Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/7/2005 9:01:06 AM EDT
All news stations are on storm watch

California is getting another dose of wild weather, Jennifer Davis reports.
Calif. Braces For More Wild Weather

Harsh Winds, Heavy Rains And Snow In The Forecast

Jan 7, 2005 9:10 am US/Pacific
(AP) The West Coast was bracing for even more wintry weather. Two winter storms were expected to hit California in the coming days. Forecasters warn that the state is in store for four days of harsh winds and heavy rain and snow.

"The entire state of California is pretty much under the gun for the next three or four days," Duane Dykema, a forecaster with the National Weather Service in Monterey, said Thursday.

Dykema warns people to be wary of traveling this weekend especially in the mountains.

He also warns the rain and snow could cause flooding and delay flights.

It's believed the two storms could bring up to 20 inches of rain to some areas and between three and five feet of snow to the Sierra Mountains. Also, winds of up to 23 miles-per-hour could cause 17-foot waves around San Francisco.

Meanwhile, the deadly storm that badgered the Midwest this week with blackouts, heavy snowfall and bone-chilling temperatures ventured into the Northeast on Thursday, swelling rivers and creeks and coating highways with dangerous layers of ice.

As the storm reached the East Coast, a foot of snow fell around southern New York, and parts of the Hudson Valley saw up to eight inches of snow before sleet and freezing rain arrived. Police worked overtime to handle hundreds of accidents.

The messy roads caused by the storm have been blamed in at least 17 traffic deaths, including nine in Oklahoma, this week as the storm moved eastward. Several other people have been killed by carbon monoxide poisoning and while shoveling snow.

Anne Panzica, 27, spent nearly three hours driving from her home in Boston to Connecticut for work, a trip that might usually take half that long. Midway through the drive, she ran out of wiper fluid, but she kept her windshield clear by following trucks that sprayed slush onto it.

"Once I hit Connecticut, it was really rough," Panzica said.

Chicago had all 262 of its snow trucks working Thursday to keep roads clear. O'Hare International Airport, which had almost 10 inches of snow, saw 300 canceled flights, on top of 1,000 that were grounded the day before. Airports in Boston and New York also had delays.

Until now, Wisconsin's Wilmot Mountain had used artificial snow to stay open, but president and CEO Diane Reese expected the natural variety to boost business by at least 30 percent. "If they see it, they will come," Reese said.

The Green Bay Packers, meanwhile, put out a call to hire as many as 300 people to shovel out Lambeau Field before the team's Sunday playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings.

Ice and falling tree limbs downed power lines around the region. Hundreds of thousands of people were without power in the Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana and Kansas.

Jim Jensen, who lost power in Bellefontaine, Ohio, said ice was about 2 inches thick on bushes "and everything you can see."

"The trees around us — we can hear them snapping and popping. It's not safe out walking around," said Jensen.

The storm came with bone-chilling cold in some areas, with temperatures falling to 36 below zero in Big Fork, Minn. But warming temperatures from Illinois into Michigan and Pennsylvania were changing freezing rain into showers Thursday.

Flood warnings stretched from Missouri into Pennsylvania, and at least 16 Ohio families had to be ferried to safety by boat.

Doug Neal, of Columbus, said his neighbors near a quiet bend in Big Walnut Creek were leaving their homes in rowboats and rafts.

"No one has seen the water this high," he said as water crept toward the foundation of his home. "It's normally the most beautiful, tranquil — which is why we live here. But Mother Nature has sure changed that."

On the rising Ohio River, 16 coal barges docked at an Ohio power plant broke free Thursday, and four went over a dam and drifted toward Wheeling, W.Va., forcing bridges in that area to close for hours, the Coast Guard said. Twenty-five coal barges in all broke loose on the West Virginia section of the Ohio River.

The river was expected to rise to almost 7 feet above flood stage in Wheeling by Friday morning.

Officials in and around Allegheny, Pa., spent much of the day responding to mudslides and flooded basements and roads in low lying areas.

Searches continued Thursday for a married couple who had been in a car that was found washed into a creek in Missouri, and a pair of 20-year-olds whose pickup was discovered stuck in the snow in Nebraska on Wednesday. Nebraska officials found a body partially buried in snow that is believed to be one of the victims.

"It's a rural area," sheriff's Lt. Greg London said Thursday. "You either live out there or you're lost."
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh, that's just great. I have a Palma match in San Diego on Saturday . . .
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
"The entire state of California is pretty much under the gun for the next three or four days

I find this to be somewhat of an ironic statement.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The funny thing is, I posted a thread here a few days ago about this same storm system and some people just blew it off. I bet the next time they'll listen to ol' Charging_Handle when he says rough weather is inbound!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#4]
And it's all headed our way once it's done with Cali.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#5]
w00h00!

I was up at mt high on monday, there was 8-10" of powder, and 4" more fell while I was up there, then went up to bear mt on wed, and then back to mt high yesterday, the conditions at the resorts is PHENOMINAL and this storm is gonna make for some nice deep powder.. dry powder even!

these photos are from wed... on the way to big bear.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Fucking Stormwatch.  Geez, give me a break.  A little fricken water when we really need it and everyone freaks out.  We've been in a drought since God knows when.  It's nice to have a season for a change.  My parents have a house in Big Bear right on the lake, or atleast it used to be.  The lake is down like 15ft or so and the fricken ski resorts keep draining it to make more snow.  Then the ski resorts have the nerve to play commercials saying how they have this nice big lake to drain water from and make snow with and when it melts, it goes right back into the lake. BS! It soaks into the ground and/or evaporates you dumbasses!  Before, I could walk 20 feet out my back door and throw a fishing line in the water.  Now I have to walk about 300yds AND I can walk across the lake by their house and UP the boat ramp on the other side.  WE NEED THE RAIN YOU MEDIA ASSHATS!  If people would just prepare a little better...oh wait, this is california, never mind.  AND LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IN THE RAIN DAMNIT!  Just because there is a drop of water on your windshield doesn't mean you can slow down to 45mph in the carpool lane.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fucking Stormwatch.  Geez, give me a break.  A little fricken water when we really need it and everyone freaks out.  We've been in a drought since God knows when.  It's nice to have a season for a change.  My parents have a house in Big Bear right on the lake, or atleast it used to be.  The lake is down like 15ft or so and the fricken ski resorts keep draining it to make more snow.  Then the ski resorts have the nerve to play commercials saying how they have this nice big lake to drain water from and make snow with and when it melts, it goes right back into the lake. BS! It soaks into the ground and/or evaporates you dumbasses!  Before, I could walk 20 feet out my back door and throw a fishing line in the water.  Now I have to walk about 300yds AND I can walk across the lake by their house and UP the boat ramp on the other side.  WE NEED THE RAIN YOU MEDIA ASSHATS!  If people would just prepare a little better...oh wait, this is california, never mind.  AND LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IN THE RAIN DAMNIT!  Just because there is a drop of water on your windshield doesn't mean you can slow down to 45mph in the carpool lane.

+1
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Sydwaiz: The purpose of the news media is to sell advertisements, be it electronic or print. Hyping this BS drives the sheeple up the walls. This stuff is for whiners, they whine when is not enough rain/snow, and they whine when there is too much rain/snow.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#9]
i hope it sinks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I felt this coming 2 days ago...and yes, it will be a big one.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Fucking Stormwatch.  Geez, give me a break.  A little fricken water when we really need it and everyone freaks out.  We've been in a drought since God knows when.

The brough is a myth.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#13]
What will the children do?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#14]
pattymcn: As far I can see, according to most of the weather models on the various network TV stations, the storm fronts are coming from the north, and one front is colliding with some warm moist air from the south, which is why we are getting all of these warnings of heavy rains & snows for Kali-fornia.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't take all of the rain, we need some more around here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
the storm fronts are coming from the north, and one front is colliding with some warm moist air from the south, which is why we are getting all of these warnings of heavy rains & snows for Kali-fornia.

Excellent! The perfect storm
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Northern Kali is about to get hit again too.  The rain is great and needed.  It's the high winds sending small children, animals, and Ford Focuses blowing down the street that causes the problems.

ETA:I do not own a ford focus.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#19]
ignore me I know nothing
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#20]
may it destroy the liberal areas
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Let it come. We need it.

I thought I was gonna get an opportunity to go play in the snow this weekend (in Flagstaff) but it looks like I'm gonna have to work.

Next weekend, without fail.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Excellent! The perfect storm

that comment was so funny.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
pattymcn: As far I can see, according to most of the weather models on the various network TV stations, the storm fronts are coming from the north, and one front is colliding with some warm moist air from the south, which is why we are getting all of these warnings of heavy rains & snows for Kali-fornia.

Weird - it was colder than a witches you know what in January yesterday here but today it's warmed up.  [it's about 35 anyway].  Let it snow.  I'm sick of this gray crap!

Patty

Yeah, us to in So. Kalif., it's warmed up about 5ºF, because of the warm air from the south.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#26]
StormWatch 2004 Update - wow... uhmm.. lots of... well.. not much of anything happening here in Huntington Beach, Fritz. Its not a storm until it floods my street like last time.

-d
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Those west coast storms are killer. Look at the damage from the last storm that blew through here.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=33995

Will your insurance cover that?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I lived in Santa Clara for three years.

The newscasters "A Storm is coming, expect winds and rain"

Then I'd wait for the sound of thunder, strong rain slamming on the roof and.....in three years we had one storm with some wind.

A "storm" in California is the kind of weather that doesn't even make us stop playing golf in Houston.

Just cracks me up.

I know, I know this one is a real storm....but, still I'll bet there were no tornadoes or tropical storm strength winds....

Well, thank CHrist I moved back to Texas.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#30]
... It appears the worst is over. Understand it's supposed to rain here fro the next three days straight - unusual.

... I got caught in a snowstorm in CA a week ago today

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
... It appears the worst is over. Understand it's supposed to rain here fro the next three days straight - unusual.

www.intellicast.com/WeatherImages/Radar/prc+bgwv.gif

members.cox.net/winston_wolf/icy.jpg

where is that second photo from?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.intellicast.com/WeatherImages/Radar/prc+bgwv.gif

members.cox.net/winston_wolf/icy.jpg

looks like the backside of 18
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
w00h00!

I was up at mt high on monday, there was 8-10" of powder, and 4" more fell while I was up there, then went up to bear mt on wed, and then back to mt high yesterday, the conditions at the resorts is PHENOMINAL and this storm is gonna make for some nice deep powder.. dry powder even!

these photos are from wed... on the way to big bear.
000buck.d2g.com/boarding/0511/cold-01.jpg

000buck.d2g.com/boarding/0511/onyx-01s.jpg

mountain high?  man that brings back memories, I lived in wrightwood for a long time

We probably crossed paths. I had a place up on Juniper from 94 til 98 or so..

I miss it...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#34]
CA pussies!  You havent had snow or cold until you have experienced the Dakotas or Montana or any of the northern states.  Even in the south there is weather that is much worse. We went on a trip through New Mexico. A cop at a rest stop said to drive slow ahead.  We were like, right.  It was like a blanket.  One minute sunny and 70 degrees, next we were up to our car window in snow and it was 20 degrees.  It was hell on earth.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

... Bingo!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Those west coast storms are killer. Look at the damage from the last storm that blew through here.

OH DEAR GOD!   I hope no one was hurt!  Did you get through it okay?  How long did it take to "re-build"?

Mark...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Let me rephrase that, the CA people in LA and San Fran.  When I think of CA those are the 2 places that come to mind because those are the 2 main places that I go to in CA.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

... Bingo!

That's what I thought too. The pucker factor goes up when that road is dry, much less rain, snow and ice. No guard rails in some places. You could drive off the side of a mountain and not be found for months.

SAME LOL  i love driving the mtns.. all 4 ways up to big bear.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#42]
What part of the Rocky Mountains are in California?

Quoted:

Quoted:
CA pussies!  You havent had snow or cold until you have experienced the Dakotas or Montana or any of the northern states.  Even in the south there is weather that is much worse. We went on a trip through New Mexico. A cop at a rest stop said to drive slow ahead.  We were like, right.  It was like a blanket.  One minute sunny and 70 degrees, next we were up to our car window in snow and it was 20 degrees.  It was hell on earth.  

Huh? Hey brainiac, ever heard of the High Sierras? Mount Whitney? The Rocky Mountains? Tahoe? Yosemite?

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
StormWatch 2004 Update - wow... uhmm.. lots of... well.. not much of anything happening here in Huntington Beach, Fritz. Its not a storm until it floods my street like last time.

-d

how 'bout now?  are you close enough to sand bag?  I am in mid orange county and it is raining pretty good up here
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

you calling people pussies strikes me as funny ...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#46]
The biggest problem with the rain around here is our woosie dog who doesnt want to go outside when it rains....she will stand at the door until you actually throw her out...
I think the last storm she went 2 days without peeing.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Years ago I was in Irvine for some training, with mostly locals.  There was a storm watch then, and it was raining a little.  When we assembled in the classroom, the locals started discussing how bad it was.  I chimed in with honesty and said "Wow, when do they expect it to arrive?"  Everyone simply turned to me with a 'duh!' look.  The mighty storm was already upon us...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#48]

It's believed the two storms could bring up to 20 inches of rain to some areas and between three and five feet of snow to the Sierra Mountains. Also, winds of up to 23 miles-per-hour could cause 17-foot waves around San Francisco.

I'd guess the winds will be considerably higher to produce 17 foot waves, maybe in the 60-80 knot range.  Right now in SoCal it is blowing in the 30+ range...and raining steadily.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#49]
30 mph winds are a WEAK Santa Ana wind.
Yes, I call it the Santa Ana winds, what about it.

Quoted:

I'd guess the winds will be considerably higher to produce 17 foot waves, maybe in the 60-80 knot range.  Right now in SoCal it is blowing in the 30+ range...and raining steadily.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

you calling people pussies strikes me as funny ...

And I know them very well!  LOL!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top