Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2001 2:02:12 PM EDT
I am trying to find a place to shoot outdoors in the Palm Beach County area.  Anyone know of a range in the 'neighborhood'?
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a park near Ft. Lauderdale called Markham Park. It's a big national park type place.  They have a beauty range there.  It is only opened certain hours and costs a small amount to go.  I've been once and it was OK.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I think this is the phone and address.  Good luck.

16001 W Sthy 84  Fort Lauderdale, FL (954) 389-2000  
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
FL_BOY ask over on [url]www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi[/url] the site is run by a bunch fla.people.mmk
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Pop's Place is about an hour away from you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
thanx for the info.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Also you might want to take a look here.
[url]http://www.floridashootersnetwork.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
[size=2][b][blue]FL_BOY,

Besides the infrequent public invitation to the PBCSO Range out west on Southern Blvd(SR 80), there really aren't any outdoor ranges left in PB County. Your best choices are Markham Park to the south - it is quite a drive unless you live in south PB County.

Another option is the range in Okeechobee. I haven't been yet, but have planned a trip. I have heard from several friends that it is a decent range. Not sure how the pricing works. This range has a 200 yard rifle range and handgun ranges. Here is the contact info and directions:

Thunder Cross Motorsports Park
Highway 70 East, Okeechobee, Florida
941-367-2277

For information call Dan Braswell @ 561-624-1040

Directions - Take SR 710 to SR 70, turn right and go 3.9 miles to NE 80th Avenue. Turn left and go to the end of the pavement and just follow the signs to the range.

There is also a private highpower rifle range in Okeechobee where only M1A or AR15 type rifles are allowed. It is located in Okeechobee also. They only shoot once per month, and I think it is the second Saturday @ 9am. This range has the standard 200 yard berm, 300 yard berm, and 500 yard berm. Has the standard target berm configuration for highpower. You can find out more information by contacting Mike of Mike's Gun Shop in Okeechobee. He has flyers and information. It is a private range and you will have to be voted in/accepted by the club president, who I believe is still Herman Salizar, an attorney out of Miami. This guy is really into the highpower game. He and some of the members of the private highpower range also shoot at the Palm Bay Club once per month, which has a 600 yard range as well as subgun matches each month. A couple of the private highpower range members qualify for Camp Perry just about every year.

[/size=2][/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
[size=2][b][blue]Continued from previous post -

There is also the Martin County Sportsman's Association private outdoor range just north of the Palm Beach County line. I am a member and shoot there regularly. It is a private range open 7 days per week, 365 days per year from sun up to sun down. 4 different 'bays': 1. 50 yard rimfire/pistol caliber under cover with concrete floors. 2. 25 yard open bay for pistol caliber weapons only with approved targets. 3. 25 yard bay with a plate machine or approved targets. 4. 100 yard bay with 25 yard, 50yard, 50 meter, and 100 yard placements for approved targets with centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles, or centerfire hunting-type handguns approved by the Range Director. Class III shoots organized by the Range Director on a case-by-case basis. The range hosts 2 IPSC shoots per month, including rifle/AR15 stages. Also hosts 1 Cowboy shoot per month and a rimfire shoot each Thursday morning @ 9am(I think it is thursday).

Last but not least is the brand new Indian River County range approximately 5 minutes east of I-95. This is about a 1 hour trip north of Palm Beach County at I-95 exit #69. The former Range Director from Markham Park in Broward County moved to that area (my folks live 5 minutes from this range) and runs the range. This range is nicer, more organized and professional than any other range I have been to in Central or South Florida. It has only been open 2 months and is most impressive. Fully covered range line with concrete floors, with lanes designated for rimfire, pistol, centerfire rifle, archery, and airgun at 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards. Class III and 50 BMG are allowed with the permission of the Range Director. A really nice bunch of range officers and well managed.

Hope this helps and contact me if you need more info,
Clay

[/size=2][/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Clay,....I shoot at Thundercross, in Okeechobee quite a bit. It costs $6.00/hr, and is closed on Tues. and Wed. The rangemaster is really cool and keeps things safe without acting like a "Nazi".
  As of now no full autos, or 50s, but the rangemaster told me he is trying to talk the owner into holding a machine gun shoot once a month[uzi] It is a really nice range, and they don't have some of the more ridiculous rules that some other ranges have ([i]like the old 5 second rule I have heard of at some places[/i])
  I usually roll in there toting my AR, AK, H&K, and a buttload of ammo.  None of the other shooters get offended by the presence of "politically incorrect" weapons. Always some other people there shooting ARs and such also.
  If you don't mind paying the $6/hr you should come check it out.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Im going to have to check out the Indian River, and Martin Co. ranges
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Madmedic,

Should be plenty of AR's at that range with Ed/Gunsmoke being just down the street. I have been to Ed's house/shop a couple of times for parts. About a 45 minute drive for me from Palm Beach Gardens.

Do you live in Okeechobee? Maybe we could meet up out there for a shoot soon. If you're up for it, we could do a shoot at the Martin County Range with you as my guest and no fees.

I was planning on a trip for Friday morning. I am flexible, as I work 24 hours on, 48 off with a 3 week (6 shifts) kelly day. You gotta love that kelly day ....... 5 days off every 3 weeks. Now if I could just figure out how to sell my carpet, upholstery, tile&grout cleaning business for a tidy profit and only work at Fire-Rescue!

Let me know if you are interested.

Best Regards.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Clay...sounds like a plan. Id like to check out that Martin Co. range (someone told me they frown on assault rifles there though, any truth to that?).....I live in Port St. Lucie, and also work 24/48s, C-shift, (never enough kelly days though)lol

Dont know if Ill be able to do Friday yet,..but if not,... definitely some other time[:D]
feel free to email me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:46:19 AM EDT
[#13]
btt
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
[size=2][b][blue]MM,

I missed the range trip today. My dealer phoned me to pick up my new DSA STG58 that came in. This is one schwwweeeeeeett FAL! Can't wait to get to the range next week to test drive it.

I have not bumped into any members who were not enthusiastic re: assault weapons. A couple of the club's officers are the trap & skeet & bullseye only type, but the members are the ones who are paying the dues and the Range Director is a personal friend of mine and is an assault weapons nut, loves and owns some class III weapons, and is changing the face of the club by his constant and persistent move to NRA type club rules, scheduled full auto shoots, carbine stages as an addition to the regular IPSC shoots twice each month, etc. The last time I spoke with him he had plans to run for club president next time the seat was up for election.

I have recently made a career change on my 2nd job that I work on off duty days and it allows me quite a bit more free time. I am planning on attending the monthly club meetings in Stuart on the 1st Monday of each month to help the Range Director out.

The overwhelming majority of the members are fantastic people and welcome all types of legal firearms. I am sending you an email re: range plans for the next couple of weeks. BTW, I work "C" shift also and have a Friday kelly day.

Regards,
Clay[/size=2][/b][/blue]
[bounce][beer][bounce][beer][bounce][beer][bounce][beer][bounce][beer][bounce][beer]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#15]
thanx for the info, i am going to try indian river this sunday.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Madmedic,

I was planning on a trip for Friday morning. I am flexible, as I work 24 hours on, 48 off with a 3 week (6 shifts) kelly day. You gotta love that kelly day ....... 5 days off every 3 weeks. Now if I could just figure out how to sell my carpet, upholstery, tile&grout cleaning business for a tidy profit and only work at Fire-Rescue

i miss those FD shifts!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top