Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2005 7:40:55 PM EDT
After using it I can't figure out why it isn't the norm to use cables like these.  It's SO MUCH easier and faster.   I don't think any of the flexible rods are long enogh for my PSS though.  Worth every bit of the $40 I spent for the kit .
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine! It's very easy and quick to clean a firearm with that system.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I like them too, the only issue I have is that when using a brush, you pull through, then have to remove the handle, thread it back in & then pull again. You can't get as good a scrub going that way & it seems to take longer.

But the fact that the entire kit is no larger than my wallet makes it pretty nice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't remember the last time i put a rod down the bore.

No bore guides needed for match rifles, either!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Its the best cleaning kit available, no question in my mind.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't think any of the flexible rods are long enogh for my PSS though.  Worth every bit of the $40 I spent for the kit .

How long is the barrel?  My Otis kit has no problem doing my 24"

Now if you like the Otis, try the SACS Cleenbore Cleaning Kit

Even FASTER and EASIER, and I'm a die-hard Otis fan.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
You shouldn't have to unscrew the handle with the way it's designed.  You just slide the brass handle out of place and then replace it once your pulling it through again.  No unscrewing anything there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think any of the flexible rods are long enogh for my PSS though.  Worth every bit of the $40 I spent for the kit .

You may be right.  They just didn't look long enough.  I haven't tried it on my PSS yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I like them too, the only issue I have is that when using a brush, you pull through, then have to remove the handle, thread it back in & then pull again. You can't get as good a scrub going that way & it seems to take longer..

You are doing it wrong.   The handle's T-section slide out, so you don't have to unscrew anything.

THey don't let you push/pull because that fatigues the bristles of the brush.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You are doing it wrong.   The handle's T-section slide out, so you don't have to unscrew anything.

I'm not unscrewing, just sliding it out. I mean you can't draw it through both ways.

They don't let you push/pull because that fatigues the bristles of the brush.

Oh, well.... question answered then.

My bad
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They don't let you push/pull because that fatigues the bristles of the brush.

Oh, well.... question answered then.

My bad

The Otis guys I talked to at some trade shows were pretty adamant about that.

Plus, pushing/pulling toward the chamber will just dump crap into the chamber, not good.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]
They are the shit until you get a stuck case . Then they are worth shit .
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
That's why you always keep a regular rod just in case.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't cleaned my AR for so long, that I can smell it when I walk into the same room.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#14]
+1
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#15]

$40?  Bwa ha ha!  Should have hit Galyans when they were half-priced like I did.  They do make a great kit, don't they?  I love it for my pistols, especially.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I will use nothing else.  Works really well on Garands that can't be cleaned from the breach without taking the rifle apart.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#17]
$20 for the tactical kit??  There's lots of differetn kit's out there.  Maybe you got a different one.  I got it for $35 from midway plus some shipping, and they had sweets for sale for $4.95.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Nope - it's the tactical one.  During the holidays they had ALL of their gun/hunting-related items for half off.  I stocked up as you can imagine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I love my otis. I use it on everything
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the site:

This is a new cleaning system that uses compressed CO2 cartridges to propel a polymer cleaning/oiling wad down the bore.

Not going to touch that one right now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the Otis, but a cable isn't going to remove a stuck case from my chamber.  That's why I keep GI cleaning rod sections handy.  If they'd only make a shock-corded version.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I like the Otis, but a cable isn't going to remove a stuck case from my chamber.  That's why I keep GI cleaning rod sections handy.  If they'd only make a shock-corded version.

I haven't tried it, but the Otis guys insist you can tap out a stuck round, and also explain how a USGI rod can get off center on the round and scratch up the bore.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#23]
My lovely wife bought me one for Christmas.
They are the cat's pajamas.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#24]
The Otis guys are full of it if they think they can tap out a stuck case.  I used to go shooting with only the gun, some mags/ammo/targets/eyes/ears and my Otis kit since its all I needed to clean it.  Well, I got a stuck case 3 rounds in (after driving an hour to the range and having it all to myself ) and was forced to go home.  I spent probably an hour using the rod in every way imaginable and the case wouldn't come out.  When I got home, 30 seconds with my USGI cleaning rod and the case was out.  I love my Otis kit but do carry a USGI kit in my range bag so that I can 1.) tap out stuck cases and 2.) use the chamber brush.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't tried it, but the Otis guys insist you can tap out a stuck round, and also explain how a USGI rod can get off center on the round and scratch up the bore.

I HAVE tried it . IT DOES NOT WORK . I wasted an afternoon at the range because like a dumbfuck I only brought my Otis with me .

Like I said they are the shit until you stick a case then they are worth shit .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top