Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 11:09:44 AM EDT
My brother has had his computer a couple years now with on and off Internet usage. He decided to get it out and get Roadrunner(cable) Internet. The tech. that installed it installed Spybot and ran it for him. When he gets online it changes his homepage and he gets pop ups, mostly to buy something to stop pop ups. I went over yesterday and installed Adaware and ran it, came up with over 800 things. Ran Spybot again and found nothing. I installed Zone Alarm next. I thought he should be good to go so I jumped online. Pop up! I changed home page and closed Internet. Opened it again and home page was changed and pop ups.

He obviously has something Adaware and Spybot are not getting so what do I do now? BTW, I did update them both to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Microsoft came out with this today:

Microsoft Spyware tool

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Hijack This   is good if you know what to look for.  Download windows Service Pack 2 if it is XP.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Pop Ups are a function of having Java on.  Turn off Java and no Popups.  However, a lot of web content will not function/show without Java.  There is a program out there to kill popups.  Do a google search...
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Use Firefox.

eta: It's a trojan by the way. Run a virus scan.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pop Ups are a function of having Java on.  Turn off Java and no Popups.  However, a lot of web content will not function/show without Java.  There is a program out there to kill popups.  Do a google search...

Uhhhh... MOST popups DONT use Java.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to trend micro's site and run their free virus scan
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Uhhhh... MOST popups DONT use Java
---------------------------------------

Guess I have been lucky, as I NEVER get popups with Java off
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Microsoft Spyware tool

Shawn

I realize that this just cameout but does anyone have any feedback on it? Just because it is microsoft does mean it is that good.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Registry Mechanic
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Use Firefox.

Ya, ist a good little browser!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Microsoft Spyware tool

Shawn

I realize that this just cameout but does anyone have any feedback on it? Just because it is microsoft does mean it is that good.

I ran it and it didn't come up with anything, but then I keep my machine pretty clean.  My mom ran it and it found 2 things that adaware missed.

Aside from whether it will find adware, the options available on the MS tool are really nice.  You can set it up to automatically download updates and scan your system at regular intervals, among other things.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Use Firefox.

Well guten tag to you too!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#16]
+1000 on Hijaack This.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Microsoft Spyware tool

Shawn

tag to try this one out
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

MOST popups DONT use Java .

...But do SOME Jawa's eat SPAM?

+ =   ?

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Go here :  grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Download and run it....

Turns off the M$ Windows "messenger" function, which is used very often for this kind of attack.

That's NOT the same as MSN Messenger, btw...  ( Instant messaging program, like Yahoo or AOL IM's )  

Also if you're seeing your homepage changed, then you have a browser hijack problem.  Hijack this will help you determine what's doing this, But you'll need to have some knowledge with registry editing, etc. to fix it easily.....  They have a forum that you can post logs to, and ask for help.  Listed on the download site.

Ad-aware AND Spybot "should" have picked up whatever's doing this, but as with anything, what SHOULD happen, doesn't always...

Good luck getting it cleaned up

JB

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Use Firefox.

Well guten tag to you too!

Danke
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
+1000 on Hijaack This.

It worked like a champ for me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Make sure you have the latest version of Ad Aware and get the current definitions.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Format it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#24]
There's a new version of Ad-Aware too available for download (if you don't have it already) called Ad-Aware SE. It's much more thorough than the oldr version.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Turns off the M$ Windows "messenger" function, which is used very often for this kind of attack.

I was going to do that but I forgot how. Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#26]
The Microsoft one looks pretty good.
In this order:

I ran Ad-aware and it found (1).

Ran the new MS software and it found (9) that I had never seen before.

Ran Spy Subtract (which always finds stuff) and it found zero in the registery (that's a first for me, it usually finds between 2 and 4.)

SpyBot Search&Destroy still finds this DSO Exploit that I have been trying to get rid of, but it never finds anything else anyway.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#27]
pest patrol works great- get it from   jr.com  cheapest place around
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#28]
XP Anti-Spy

I can't remember the link, but Google for it. The site is in Germany I think, perhaps a .de domain. But its a great way to plug the holes in XP.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Try CW shredder, and Hijack this! read some of the nerdy help forums and they can get you going.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Microsoft Spyware tool

Shawn

The new MS Anti-Spyware does seem to pick up some things my other anti-spyware tools missed and it is getting very good reviews.

The new MS software also has a good privacy tools to erase recent opened documents, media files, browser cache-history-search, and much more. It also prevent browser hijack attempts.

I would run these tools in this order…

CW Shredder
Spytbot S&D
HijackThis
Ad-Aware
MS Anti-Spyware
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Don't forget about CWShredder

Go to Downloads.com and type in "spy" or "spyware" in search.

Keep finding new ones until it's gone.

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Get rid of all the BS programs that are poacked with spyware. Running adware and spybot is useless if the programs are still installed.

If any program has the worhs "search, bar, or assistant or any combination of them" uninstall them. Does the have any music sharing software like Kaazaa?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Goto Control Panel--->Administrative Tools--->Services

Stop the messnger service and set it to Disabled.

Going to a command prompt and typing "net start" will display a list of running services.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

start/run/type in msconfig/ go to services/ find messenger and uncheck it. apply and restart.

eta, what the above person said as well
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
There's a new version of Ad-Aware too available for download (if you don't have it already) called Ad-Aware SE. It's much more thorough than the oldr version.

I downloaded Ad-Aware SE last night and ran it through.  I'm not sure if it is stopping pop ups yet, but instead of finding the usual 50 items, it found 566 items!!!  Wow.  

Too soon to give a complete opinion of it yet.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#36]
tagging..
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#37]
All I use is Mcafee virus and firewall, pop-up stopper and run spybot about once a month. Absolutely no problems.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#38]
webroot spy sweeper found more than adaware or spybot.  I had to run it multiple times, including rebooting in safe mode (XP).  There were 1 or 2 that kept reinstalling themselves immediately as they were removed- I could go delete the registry entry manually & watch it instantly reappear!!!

I got them in the end by finding the .exe or .dll name from the sweep, then rebooting into safe mode with command prompt and deleting them that way.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
All I use is Mcafee virus and firewall, pop-up stopper and run spybot about once a month. Absolutely no problems.

I can recommend MacAfee’s anti-spyware software it works, I was using it until the MS anti-spyware beta was released… BUT MacAfee ain’t free and MS is at this point.

The MS software seems a little better at blocking spyware, detection, and has some tools that are very handy and at this point is free which may change when the software is in commercial release.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Also recommend www.mozilla.org.... use their email client and web-browser, as most exploits target IE and/or outlook.   Also check into www.guidescope.com and get a good virus protection... I have Symantec (in Norton System Tools) which works well.  Good Luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top