Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 5:15:44 PM EDT
Just curious?
I have heard some people who look at strobe lights could have a seizure.  Why?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
While I couldn't tell you the actual process in the brain, lots of things seem to overstimulate the brain & can cause seizures. Really jerky/flashy camera work (like is often used in war movies), some video games, strobe lights, etc. can all cause that sort of reaction.

It doesn't always cause a seizure but will often make an epileptic dizzy or slightly disoriented.

BTW, my wife is epileptic, so if you have any questions about it let me know.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
epilepsy is when the messages from the eyes are not properly deciphered by the brain. And a blinking bright light is a lot of information to unscramble.

Just look how hard it is for a normal person to walk around in a room with a strobe light.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
It's true, I saw it on that bio-documentry The Andromeda Strain.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Can also cause classic migranes in some cases.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]
It's true, but this phenomenom is frequency dependent.  Looking through the propellor of an airplane running at low rpm can cause the same problem.  I have also seen some school buses and stop lights with strobes at about the right frequency to cause a seizure.

Don't look at the pretty lights, no matter the source!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Pulsing light can trigger a seizure.

On those antique aircraft that had propellers (like on boats)

pilots flying west into a low sun would be over come by the

light pulsing through those propeller thingies.

Like they shoulda had jets ya know!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Don't look at the pretty lights, no matter the source!

Now is this advice for everybody or only epileptic?   Will it cause non-epileptic to become epileptic?
The reason I ask is ,  I just was out in the shop fixing a wiring problem on my strobe light that's mountd on my pick-up truck.  So I turned it on tonight and was watching it a while.  And then it dawned on me, someone telling me sometime in the past that watching a strobe  would give some people seizures.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been getting migraines for about 20 yrs now and I can tell you if I were to stare at strobes, flashers such as emergency vehicles etc it will give me a migraine in less than 5 minutes.  Triggers something in the brain.  Im ok around them as long as I don't look directly at them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#9]
dieselman, epilepsy is essentially abnormal electrical discharges in the brain.  a small percentage of epileptics are photosensitive, and are triggered by strobe light type flashes.  You can't become epileptic from that, but there are some undiagnosed epileptics (very, very rare) who have been triggered by strobes, and subsequenly diagnosed, usually kids.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Not just classic migraine, but any type migraine can be set off. So can vestibular disorders such as menieres disease.
here's the article that may answer your questions...

vgstrategies.about.com/library/weekly/aa040797.htm

Joyce
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#12]
A paramedic told me about this when they started using strobe lights on the fire trucks.  He said, some strobe lights are the same frequency of the brain.  They will mess you up.  The strobes on emergency vehicles are suppose to be safe.  

I was talking to a suspect and had the strobes on my cruiser activated.  The guy was staring at the strobes, "zoned out".  I turned em off and he came back to life.  Turned em on and he zoned out again.    

I flipped em on and off a few times.  Every time I turned em on he zoned out.    

It was rather amusing.  He couldn't keep his eyes off them when they were on.      

Legal disclaimer:  No zoned out people were injured during this strobe test.  

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't explain why but it is known to trigger seizures in people prone to have seizures.

Interesting info about the migraines.  Blinking or flickering lights give me a migraine; I thought it was just me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
dieselman, epilepsy is essentially abnormal electrical discharges in the brain.  a small percentage of epileptics are photosensitive, and are triggered by strobe light type flashes.  You can't become epileptic from that, but there are some undiagnosed epileptics (very, very rare) who have been triggered by strobes, and subsequenly diagnosed, usually kids.  

Correct.  Those seizures induced by strobes are most commonly temporal lobe seizures.  The seizure focus (area of abn electrical activity) is located in the temporal lobe, on the lower front part of your brain--think of your temple on your head.  TL seizures are usually partial seizures, which means the person will not have the total body shaking, tongue biting, flopping like a tuna on the dock activity; but rather will just stare into space, blink, smack their lips, or some other type of mild neurologic event.  They then wake up and have no memory of it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#15]
It's only true if you're Japanese.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#16]
this is why all fire alarm systems where you can see more than on strobe at a time have to be synched (temporal code 3)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#17]
As I recall, the affect was first documented in WWII when they were experiementing with putting strobe lights on tanks so that during night attacks enemy gunners couldn't accurately get range/position.  It works very well for that but they also found that teh proper freq can knock people out and can sometimes cause nausea.  Sound can also be used to cause similar effects.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
epilepsy is when the messages from the eyes are not properly deciphered by the brain. And a blinking bright light is a lot of information to unscramble.

Just look how hard it is for a normal person to walk around in a room with a strobe light.

No offense, but that is absolutely false.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Now that one is right on the mark!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]
will Maddog 20/20 give you seizures?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
teh proper freq can knock people out and can sometimes cause nausea.

"teh proper freq"  is 8 hertz.

S
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top