Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2005 12:57:05 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a used Armalite, when fired it would shoot a 2 rd burst, every now and then about 3-5X per 30rds.  I gave the rifle a good cleaning along with some lube.  I also changed ammo and it still happens.  The funny thing is during the 2nd 30rd run, it stopped bursting (though it had problems feeding the new ammo)  Should I throw my hands up and take it to a gun smith and have him look at the trigger or what??
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I'd get it looked at, pronto.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a class III license and let 'er rip.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

*sigh* Are you serious?

You do realize no such thing exists..right?

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

where does one purchase a class III liscense?  From the Ice cream Man?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that you should lose the rifle in a Tragic Boating Accident™.

Seriously, take the rifle to a competent gunsmith and have it looked at.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
This sucks......I feel like I threw my money away
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*sigh* Are you serious?

You do realize no such thing exists..right?

*Sigh* No I was completely not serious. In fact I thought it would be so obvious that a firearm that was so obviously unsafe as to trigger multiple rounds per trigger pull needed to be taken to a gunsmith that I decided to go the absurdist route and make a joke out of it. Hence the jokey-smiley.

= joke.

Kindly un-knot your testes. (= joke   )
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Friend of mine had similar problem with his Armalite 15T.  Two round burst and jamming every 10th or so round. He sent it back to Armalite and they replaced the hammer and sear. It's fixed now. So, call them up and send it back to them.  Don't fuck with it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Try replacing the trigger/hammer?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a used Armalite, when fired it would shoot a 2 rd burst, every now and then about 3-5X per 30rds.  I gave the rifle a good cleaning along with some lube.  I also changed ammo and it still happens.  The funny thing is during the 2nd 30rd run, it stopped bursting (though it had problems feeding the new ammo)  Should I throw my hands up and take it to a gun smith and have him look at the trigger or what??

How much you want for it  ???
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
For a few bucks you can swap out the trigger disconnector and hammer yourself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#12]
What about one of those McCormick trigger packs?

Saw the ad; thought it was cool.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I am not ashamed to say that I am clueless about changing the trigger and hammer.  I would rather let a gunsmith fix it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

*Sigh* No I was completely not serious. In fact I thought it would be so obvious that a firearm that was so obviously unsafe as to trigger multiple rounds per trigger pull needed to be taken to a gunsmith that I decided to go the absurdist route and make a joke out of it. Hence the jokey-smiley.

= joke.

Kindly un-knot your testes. (= joke   )

Ok, making sure..I deal with idiots all day, so sorry

First day back at work after almost 3 weeks off...already I'm up to my knees in bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL no worries.

BTW your avatar is hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not ashamed to say that I am clueless about changing the trigger and hammer.  I would rather let a gunsmith fix it.

Do like I said. If you bought an Armalite then you have a lifetime warranty. They will fix it for free.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#17]
have you checked the sear for proper engagement? Check to see if the hammer slips when you release the trigger. Clean the bolt out and ensure that the firing pin is held in place properly. (doesnt sound like the problem buy you might as well check it) Let me know how these checks go.

ETA: the trigger system in an ar15 is extrememly simple. I performed the 15 minute trigger job on mine less than a week after I bought it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy a new trigger group.  Install it.  99 to 1 this solves the problem.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine did exactly the same thing.  Turned out to be 2 broken gas rings.  Replaced them with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]
In fact.....

How to do a trigger swap...

Easier than changing the oil in your car.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
LOL no worries.

+1
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I just sent an email to Armalite.  Hopefully I will get a good reply.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

This is usually indicative of a bad disconnector and/or bad disconnector spring.  

But as others have suggested you would probably be better off replacing all three parts, the hammer, trigger, and disconnector since you bought it used and don't know it's history.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
In fact.....

How to do a trigger swap...

Easier than changing the oil in your car.

Damn, that is easy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Replace the disconnector and it's spring. Total cost is less than $10.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Replace the disconnector and it's spring. Total cost is less than $10.

That is not bad.  I will see what Armalite has to say.  I may just order the parts and do it myself.  I have shipped guns before and they take months to get back.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#27]
hokie,  just check the gas rings.  I'm telling you my Bushy did the same thing.  Everyone told me disconnector, spring, etc.  Ended up being the gas rings.  I don't know how or why.  But this is what happened.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a spare Armalite trigger group you could try if you are nearby Nelson Co.

Not hard at all to swap out.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
hokie,  just check the gas rings.  I'm telling you my Bushy did the same thing.  Everyone told me disconnector, spring, etc.  Ended up being the gas rings.  I don't know how or why.  But this is what happened.

Ok, how do I do that?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have a spare Armalite trigger group you could try if you are nearby Nelson Co.

Danny

Rats, my parents live in C'ville and I was up there over the weekend and could have done it then.  I am in Blacksburg and won't be back up that direction for a while (leaving on a business trip to KY)
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Danny

Rats, my parents live in C'ville and I was up there over the weekend and could have done it then.  I am in Blacksburg and won't be back up that direction for a while (leaving on a business trip to KY)

Offer still stands if you can't get it going anytime soon.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Danny

Offer still stands if you can't get it going anytime soon.

Danny

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Factory stock trigger parts are crazy cheep.You could follow directions,it is pretty easy and something every ar shooter should teach him/herself as they will mess up from time to time.It will take some messing around the first time you do it with the directions in front of you but once you work thru it it is easy.After you learn the stock trigger you will be able to install any aftermarket although some need to be fitted or adjusted. I would recomend getting a stock trigger running right first as some aftermarket  triggers share some parts and you want to start with a correct setup. Nice to have a stock trigger as a spare or fallback before you mess with aftermarket stuff.
I would expect Armalite would fix you up but you have to ship and be without.
A local shop should be able to swap out trigger parts cheeper than the shipping . It is so simple I think some would do it while you wait.
If you are lucky a local AR15 guy might meet with you and show you how.(hint hint guys)
For small parts BROWNELLS  will throw them in a first class envelope and you will get them fast and cheep.
Good luck !
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#35]
VTHOKIESHOOTER,
I have a new disconnector if you want it.  It's gold TIN coated.  Won't hurt anything and you'll only see it when you take down the rifle.  I don't have a spare spring though.  Maybe someone else will send you one.  But I can ship the disconnector to you at no charge to you.  Let me know.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
LOL no worries.

[Elvis]Wha, thank ya, thank ya very much[/Elvis]

Ok..back to work..
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:55:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
VTHOKIESHOOTER,
I have a new disconnector if you want it.  It's gold TIN coated.  Won't hurt anything and you'll only see it when you take down the rifle.  I don't have a spare spring though.  Maybe someone else will send you one.  But I can ship the disconnector to you at no charge to you.  Let me know.

Thanks,   I think I will just go and order the whole trigger groups.  I will let y'all know  how it works out
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I called Armalite, the warrenty is only good on new rifles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Cool, you should be getting it back this time next year.

Seriously.

Quoted:
I just sent an email to Armalite.  Hopefully I will get a good reply.

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok i will bite. how exactly will the gas rings affect double taps? you had to have moved or changed something else. unless the bolt was binding and it was slam firing i can't think of any way for that to happen.

Yeah, didn't make sense to me, either....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#41]
VTHOKIESHOOTER, I enjoyed your company and glad I could make your rifle humm to a different tune.

I had never seen the spring back out of the bottom center of the hammer and turn like that before, wether or not that was the real issue. I also had never seen a trigger with unpolished surfaces before. That new FCG should serve you well.

Hope you enjoy the rifle and the mag.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
VTHOKIESHOOTER, I enjoyed your company and glad I could make your rifle humm to a different tune.

I had never seen the spring back out of the bottom center of the hammer and turn like that before, wether or not that was the real issue. I also had never seen a trigger with unpolished surfaces before. That new FCG should serve you well.

Hope you enjoy the rifle and the mag.

Danny

Thank you!  Going to send some rounds down range and work on shooting good groups with open sites.  Let me know when your down my way and we can shoot some guns and have a beer.  Thanks again!

Nate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top