Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2001 6:22:14 PM EDT
I don't recognize as many here as I used to.  I think I came around in late 98 or early 99.

Hielo
Drew
McUZI
Imbroglio
ZEN (who probably still lurks!)
paul308<---BASTARD!
stubbs
lordtrader
sweep

Who else???

Balming

MOLON LABE!!!

Who's been around here a long time?
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I came around sometime in 98, always been a lurker even though I have been right active the last couple of months here.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I know I bought my 1st PC in Feb of 99, found this site a week or two after that. WOW, 1st AR in 83, 1st PC in 99. What about the old chat room? Wahn, Blitz, Same Shot
TAC
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I remember.  Wilson.  Troy.

also:

SGTar15

Stokes

Lots of others that I won't remember until I see them again.

Balming

Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I must have started snooping around in mid 96 to early 97 as I was still finishing up college part-time and used to kill time in the library browsing the forums. I definatley remember seeing Sameshot and a few of the above names. I mostly hung out in the Cleaning and reloading areas. Then I got married and had another child and things got a bit wacky. I only peeked in rarely and had various different email ID's. Finally, I made it back with my original name.
Regards,
CS
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive been a member here since late '97 or so...

Michael
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been around since late 98, not all the time, but I have been around.  Stokes was the first to give advice to me on my first ar15 shorty and he told me to get all the mags I could find because the price would fly up.  Well Stokes I now have 4 ar15's, one 20 inch and the others are shorty variants.  I purchased 2 and 2 were given to me by family members (they are in the safe and never fired).  I have more mags than I can count.

I can now fire a round from 100yds with either shorty and actually call my shot. Only took about 2000rds to get to that point.

Any way that is my timeline intro. story to ar15.com.

Also, Balming thanks for the great wedding gifts.  All framed pics are in the gun room (new house, bigger, and wife gave me my own room).

thanks to all, esp. Stokes
Iso
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in late 97 or early 98, can't remember.
SCratch
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I was a long-time lurker on the other board.  I must of lurked for about 1.5 years to 2 full years back then.  Hey, I sure remember that guy,ZEN.  I remember the "lets get Zen" thread by EdAvilaSr.  Ha Ha Those were some memories.  Also DiverDown (sp?)(moderator) comes to mind and there were a lot others. I must of read most of DaMan's posting back then.  It seems like he rarely ever posted in the GD forum.  Or maybe he does not post in that forum at all and I just see his handle in the magazine forum nowdays.  Learned alot about mags from that guy!  Neat guy that DaMan. Sure can't forget the whirlwind "events" with that member, Paul308.  What a bottom-feeder jerk!  I believe many people put their reps on the line for him.  I remember Imbrog|io when I just started shaving.  j/k  [:)]  There were many, many other topics and postings written by many other members I used to read when I had more time in my life.  Too many members to list here.

My lurker days were kinda fun back then because I could move around without anybody noticing my presence and nobody knew you existed if you posted very little or not at all.  Cool!   Kinda like a cyber ninja!  I see you, but YOU don't see me!  

(Edited because I'm beginning to wonder if I went back even further with my lurking years on the other AR board because I read somewhere today that ZEN has not posted in 18 months, so that means that I must of lurked about three years back because I was reading his postings way before then.  Also, I remember posting on other sites while lurking on AR15.com and that was years ago.  Oh, well, not really sure.  Maybe I can't remember because I'm just beat from working out so much!)  

[b]-RoadDog[/b]
 [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/scooby1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Fall of '98 as Flat Topper.  Sold all of my flat Tops except an AR10 and a KKF .22LR upper, so I changed to BigGuns.  It was hard to keep up with a lot of the name changes, too!

-Troy
(The one in the Great State of Florida)
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Late in 1998 I think.
I think GovtThug came in about the same time IIRC. Too bad my memory really sucks hind tit.

And then there was curio bob. [:o)]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I was on the mailing list from early `97 until mid `98 and then just got on this board last fall.  I have no idea what user name I used to use though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been here a while too.
I'm not sure how long ago I first joined, but it was when [b]22sniper[/b] was first starting as moderator.
What ever happened to him?? I kinda miss the nonstop pictures of his(mom's) MK2, his 10/22, and his "Sweet 16". And the gun cabinet he made in woodshop.

[b]"It's not really crooked like it looks in the picture. I just had the photo in my pocket for a while before I scanned it."[/b]

That was some funny stuff...
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Came on the old board sometime in November '98.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been here for about a week now, and BOY I love it...

BTW- I know the true scoop on ZEN
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:36:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I was around back in late 97 or early 98.  I used to post as 'HK.'

Damn I miss ZEN's philosophical posting style, and the ZEN vs. CurioBob battle.  I think that is the thread that finally did him in.

GlockCop vs. Drew also comes to mind.

BTW, I actually bought some stuff from paul308 and didn't get screwed!!!

lest we forget this little guy:

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1294269&a=9597860&p=41828646[/img]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Near as I can figure, I joined for a short time in late '96(?). I think there were around 650 members.

I had just picked up a brand new AR as an impulse buy ($475!) when I went looking for one of the newly introduced H&K USP .45 compacts. I remember reading the forums and discovering my rifle was probably illegally configured, later confirmed by the user who posted as "LTC Chuck Santose" (thanks Chuck!) at the time IIRC.

I took that rifle back to the dealer and got my MAK-90 trade in returned. It was late '99 before I felt the urge to get back in the AR game again, now I am hoplessly addicted.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:26:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been around since Christmas of '98.  Damn great site !
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:56:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I was looking forward to my 3rd birthday as Halfcocked this last April.  I was Mark R before that.  How creative.

I had to change my name after thinking I knew what I was talking about and got singed.  I told someone that you could have 2 evil features on a post ban.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:08:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I think I have been here almost 3 years now.  Not really sure to be honest.  Don't post much anymore but used to be fairly active here and in the Chat room.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Yo.  Been here a long while.  Tempis fugit and all that.  Haven't been posting much of late.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I frequented as just a reader for awhile before joining in Nov. '98.  What's weird is that I only tallied about 470 post before the old board went down and in less than 6 months here I have 750 (100+ due to the LEGP though)!

I was simply 'Kevin' at the old board but when it went down it was 3-4 weeks before I found out about the new upgraded site.  By that time my old name was already taken so to hopefully be recognized I chose 'Kevin@AR15com1&2'. It sounds a little weird now but I did it because I was using only certain forums and the F/S boards frequently on the 1st board and just wanted people to know I was the same guy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#28]
First started lurking around December 1998, I think. A little before Drew and antiUSSA started fueding about giving info out over the web. The dialogue and personalities seemed to be more interesting back then. But maybe it's just me, seems I've become an old humourless bast*rd these days. I stayed away from here completely for several months, but now I'm back to occasional lurking and posting. This is still a good reference site, but still under moderated in my opinion. I think that all the extraneous BS that slips by as General Discussion really hurts this site, and severely limits it's potential. That statement alone will probably get me flamed with the usual "You're a liberal anti...blah blah blah- don't let the door hit you in the A**" reply from some high school kid telling me about his first amendment rights.  I just don't have the time or temperment for it.  Formerly "Catfish" on the old board.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep, I been here a while, even though I don't get noticed too much. I know I signed on about the same time as Kuiper. How long has the board been up? I thought it was since 97 or 98, but I see people saying its longer than that.

BMB
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I have been around since late 1999.

I have just been lurking lately since everyone seems to hate me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#31]
mid to late '99. like this board so much that i now bring my lap top into work so i can keep up with the goings ons during the day.

got married last year and that really has put a kink into the ar15 reading time. that and haveing a 13 year old step daughter is......well, interesting.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#32]
November 98 I think. As I recall Kuiper and I were the only outsiders back then. Wow has this site grown. All the good talk, friends, people I met that knew me first from this site, the Y2K thing. Wow.

MOe
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#33]
November 98 I think. As I recall Kuiper and I were the only outsiders back then. Wow has this site grown. All the good talk, friends, people I met that knew me first from this site, the Y2K thing. Wow.

Moe
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Actually, I don't remember when I first posted.  Changed my name to protect the innocent (or guilty), and so my wife didn't get smart and see what I might be buying/selling.

When did the Vollmer board close?

I started hanging on subguns.com and a couple of the other boards about then.

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I've been hanging around since either late 98 or early 99, I believe.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Been here since mid 98 or so.

People I Miss (though I am forgetting some)

ZEN
Vass
Ants (anthony silva)
And most any one else who let the whiners drive them off
Was it Ants who told the story of burying an SKS as a test for long term storage, then coming back several months later to find a mining operation that dumped millions of cubic yards of tailings on top of the site, One of the more humerous stories I have run into here.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I think I've been on board since the Summer of '98.  Zen did make for good reading!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not sure how long I've been here.
I think since late 1998.
It was close to a year before the fluffy thread.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]
"Was it Ants who told the story of burying an SKS as a test for long term storage, then coming back several months later to find a mining operation that dumped millions of cubic yards of tailings on top of the site, One of the more humerous stories I have run into here."

Elcope: Yes it was, and he included photos.  That was hillarious.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I think I strated posting around early "98 on the old site - same handle. I remember Zen and many others.......
[beer]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I miss the Viking - Marv Sternhammer or whatever it was,  He was a hoot, Did GeorgeinPA ever get his money back?
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been around a while, don't remember when I started. Been really busy the past couple of months and haven't checked in in a while.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I started posting in December of 1998.  I was interested in purchasing my first rifle and was talking to a pro-gun Comp Sci professor at the college I was teaching at.  He was building his own AR-15 and suggested I do the same.  He pointed me to AR15.com and I've been here ever since (used to be PDIMARCO prior to the switch-over).  

I built my first AR on an Olympic receiver and a J&T 20" A2 kit.  I now have a many more toys including a pre-ban Norinco AK and my most recent purchase, a pre-ban Colt SP-1.

You guys (and girls) have been great.  You've introduced me to many technical tips, places to get ammo, places to shoot, etc.  I've met a handful of you in person and I hope I get to meet many more of you over the next few years.  If you're up in New Hampshire, drop me an e-mail and maybe we'll go put holes in paper sometime.  

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I have been around for quite some time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Early/Mid 1999?  I'm not sure.

I remember:
Zen (bought a NIB preban from him and he threw in extra parts and an extra -new- mag)
Titan Tom
Vass
Blood of Tyrants was here.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#47]
The two names that I remember from the old days were ZEN (already covered) and Rambo. Is Rambo still around??  I remember every time anyone talked about Bushmaster, Armalite, etc., he'd go into a big debate about how Colt's were best and the rest were just wannabe's or something to that effect.  Also remember Ed, Jr..... and some guy named Cory that worked for Oly Arms - what ever happened to Cory???
I was also on the Firearms Mailing list out of UTA.EDU back in those days.  It seemed so high tech!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Early/mid 98?? Not sure.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Good to hear from all of you oldtimers again!

Actually, I miss the old format.  I liked it.

Do any of you remember the Colt 20 rounders I was selling for around $13?  I sold about 20 before they ran out.  I must have had over 100 responses to that thread!

Balming
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone miss RedNeckSuckers? I think he had to hold the first record for most flames and just being ignorant in general.

BMB
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top