Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 4:55:07 PM EDT
Omaha Marine Dies Same Day His Son Is Born

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- A 23-year-old Omaha Marine died while fighting in Iraq, the same day he became a father, family members said Tuesday.

Shane Kielion's son was born at about 10 a.m. Monday and Kielion died just hours later, said his aunt Karma Matthews.

Matthews said Kielion never found out he had become a dad.

Kielion, who was on his second tour in Iraq, graduated from Omaha South High School in 1999 and married his high school sweetheart, April, the mother of his new baby.

His former teachers and coaches said he was the quarterback of the football team and a role model.

Football coach Jay Ball said when Kielion came to visit in August, he bragged about his soon-to-be family.

"He was excited about his baby on the way and he always told me how beautiful his wife was," Ball told KM3 News in Omaha.

Ball said Kielion's memory will still be there to inspire his new son.

The family was not immediately giving interviews about Kielion's death.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
This happened a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This happened a couple of weeks ago.

oh, it was just posted on another board with no date. my bad.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for posting it, I missed it.

Prayers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#5]
tragic semper fi.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top