep, I knew one fellow.  He was a homeless dude too.  BTW, there's a Tourettes Syndrome HQ of some sort in Gettysburg, PA.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
While the form of Tourettes that cause outbursts of obscenities exists, it's extremely rare.  For the most part, people with Tourettes only have ticks or other slightly noticeable involuntary movements.

Why is it obscenties that are shouted out?  What if the person has never heard any of these obscenities, do they still shout them out?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#41]
There was a character on the old Andy Griffith Show (Mayberry) that portrayed Tourette Syndrome.

As a child I remember a classmate that had some involuntary shrugs, grunts facial tics, but no verbal outbursts.

People used to tell a person suffering from Tourette, "Just don't do that, stop it!"  But there is no way he can do that.  It is a momentary "short circuit", so to speak, involuntary.

It's not a problem if YOU don't make it a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top