Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2005 10:31:30 PM EDT
Don't know why but I've had a desire to drive it from start to finish. Next summer I may take the trip. Is it  as cool as I think it may be? Or is it just another road?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I find all driving very boring, I see it as something I got to do and avoid what of it I can.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you know how many people mysteriously died driving on Route 66?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
In 1960. I doubt it is anything like it was then.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In 1960. I doubt it is anything like it was then.

Thats the image I picture, I'm sure it isn't the same.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much the whole way from MO.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It's probably changed a lot, not as scenic now
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Isnt atleast part of RT, 66 not the origal Rt 66?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#8]
No, but does Route 666 count?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:52:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:55:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep, lots of it is gone I have ridden bits and pieces here and there but if you really want to do it you will have to break some tresspass laws and need a GPS and be real savy, there are books out on the topic sorry no link.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:56:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I find all driving very boring, I see it as something I got to do and avoid what of it I can.

In Ga.? you need a MC!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I live less than 100 yards from 66 and ya most of it here is new the old 66 is basically torn up and what isnt and is still used isnt maintained.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I live a few blocks from it.  Through my town it is a 4 lane blvd.  Just another street with 66 placards plastered on it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:59:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I do not know why, but Route 66 has always interested me. When my children arel old enough to either stay with Grandma for a few weeks or endure the trip, my wife and I would like to drive it from end-to-end.

I found a great site, with directions on how to make the trip. Historic 66 Very interesting site, with pictures, stories, and forums.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#15]

ROUTE 66
(Troup)

Well if you ever plan to motor west
Just take my way that's the highway that's the best
Get your kicks on Route 66

Well it winds from Chicago to L.A.
More than 2000 miles all the way

Well goes from St. Louie down to Missouri
Oklahoma City looks oh so pretty
You'll see Amarillo and Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino

Would you get hip to this kindly tip
And go take that California trip

Well goes from St. Louie down to Missouri
Oklahoma city looks oh so pretty
You'll see Amarillo and Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino

Would you get hip to this kindly tip
And go take that California trip
Get your kicks on Route 66...

www.wemweb.com/index.shtml
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Driven parts of it, out west.  
Frankly, what interests me more is driving down the Pacific Coast Highway...which we are going to do, partway, this summer.  Flying to Seattle then driving down to Redwood National Park in California.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#17]
did it in the late '60s in a VW bus with 2 friends on a coast-to-coast trip, though I don't remember a lot about the trip.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
did it in the late '60s in a VW bus with 2 friends on a coast-to-coast trip, though I don't remember a lot about the trip.

Ahhhh. it stars/ends in Chicago, sure that was not Lake Michigan?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
No, but does Route 666 count?

I've driven on both.

There is a route 666 in New Mexico.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]
You can drive on close to 95% of the original in CA.  

Although there are some questions on which streets it really followed in the immediate Los Angeles area, west of Monrovia/Duarte, Huntington Dr to Foothill to Colorado and then the route from Pasadena into Los Angeles.   Different sources show different route, but all the streets and the Pasadena Fwy are there. It's all available from Duarte to San Bernardino It's almost all available from Berdoo to Needles.  A small gap in Devore where the I-15 crosses and then allthe way to CA-138 and then covered by the current I-15 to the top of Cajon Pass,  and then it's almost all there until you get to the border.  IIRC, it's almost all available in AZ, although there may be a few small interuptions by I-40

Some of the landmarks in CA urban areas are still there,  A Tepee Motel in San Bernardino, urban sprawl has caught up west of there.  The problem with east of Victorville is all of the small gas stops are gone until you get.  Barstow retains a very significant 66 character as it is about the only outpost of "civilization" before you get to Vegas on 15 or Needles on 40.  East of Barstow, you need to make sure you keep gassed up at the I-40 stations where 40 and 66 come together because you could have a stretch of about 120 miles with no gas stations sticking to the old road.

I hope you like desert because from Victorville to Amarillo that's about all you will see.  I-40 and the dieselization and improvements of the Santa Fe RR killed off a lot of the smaller towns/wide spots in the road.  A lot of those "towns" served both the RR  and 66 as water and fuel stops, and once they weren't needed they dryed up.

It's a neat drive, with a lot of other stuff to see, Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Las Vegas and Hoover Dam aren't all that far off the 66 route.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I've always wanted to do that.

Another thin is to drive US 250, for some odd reason.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Driving 8 miles of it every day from the Washington Beltway to the Fairfax County Parkway (7100) in enough of a pain in the ass thank you very much.

Its interstate 66.  I don't think its the one your talking about.  But it IS 66.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Driven parts of it, out west.  
Frankly, what interests me more is driving down the Pacific Coast Highway...which we are going to do, partway, this summer.  Flying to Seattle then driving down to Redwood National Park in California.

That's a great piece of road  I'm on it two or three times a week (Usually between Astoria and North Bend) and I never get bored of the drive.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to drive 66 all the time from Wellston to the Edmund Exit,but that basterd is very narrow and dangerous at best!   And Oklahoma has the worst roads I have ever seen since my year in Korea!

Oklahoma pot hole roads(and I'm talking about the I-40 cross town right in front of brick town) to even bohunk Eqyip are the worst car front end breaking,tyrod twisting piece of shit hyways ever devised!!!  So unless you are in a twenty ton bridge truck or a Hummvee you would be better off flying over Oklahoma!

And I'm being kind!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I want to drive all of US 1

Runs from Miami FL to Copper Harbor MI.

Mostly because I love the Copper Harbor area and it'd be another excuse to spend time up there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I’d like to drive whatever’s left of Route 66 one of these days.  I just wonder how much is left.

In the 1980’s and 90’s, I made many road trips between Washington DC and Brunswick, Georgia (which is along the coast) using I-95.  

I got so bored with I-95 that I started taking local roads (basically Route 1, then 301, then 17).  These were obviously the roads Northerners took when going to Florida before I-95 was built.  

These roads were virtually frozen in time since no doubt I-95 had killed them economically almost overnight.  There were old mom-and-pop motels (a la “Psycho”), old gas stations, old eateries and even a few drive-in theaters.  It was like going back to the fifties.

However, each time I made the trip, a few more of these things were gone.  On my last trip in 1999, there wasn’t much left.  

I’ve also driven Route 40 through Ohio and Indiana.  It parallels I-70 and is somewhat similar to the above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top