Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2005 2:47:06 PM EDT
I am building a new computer and am thinking of using the above as my browser as apposed to Internet Explorer.  Anyone else ever use it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm using it right now.

Tabbed browsing rocks, especially when you can set it up to open the tabs in the background.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
use it on the one your wrote that post with also
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]
firefox
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing 'wrong' with it really.......

It's essentially the same as mozilla / firefox, with the exception that NS doesn't accept many of the ad-on 'plugins'  

Some are quite handy, so if you've ever used them with mozilla / firefox, you can pretty much forget about using them again with Netscape.

Also, "to me"  Netscape's tool bar / icons are too big.... waste more screen space than the other two.  Whereas in firefox, you can set it to use small icons & no text names, you can't in NS...

A minor quibble, but something that bugs me, nontheless....

Either way, It's a definite improvement over IE, in terms of being 'crap-proof' so to speak.

I'd recommend Firefox overall tho, if asked.......

Good luck with the new machine

JB

Ohh, and BTW, you will still need IE installed regardless....  The windows update site, as well as hotmail and a few others will NOT function without it.....  Just so's you don't get the idea that you can 'totally eliminate' IE from the machine.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It's essentially the same as mozilla / firefox, with the exception that NS doesn't accept many of the ad-on 'plugins'  

Some are quite handy, so if you've ever used them with mozilla / firefox, you can pretty much forget about using them again with Netscape.

Also, "to me"  Netscape's tool bar / icons are too big.... waste more screen space than the other two.  Whereas in firefox, you can set it to use small icons & no text names, you can't in NS...

A minor quibble, but something that bugs me, nontheless....

Either way, It's a definite improvement over IE, in terms of being 'crap-proof' so to speak.

JB

Ohh, and BTW, you will still need IE installed regardless....  The windows update site, as well as hotmail and a few others will NOT function without it.....  Just so's you don't get the idea that you can 'totally eliminate' IE from the machine.....

I don't want to totally eliminate IE, I just don't want to use it for my day-to-day Internet usage.  I heard that NS is faster and better.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The last time I used it it was a slow, bloated, resource hog.

Clearly the AOL of Browers!

However, I urge you to try it for yourself! Your mileage may vary!

You can always remove it and get Mozilla later!

I've HAD AOL, and it is teh suck.  

I'd use IE but I heard that netscape is better.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Firefox is way better than Netscape.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

***snippedy snip***

JB

I don't want to totally eliminate IE, I just don't want to use it for my day-to-day Internet usage.  I heard that NS is faster and better.  

Better ?, yes...   Faster ?.... Ehhh

Firefox would be the best of them, in my opinion.  plus you can also change the 'internal settings' on it to speed it up even more, depending on your connection speed.   There's a post floating around here in GD  somewhere that details exactly what ones to change, the values, etc.  

You can't do that with netscape easily, so thats one less point in it's favor....

I've tried/used SO many browsers over the years out of sheer curiousity and all things considered, Firefox is my 1st choice for browsing, when set up right, for anyone who creeps around the net a lot.

Nothing to say you cant try ANY of them, to see which you prefer. Just tossing my own experiences into the fray, for you to add to your arsenal of info.  

JB
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Firefox is way better than Netscape.  

Yep, and not as large of a program to run.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the advice guys.  The new machine isn't up and running yet, but when it is I will try Netscape and if I don't like it, will try Mozilla and/or Firefox.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Netscape's tool bar / icons are too big.... waste more screen space than

Go to View, Show/Hide, and fix the appearance how you want it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I've tried IE, Safari, Firefox, and Opera.

Firefox, hands-down.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Netscape used to be better before AOL got it's paws on them
Use Firefox and Thuderbird(replace outlook express)
and don't look back.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got back from configuring the new machine, (up and running) but not in my home yet, and it is going to use FireFox.  Thanks again for all the advice.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#18]
You can't delete IE from your computer, it is integrated with Windows.

And it will send a signal back to Microsoft.  Bill Gates will dispatch thugs with Louisville Sluggers who will come visit you in the middle of the night.  You must have IE on your computer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You can't delete IE from your computer, it is integrated with Windows.

And it will send a signal back to Microsoft.  Bill Gates will dispatch thugs with Louisville Sluggers who will come visit you in the middle of the night.  You must have IE on your computer.

You can always delete
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top