Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/6/2005 12:47:53 PM EDT
96% of women are liars, honest
theScotsman.uk

NINETEEN out of 20 women admit lying to their partners or husbands, a survey on attitudes to truth and relationships has found.

Eighty-three per cent owned up to telling "big, life-changing lies", with 13 per cent saying they did so frequently.

Half said that if they became pregnant by another man but wanted to stay with their partner, they would lie about the baby's real father.

Forty-two per cent would lie about contraception in order to get pregnant, no matter the wishes of their partner.

And an alarming 31 per cent said they would not tell a future partner if they had a sexual disease: this rises to 65 per cent among single women.

In the poll of 5,000 women for That's Life! magazine, 45 per cent said they told "little white lies" most days. The favourite untruth was "of course you don't look fat", with "these shoes were only £10" in second place.

Jo Checkley, the editor of That's Life! , said that while many women now lied to avoid hurting their partner's feelings, covering up the truth about a baby could have far more damaging consequences.

She said: "Modern women just can't stop lying, but they do it to stop hurting other people's feelings. It could be argued that these little white lies simply make the world go round a little more smoothly. But to tell a man a baby is his when it's not, or to deliberately get pregnant when your partner doesn't want a baby, is playing Russian roulette with other people's lives."

The National Scruples and Lies Survey 2004 found plenty of untruths were told over the Christmas period. A total of 78 per cent said they would pass off a second-hand gift as a brand new present, while half have lied about a Christmas card being "lost in the post".

Women will also lie to save people's feelings, with only 27 per cent saying they would tell a man if he was hopeless in bed (although a third would tell their friends all about it).

Just over half would flatter a man if he asked them about his looks and only 46 per cent would give the "brutal truth". However, 61 per cent of women would want their partners to be "brutally honest" if they asked them "do I look fat?" or "do you think my best friend's attractive?"

Elsewhere, 54 per cent admitted stealing sweets or chocolates; 23 per cent would "sneak a bottle or two" home if they were invited to a party by a well-off friend; 49 per cent would "kiss and tell" to the media for £25,000 if they had a one-night stand with a celebrity; and 38 per cent say they would marry purely for money.

Nearly half said they had faked orgasms and 55 per cent admitted claiming they were tired, had a headache, or felt ill to "get out of lovemaking".

Nineteen per cent of women with a long-term partner said they had cheated on him, while 30 per cent of all women have had an affair with a married man. Sixty-eight per cent said they did not trust their partner.

As far as trustworthy personalities are concerned, the woman with "the most honest face" was Fern Britton, the This Morning host. She was followed by the singer Kerry Katona (formerly McFadden), Sharon Osbourne of The X Factor and the Queen.

The "most honest male face" jointly went to Ant and Dec, the presenters of I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here!, with Prince William second.

The results come in the wake of the controversy surrounding David Blunkett, the Home Secretary, and his former lover, the publisher Kimberly Quinn. They had a child, but she kept details of the affair secret from her husband Stephen, even taking her son to Corfu for a week's holiday to bond with him this year.

Mr Quinn accepted his wife's story, but she had covered up the fact she was accompanied by Mr Blunkett.

The survey questioned 5,000 women, average age 38, across Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Top ten porkies

That's Life! magazine has carried out its National Scruples and Lies Survey 2004 to find out the top ten lies told by women. They are:

1. "Of course you don't look fat!"
2. "These shoes were only £10."
3. "The bus/train was late."
4. "I've got a headache."
5. "I've only had one drink."
6. "That dress looks good on you."
7. "The cheque's in the post."
8. "You look ten years younger."
9. "You're wonderful in bed."
10. "I love you."
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
96%???

I think that figure is off by 4%.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I think we all knew that...
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#3]
From the department of the obvious.

PS:  Men lie too.  Prolly in the same proportion.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
"It's your baby."
(and that article is only off by 3.99%)
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
This needs to be posted in the Women Shooters forum too

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
+1
+1
+1
+1
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]

What's the point? They'd just lie and say the statistics are wrong.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
This is news how?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Every woman that wears makeup is a liar. Covering up the truth.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I can proudly say that I have never lied to a girlfriend about anything.  There have been times I didn't tell them things, but I never lied.

I wish I could say the same about any of my past GFs, but I can't.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife really wants a baby (or three) in a couple of years.  I'm still not sure about whether I want kids.  It's crossed my mind that all she'd have to do is "forget" her pills.  I don't believe she would, but I figure a sizeable number of pregnancies happen that way.  If they'd hurry up and come out with a male pill, then men wouldn't have to worry about this crap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#14]
All I can say is that is just wrong to lie about those things. I can not imagine doing that to anyone!!!! I also make the worlds worst liar.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#15]
All humans are liars.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#16]
96% of women are pathological/deliberate liars... well no kidding, next they'll tell us that the sky is blue, water is wet, and getting kicked in the nuts hurts.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe it.

Not getting on your case, but to me not telling is an intentional cover up and is as bad as lying.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Chris Rock:

Men lie, but women are bigger liars!

Women:

You wear make up, your face doesn't really look like that

You soak yourself with purfume, you don't really smell that good

You get hair extensions, your hair is not that long

You wear padded bras, your boobs aren't that big

You wear high heels, you're not that tall

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine promised that eating ice cream would only make her tits bigger.  She lied.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chris Rock:

Men lie, but women are bigger liars!

Women:

You wear make up, your face doesn't really look like that

You soak yourself with purfume, you don't really smell that good

You get hair extensions, your hair is not that long

You wear padded bras, your boobs aren't that big

You wear high heels, you're not that tall

So basically speaking you're a I prefer "Maryann" over the "Ginger" type?

Just to play devils advocate here but wasn't it men that invented high heel shoes, panty hose and bras?

Patty

I like the Ginger type.

And bless the man that came up with fishnet hose.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
All humans are liars.

SGatr15

+1

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#24]
The %4 percent are lying....
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm really getting sick of this shit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#26]
What a crock.

100% of humans lie.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Have to agree here. Believe what you want to.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I find really funny ladies is that so many of these men think women are liars and bitchs....well, then what type of mother did they have?  Was she a bitch also?  Why or why not?

My wife is a great woman, and I have met many other men with great wives.  Why is it that we can find good women but these guys can't?

Maybe THEY are the problem....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I find really funny ladies is that so many of these men think women are liars and bitchs....well, then what type of mother did they have?  Was she a bitch also?  Why or why not?

My wife is a great woman, and I have met many other men with great wives.  Why is it that we can find good women but these guys can't?

SGatr15

I sure love my momma, but man the stories she told me when I was a kid about where babies come from, with a straight face even... oh man.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

SGatr15

Glad somebody said it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#32]
This entire topic is going to leave a mark.      

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Why can't all women be honest like Hillary Clinton and Janet Reno?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#34]
The other 4% are mutes.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I think any person male or female that would lie about something as life altering as children, sexually transmitted diseases, birth control, parentage etc. should be hung publically.  But if it saves an arguement to say a dress was on sale - I'm game!

All lies are the same, IMHO.  Any untruth between partners is a chisel driven between them.  I seek a partner that will tell me the truth every time I ask.  Now, of course, there are ways of telling the truth, and things that don't need to be said.  This is called tact.  But every time you deliberately say something untrue to a loved one, you are killing a little part of that relationship.  I don't want to have to wonder if my GF/wife is telling the truth, EVER.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
96% of women are liars, honest
theScotsman.uk

Uh-oh...you are on to us....

Actually, those statistics are for the UK.  Do you think American women score higher?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

+1
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#41]
i am StykUrHedUp...and i approve this msg.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

Yeah, I used to think the same way as these guys before I found my Mrs.  What a gal!

I can trust her more than I can trust myself!

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

Thank you sarge!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Just to play devils advocate here but wasn't it men that invented high heel shoes, panty hose and bras?

Patty

Well, French "men".

As for Ginger vs Maryann, do you really have to ask?

Dawn Wells 1964

Dawn Wells 2000

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the point? They'd just lie and say the statistics are wrong.

All right pull out the rotten tomatoes to toss at me BUT if we're such horrible liars than how would you know the women in the survey were telling the truth?  I swear they must have been surveying the women who show up on the daytime talk shows!  I've yet to see one who knew who the father was of any of their children.

I would hope though that this is not the norm for my gender!

Patty

So they lied about lying
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Me too.  Why don't women just stop lying all of the time?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
96%???

I think that figure is off by 4%.

Sad, but so true.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  Why don't women just stop lying all of the time?

Why don't you quit lumping us all into one category?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top