Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2005 11:29:43 AM EDT

Would it be legal for me and my older brother start a business and start making FA weapons strickly for export or LE use?

If so what would legal forms are required?

Wow! I'm full of good ideas!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Hope you have $$$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Would it be legal for me and my older brother start a business and start making FA weapons strickly for export or LE use?

Electonically fillable forms can be found on this page.

ATF Form 7
Use that to apply for your 07 (Manufacturer's) FFL

ATF Form 5630-7
This is for your NFA Class II (Manufacturer's) SOT

I have no personal experience with this process (used his C&R application for an 03 FFL), but this is what I understand you need.  I would guess you need to get the first approved before you apply for the second.  On his page, he also mentions that the online forms do not include the FBI fingerprint cards that you will need to get.  Also on his site is the paperwork for registering and exporting stuff  after you get your licenses as well.  Good luck if you choose to pursue this, but it looks like quite an undertaking to me.

ETA: You will need to show some sort of business activity (not just manufacturing, but LE/Export sales) as well, at least by the renewal, I understand.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Electonically fillable forms can be found on this page.

ATF Form 7
Use that to apply for your 07 (Manufacturer's) FFL

ATF Form 5630-7
This is for your NFA Class II (Manufacturer's) SOT

I have no personal experience with this process (used his C&R application for an 03 FFL), but this is what I understand you need.  I would guess you need to get the first approved before you apply for the second.  On his page, he also mentions that the online forms do not include the FBI fingerprint cards that you will need to get.  Also on his site is the paperwork for registering and exporting stuff  after you get your licenses as well.  Good luck if you choose to pursue this, but it looks like quite an undertaking to me.

ETA: You will need to show some sort of business activity (not just manufacturing, but LE/Export sales) as well, at least by the renewal, I understand.

You'll need the 07 FFL, the SOT, the state dept. fee (which I understand is going to $1300+/year), proper zoning (industrial/manufacturing), any required state/local business licenses, and clients (if you can't show you are actually doing business and are just in operation to enhance your collection BATF will pull your license).
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
You will also need ITARS which just went up to $1,750 a year..

Good luck getting the state department to aprove you though, last I heard NO Ar-15's were being allowed out of the US. I couldnt imagine them letting machine guns out..

What are you planning on building anyways?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thats what I was thinking with the state dept. fee.  Is it really going to $1750?  I thought it was only $1300 or so.  Thats almost triple what it was.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Good luck getting the state department to aprove you though, last I heard NO Ar-15's were being allowed out of the US. I couldnt imagine them letting machine guns out..

What are you planning on building anyways?

What am I planning on building?  Nothing right now just wanted info on the process if someday the opprotunity arrises.

Because since
i definately can't afford a FA weapon maybe I couldmanufacture them for less and still get to play with them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Dont forget a lawyer or two.

You will also need to worry about US customs, my understanding is they are being extremely restrictive on outbound MGs.

Now combine that with competition from the big companies, Chinese and eastern europe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top