BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 7:21:41 PM EDT
Well, that explains a lot.

biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050107/nyf138_1.html

Kofi Annan Rated Most Highly Trusted Leader by Europeans, But Not by Americans

Friday January 7, 4:20 pm ET

ROCHESTER, N.Y., Jan. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan has been highly visible in the news lately surrounding discussion about his strained relations with the Bush administration, and even calls for his resignation by some Republican leaders. A Harris Poll shows that public attitudes toward Kofi Annan are very different -- and far more positive -- in Europe than they are in the United States.

In a recent Harris Interactive® survey about the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) conducted in the United States and in three large European countries, Kofi Annan topped the list as the person most trusted to provide information about these goals in both France and Germany. In Great Britain he tied for first place with rock star and philanthropist Bob Geldof. But in the United States Kofi Annan was eleventh on the list with George Bush, Jimmy Carter and Oprah Winfrey the people trusted most by the largest numbers of Americans to provide information about the Millennium Goals.

These are the results of a four-nation survey of adults conducted by Harris Interactive based on 22,166 interviews in the United States, 7,373 in Great Britain, 6,947 in Germany, and 3,607 in France. The surveys, which were conducted online between June 17 and July 2, 2004, in Great Britain, Germany and France, and between August 18 and September 8, 2004 in the United States, were designed to be representative of all adults in each country.

These significant differences are another example of the wide attitudinal divide between Europe and the United States, whether on Iraq, global warming and the Kyoto treaty or on the role of the United Nations.

In the United States, no single leader was trusted most by more than the 23 percent who mentioned George Bush. Other leaders chosen as most trusted by more than 10 percent of the general public were Jimmy Carter (17%), Oprah Winfrey (16%), Tom Brokaw (14%), and Colin Powell (13%).

In the United Kingdom, Kofi Annan topped the list along with Bob Geldof (each with 30%), followed by Nelson Mandela (24%), Tony Blair (15%), Prince Charles (15%) and the Dalai Lama (10%).

In France, Kofi Annan was chosen by 35 percent, followed by Jacques Chirac (27%), the Dalai Lama (24%), Nelson Mandela (24%), and Pope John Paul II (11%).

In Germany, fully 43 percent chose Kofi Annan (the largest endorsement for any leader among the four countries). He was followed by Nelson Mandela (31%), Gerhard Schroeder (25%), the Dalai Lama (18%), Mikhail Gorbachev (12%), and Horst Koehler (11%).

It is interesting that more than 10 percent in all three European countries chose not only Kofi Annan but also Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama, neither of whom were chosen by many Americans.

(more at the link above)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember there mostly muslims
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]
He's better than the French and Spanish, he's an "honest" crook.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you hear that?

It sounded odly like Western Civilization just died...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Other leaders chosen as most trusted by more than 10 percent of the general public were Jimmy Carter (17%), Oprah Winfrey (16%), Tom Brokaw (14%)

Leaders?

Turn off the TV America.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#8]
What? No Arafat mention?  Surely Terrorists are allowed on the list... they mentioned Mandela, after all.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:43:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Kofi ran a hell of a gravy train for the Euro-trash globalists.  I can understand it without agreeing with it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Too Hitler, Stalin, and Hussein weren't on the list. I bet they'd be pretty popular too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Need I state the obvious?

Thay love him because he is Black.

Just like Colin Powell.

Nowadays that is enough.

Its part of the Liberal Mental Disease...self-hating and a secret longing for suicide, death and extinction.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I don't trust the Europeans so I guess that makes us even.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I think Kofi Annan is doing a hell of a job, leave him alone!
(Now, how much of that "Oil for Food" money did I get for that endorsement there, Kofi?)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't trust Kofi Annan to run a 7-11 for a month.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Out of all the countries mentioned, how many come running to either A) the  US or B) the UN when they need something?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wouldn't trust Kofi Annan to run a 7-11 for a month.

You have too much confidence.  I wouldn't trust him to guard a pile of trash without supervision.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#19]
That's a fucking joke!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Coffee Can is NOT trusted by this European.
I've found more honesty in crack junkies.

Most of the people in my social circle are of the same opionion, and I have a hard time believing those polls. I mean.. who the hell are they asking, kindergarteners?

"This is a very nice man, and you should like him. Now, do you?"

Perhaps this is a more Norwegian thing than Euro, as most Norwegians distrust/dislike authority.
Indepence and selfsuffiency are highly valued traits here. Almost to the point that weakness is despised.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Go Norway!

Maybe you can invade Europe and straighten them out!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#22]
hahahahha, well.............lol i dont even have to make a joke, Europe is a joke already.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top