Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2005 6:25:25 AM EDT
Is this an ARFCom 1st or what?  I never had chickens, so when our Amazon parrot died, I said what the hell,  lets get some chickens.  Hens, Rhode Island Reds, two.  The guy threw in 4 chicks as my step daughter (age 10) was with us and "oooooh look how cute" ya know?  Two chicks made it, and yeah ones a rooster.  One red got takin in the night by 'something' with large paws (she got out).
So anyway, we have this big Red, a little black hen, and a really cool rooster now.  After 8 months, no eggs from the big hen.  Now ya gotta understand, they are all also pretty domesticated.  I let them in the house once in a while, but only when I'm throwning some back w/ friends. Drives the wife crazy, but its a laugh riot watcing them, the rooster hangs w/ ya, even fell asleep on the bar once.   Dumb as dog shit too. They'll  jump up on the stove, hang out in the kitchen.  They have no idea.  I follow with paper towels and the wife w/ dissinfectant!  Like two idiots!
Will I ever get eggs or did I creat new pets?
As for thier pen, its decent size with a raised shelter and lots of straw.  They eat corn mash, grit and crushed shells.  
After you're done laughin' at this ridiculous post, any feedback would great.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, if you do get the eggs, there's always a nice roast.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You need to choke it.  Choke your chicken!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, if you do get the eggs, there's always a nice roast.

Dont think that wasn't suggested before!  She wants to break her new Mosin in on the things!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Put stuffing in the chicken and post pics.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If your chicken wont behave, clearly you need to go out back and choke the shit out of it !

That'll learn it !  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me ask my brother when he gets home from work. I seem to recall him talking about this before but I blew it off as "useless knowledge".....Will get back to you.  I think it had something to do with a golfball... Not kidding.

- Travis
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys owe me a new keyboard.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'll be the one...

Why....
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you have nesting boxes or are they possibly laying somewhere on the ground and you don't know it. Which might be the case if they are free range. Usually around the age of 6-8 months they would lay and also in the winter they tend to drop off egg laying because of the cold. WHen I wintered them over I might have 1 egg every day or so. I also had a chicken not lay for about 10 to 12 months. Been there done that with chickens. Good luck. I did enjoy them when I had them and I usually would not winter them over.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe your "chicken" is a "rooster".
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#11]
1st - Make sure they have warm water (at least not frozen!) and plenty of feed all the time.

2nd - Use a real egg layer ration (pellets or crumbles). Should be about 15% protein.  You have to remember, the hen is effectively giving birth every 24 hours, so they must have good nutrition.  The oyster shells is a good plan as well for shell quality.

3rd - Rate of lay is related to photo period (the amount of daylight per day).  Chickens are programmed to start laying in the spring, when the days get longer.  To trick them into laying when it the days are short, try putting a light (can be small, like a night lite) in their pen and have it on from dusk to about 9 p.m.  This should stimulate egg production.

If none of these work give me a shout.  My wife has about 100 hens and sells eggs.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
1st - Make sure they have warm water (at least not frozen!) and plenty of feed all the time.

2nd - Use a real egg layer ration (pellets or crumbles). Should be about 15% protein.  You have to remember, the hen is effectively giving birth every 24 hours, so they must have good nutrition.  The oyster shells is a good plan as well for shell quality.

3rd - Rate of lay is related to photo period (the amount of daylight per day).  Chickens are programmed to start laying in the spring, when the days get longer.  To trick them into laying when it the days are short, try putting a light (can be small, like a night lite) in their pen and have it on from dusk to about 9 p.m.  This should stimulate egg production.

If none of these work give me a shout.  My wife has about 100 hens and sells eggs.

Put some strong lights in the coup and put them on a timer so the chickens get at least 14 hours of bright light per day.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is this an ARFCom 1st or what?  I never had chickens, so when our Amazon parrot died, I said what the hell,  lets get some chickens.  Hens, Rhode Island Reds, two.  The guy threw in 4 chicks as my step daughter (age 10) was with us and "oooooh look how cute" ya know?  Two chicks made it, and yeah ones a rooster.  One red got takin in the night by 'something' with large paws (she got out).
So anyway, we have this big Red, a little black hen, and a really cool rooster now.  After 8 months, no eggs from the big hen.  Now ya gotta understand, they are all also pretty domesticated.  I let them in the house once in a while, but only when I'm throwning some back w/ friends. Drives the wife crazy, but its a laugh riot watcing them, the rooster hangs w/ ya, even fell asleep on the bar once.   Dumb as dog shit too. They'll  jump up on the stove, hang out in the kitchen.  They have no idea.  I follow with paper towels and the wife w/ dissinfectant!  Like two idiots!
Will I ever get eggs or did I creat new pets?
As for thier pen, its decent size with a raised shelter and lots of straw.  They eat corn mash, grit and crushed shells.  
After you're done laughin' at this ridiculous post, any feedback would great.

get a rooster to go with it
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this code word for your little general shooting blanks?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put some strong lights in the coup and put them on a timer so the chickens get at least 14 hours of bright light per day.

FWIW, research has shown that as little as a 15 watts bulb is enough to induce egg production.  As an interesting aside, the chickens eyes are not necessary for this reaction.  Blind chickens react the same to increased light.  Apparently the photoreceptors in the skin detect the day length change.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Maybe your "chicken" is a "rooster".

That would be like trying to milk a bull!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is this code word for your little general shooting blanks?

Damn it...they're on to us!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#18]
We used to raise ducks.
So I've heard a few things that I consider reliable, but not verified.

I've always heard that a hen will not lay eggs unless a rooster is in the picture.

NOT to fertalize the eggs.  But the physical presence does something to
get the hen to lay eggs.

I've been told that even in the big chicken farms, they usually have a few
cocks in cages just to keep them laying.

Again, I've never checked the accuracy of this, so take it with a grain of salt.

But don't get discouraged yet.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#19]
In reply to a few of you..........No lights, no roosting boxes, just one box about 2.5' x 2' x 2' w/ a slanted roof.  I guess I'm doing it all wrong.  thanks for the input.  
BTW.....when I choke it, it only spits, no eggs!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#20]
My daughter had Rhode Island Reds, are you sure they aren't laying eggs? Some birds destroy their own eggs, if you don't get them away from the pen fast enough. I don't know a lot about chickens and hens, but thought I would add my two cents.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll be the one...

Why....

Because I just spit soda all over it after reading that you should "choke your chicken"  to get it to lay eggs

And the "put stuffing in your chicken and post pics"

That's alright I needed a good laugh this morning and I guess I'm easily amused.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Try squeezing the fucker.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#23]
There's something wrong with your cock.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#24]
You might try putting a gun/knife to their little heads. I have never laid an egg, but I sure as hell would try if someone put a weapon to my head!

Maybe showing them a roasting pan/recipe would be the  motivational factor needed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#25]
The light and the feed is the problem.
The rooster idea has nothing to do with it.
We used to have over 1000 laying chickens and we never had a rooster on the farm.
We would gather eggs twice a day, wash them, candle and grade them and sell them.
We would usually get between 700-800 eggs/day.
Once a year, we would send the entire house into a molt (sp?) by regulating the light they got.
They would loose their fethers and then after a few weeks, they would grow them back and start laying again.
After about 3 years, Dad would have a big semi come in full of crates.
We would wait till all the chickens were roosting and then we would go in and grab them off the perches and put them in the crates.
Their next stop was Campbell Chicken Noodle Soup, No kidding.
I don't really want to talk about the plant where they process the birds at.
The headless chicken incident was enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#26]
You have a rooster dude.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I only scanned a few replies.....
You don't need a rooster to have a hen lay eggs, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't have a Rhoad Island roster around kids. They can be (most of 'em) very MEAN. Once the kid falls down, it will continue to go for the "kil". Had to bring a kid to surgery for a lot of facial repairs due to this, and I kiled my Rhode Island rooster after it went after a toddler here at the house.
Your bird, on average, should start to lay at 9 months. Put her on some breeder/layer feed.
The tameness doesn't matter.
With the weather being cold, and sunlight not in abundance they will not lay for a while or slow way down.
Get "The Chicken Health Handbook".
I Love My Chickens.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Was your bi-biker friend anywhere near the rooster?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
We bought 6 chicks about 9 months ago, Sex-linked reds. We had know idea what we were getting and we ended up with 3 hens and 3 swinging dicks! Funny as hell and great entertainment. we hand fed ours and they are freerange. Very friendly, even the cocks. We even have one hen that has learned from watching the dogs how to go in and out the doggie door. she sneaks in and gets dry dog food from the dog dish in the basement. traded one of the Cocks for a cool little Anaconda that lays green eggs. they lay almost everyday. We also have one that lays fucking huge 110 gram eggs (normal is 50 grams), double  and triple yokers. We found that a 14 watt spiral works just fine in the winter for extra light. also check to see if they are eating eggs, One of our Cock(suckers) loves to eat eggs. Last tidbit, give them the egg shells from the eggs you eat once in a while. The extra Calcium helps with egg developement.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
We bought 6 chicks about 9 months ago, Sex-linked reds. We had know idea what we were getting and we ended up with 3 hens and 3 swinging dicks! Funny as hell and great entertainment. we hand fed ours and they are freerange. Very friendly, even the cocks. We even have one hen that has learned from watching the dogs how to go in and out the doggie door. she sneaks in and gets dry dog food from the dog dish in the basement. traded one of the Cocks for a cool little Anaconda that lays green eggs. they lay almost everyday. We also have one that lays fucking huge 110 gram eggs (normal is 50 grams), double  and triple yokers. We found that a 14 watt spiral works just fine in the winter for extra light. also check to see if they are eating eggs, One of our Cock(suckers) loves to eat eggs. Last tidbit, give them the egg shells from the eggs you eat once in a while. The extra Calcium helps with egg developement.

I hope you mean Araucana!

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was your bi-biker friend anywhere near the rooster?  

+1
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Are you sure you have girl chickens?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Man, what's with you Jersey people? My wife is from Jersey and just today brought home seven ducks. She thinks of them as pets, I think of them as food. I'm not sure what to do. The wildlife here willtake care of them in short order after we let them out of their shed in a few weeks. What's the attraction? They stink, and they are noisey. They leave little greasy poops all over too. Oh well, at least they won't live long.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Spike, I notice you're from Jersey...

Those are't assault chickens, are they?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Threaten to kill the male.  Tell her you will make her watch.  This may cause the chicken to produce an egg.  If not, then cut one of her legs off.

Geez, I'm going to bed.  I've had a long day.

ETA:  Cut the leg off below the knee for best results.  Then burn it with a red hot piece of metal.  Put her to bed and start the process over randomly throughout the week.

Oh yeah.  Try just buying eggs at the grocery store.  Cook them while making her watch.  You may have to force her eyelids open for this one as she may be tempted to resist your tactics.

Another thread kill.  You can thank me via IM.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Threaten to kill the male.  Tell her you will make her watch.  This may cause the chicken to produce an egg.  If not, then cut one of her legs off.

ETA:  Cut the leg off below the knee for best results.  Then burn it with a red hot piece of metal.  Put her to bed and start the process over randomly throughout the week.

Oh yeah.  Try just buying eggs at the grocery store.  Cook them while making her watch.  You may have to force her eyelids open for this one as she may be tempted to resist your tactics.

Think You can kill my other thread too, these guys are fucking ruthless
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I say, "Quit choking your chicken."
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Has no one notices this guy lets chickens in his house, picking up their chicken chits after them???

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Has no one notices this guy lets chickens in his house, picking up their chicken chits after them???

What is so strange about that?  I have a trio of show-winning largefowl Black Cochins, all raised by hand, that I let wander through the house when I get home from work before I go out and feed the animals.  Sure, they shit on the linoleum once in a while and it's a pretty healthy pile, but it's just chickenshit.  No stench like when a dog or cat shits in your house.

Edit:  spikentyke, try a feed with a higher protein content to jumpstart the hen.  16% is standard for layer mash or pellets, start with a couple weeks of an all-purpose (18-20%).  The cold weather can also cut egg production.  From the sound of it, you just got yourself three new pets, though.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Doh!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think You can kill my other thread too, these guys are fucking ruthless

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#42]
sheeit, I didn't know chickens could lay eggs without sex
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I've heard that eggs from the grocery store have to sit for a long time befor ethey're allowed to sell them, to make sure they're not fertile.  Is that true?  Someone told me a year... but I can't possibly see that as realistic.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#44]
You got a lesbian hen dude.  You should call her chicken licken.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I've heard that eggs from the grocery store have to sit for a long time befor ethey're allowed to sell them, to make sure they're not fertile.  Is that true?  Someone told me a year... but I can't possibly see that as realistic.

Get some fresh eggs and conduct  a little experiment at your pal's place.  Let them sit on the kitchen counter, try not to be there when they get moved.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Your cock is shooting blanks, obviously.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#48]
No "hen fruit"?

Then it's time to fry that bitch!

Chicken & Dumplin's for dinner 2-night!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top