Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 7:42:18 PM EDT
WTF IS A DOMO-KUN!?!?! I have been wracking my mind all day for this answer....

Ben
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Google is your friend

"Domo" in this case appears to mean more of something (usually to stress "thank you," "excuse me," etc), implying increased politeness. "kun" is used as "Mr." or "Ms." for "younger people or colleagues". He acquired his name in the second episode, when Usajii turns on the TV for him and an announcer says "Domo konnichiwa" ("very much hello").
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It kills kittens when you
jerk off.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Ben
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Here you go....
Who/What is Domo-kun?
Domo-kun is a small brown open-mouthed monster hatched from an egg who lives with a wise old rabbit underground. He really, really likes TV and also enjoys rocking out to Guitar Wolf. Domo-kun is the mascot of NHK's BS2 (a satellite channel; he also appears on BS1). NHK has been producing a series of Domo-kun stop-motion vignettes that exude personal charm and warmth. There is also a wide variety of Domo-kun-related merchandise available, some of which is difficult/impossible to find in the US.

Actually, Domois an adjective used in conjunction with Arigato (thanks) to infer a higher level of thanks.  I.E. Thank you very much=Domo Arigato.  (Please, no Mr. roboto jokes).  It is also used by itself to be a quick thanks.  

Domo=thanks
arigato=thank you
Domo arigato=thank you very much.

Kun is a lower level of title.
There are 3 levels in japanese.

Kun- on a freindly level
San-Mr or Mrs
Sama-sir or mam type used for superiors.

For example....Mr. jones, to his friends would be Jones kun
to business associates it would be Jones San
and to extreme inferiors it would be Jones Sama....

That is the linguistic form of the name....Therefor, Domo Kun would be buddy thanks.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top