Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2005 5:08:56 AM EDT
I got an error message in Win XP that said something about Page File use. Not enough memory or something. I can't remember but I can't get into my computer, it's in slow motion.

It's a 2.4G P-4 with 512mb ram. My kids were using it and then it got a blue screen and locked up.

I got the new Norton antivirus and ran it, found nothing.

It won't let me into the system restore either.

Got to get to work, Thanks in advance will check back this eve.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Right click my computer, properties, advanced tab, click performance, click advanced tab, click change under virtual memory.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Right click my computer, properties, advanced tab, click performance, click advanced tab, click change under virtual memory.

+1

Bring up the task manager.   Click on the performance tab.  The second graph is the page file usage.  How much is it using?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:45:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, I'm going to do that today. I'm on a slower computer right now, I couldn't get online with my other one. The same error came up and locked up the machine, but I can slowly get into My Computer which will give me a chance to make that adjustment.

Thanks again for your help.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#4]
If the kids are using it, run Spybot & Ad-Aware regularly; keep your virus definitions up to date.

-hanko
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:02:10 AM EDT
[#5]
page file errors are an indication of a problem.  manually changing the file settings WILL NOT address the real issue.  it sounds as though you may be running out of hard drive space or you may be running a program with a "memory leak" (a program that takes system resources but does not release the resources when it is finished).
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I adjusted the amount of virtual memory. The machine is moving a little faster, but something is still off.

For some reason I can't get online, I am going to check the settings to see if they were changed.

hanko is correct about the spyware. There must be a ton of spyware on the machine, I will run Spybot S&D and Adaware as soon as I can download them, or I will try to get them off this computer if I can't get online soon.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
try this:

www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

i use this at work a couple times of week so it is safe...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
try this:

www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

i use this at work a couple times of week so it is safe...

Thanks. I'm going to save it on this computer and put it on a floppy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top