Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/2/2005 3:52:29 PM EDT
Alright,
So I've been thinking of getting a truck in a year or so and was looking at the new F-150's, Nissan Titan and maybe even the F-250 super duty.  Now, I'll get a cap for it too.  Well, I was actually thinking that "if I'm going to put a cap on it, maybe I should look at SUV's".  Now here's the rub.  For the most part I detest SUV's and everything they stand for.   I miss the old Toyota Land Cruiser that had the spare on the hood.  I miss the old Bronco.  I don't like leather (or DVD players, gold accents etc) in a truck.  So, what SUV is made (NO Hummer H1's or Land Rovers need apply) that is still somewhat closer to a real, off-roadable, tough as nails, trail bustin' machine?  Or should I just go with the truck?

R
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
My Toyota 4runner has proven it'self many times over. I would buy it again in a second. When I finally buy my truck, it's gonna be the truck version of this SUV, the Tacoma.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Honda Civic.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Cherokee would be my vote...
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
dodge. Don't really like em, but if youu get a 3/4T or 1T you get decent axles. IFS will always suck on an OEM vehicle.

if you want an SUV you better buysomething a bit older.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
2 door Tahoes were pretty dam goog(K5's) and had a very solid frame. To bad GM no longer makes them, 1999 was the last year for them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Wrangler Rubicon is the most off-roadable vehicle made currently.

No question about it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No question about it.

Is it an SUV?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No question about it.

Is it an SUV?

An SUV with almost no storage space.    Jeep - Just empty every pocket.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Untill it was discontinued in favor of the soccer-mom lLiberty, the Jeep Cherokee (the XJ, not the Grand Cherokee) was the best production SUV without doubt.

Solid front axle... find that on any other SUV of the period! The 4.0L/AW4 combo is super reliable.

I say find a 2000 Cherokee. Out of the box it is good, for under $500 you can make it very good and still very streetable. A 1 3/4 lift ($100), trac-lock in the rear, and some 30x9.50 tires.

Mine works very well with that setup.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

A nice thing to call a Cherokee would be... Spartan.

I love mine. No frills, just thrills.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
While I love the Jeep, I wouldn't consider it an SUV.  It's ....well....a jeep.

Shivan,
I like the older "boxy" Cherokee that Jeep discontinued.  Assholes.  My Bro-in-law has a Grand Cherokee and hates it.

Dodge fucked up the Durango when they changed the body style.  They totally imasculated it.

How are the new Tahoes, Yukons and Expeditions?

r
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No question about it.

Is it an SUV?

An SUV with almost no storage space.    Jeep - Just empty every pocket.

I also believe the Rubicon is the most capable off-road vehicle.

JEEP- Junk Every Existing Part  (true until the Rubicon appeared)
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Shivan,
I like the older "boxy" Cherokee that Jeep discontinued.  Assholes.  My Bro-in-law has a Grand Cherokee and hates it.

That's the one, buy used.....don't fall for the depreciation trap.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Grand Cherokee

with the right transmission

Have ---------- 2 ------------------

that says  a lot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It's also the most useless platform in the context of trucks and possible SUV alternatives.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
While I love the Jeep, I wouldn't consider it an SUV.  It's ....well....a jeep.

Shivan,

Dodge fucked up the Durango when they changed the body style.  They totally imasculated it.

How are the new Tahoes, Yukons and Expeditions?

r

Not to mention the front ends are on reacal cause from the ball joints out keeps falling off the vehicle. I'm not 100% on this.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No question about it.

I don't think it fits most people's definition of the SUV.  (no cargo room)  I'm with SHIVAN on the Cherokee.  You can build one up to top a Rubicon if you so wish, and it seats 4-5 with plenty of cargo room left over.  I'm hearing good things about the Liberty, too, if you must have a new vehicle.  Me, I'm loving my $4k Cherokee.  Another $4k, and it would beat a stock Rubicon.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Liberty is out of the question.  Total chick (or gay) SUV.  I just hope that Jeep doesn't do with the Wrangler, what they did with the Cherokee.  Phase out the capable one in favor of the soccer mom flavor.

R
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Liberty is out of the question.  Total chick (or gay) SUV.

Werd......
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's also the most useless platform in the context of trucks and possible SUV alternatives.

This is also true.  It cannot haul much gear, unless you have a roof rack or tow a small trailer.  It is also a poor choice for hauling people.  The only thing it is good for is off-roading.

For an off-road capable SUV I would recommend the Grand Cherokee.

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Man,
If ford would only re-introduce the Bronco...

I mean, essentially there are no reasonably priced off-road capable SUV's anymore.  I would think if Ford (or Chevy or Jeep...) would make one, it would sell great.  Maybe not.

R
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Liberty is out of the question.  Total chick (or gay) SUV.

Werd......

I don't like the looks, but the potential is there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Alright,
So I've been thinking of getting a truck in a year or so and was looking at the new F-150's, Nissan Titan and maybe even the F-250 super duty.  Now, I'll get a cap for it too.  Well, I was actually thinking that "if I'm going to put a cap on it, maybe I should look at SUV's".  Now here's the rub.  For the most part I detest SUV's and everything they stand for.   I miss the old Toyota Land Cruiser that had the spare on the hood.  I miss the old Bronco.  I don't like leather (or DVD players, gold accents etc) in a truck.  So, what SUV is made (NO Hummer H1's or Land Rovers need apply) that is still somewhat closer to a real, off-roadable, tough as nails, trail bustin' machine?  Or should I just go with the truck?

R

What are you going to use it for? Do you just want a truck as a vehicle, or do you plan to use it for something other than to move people?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Toyota Land Cruiser.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a 1992 4WD Suburban with 170,000 miles on it. Has never let me down on or off road.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Buy the truck! Now I dont like dodge, but look at the new power wagons. Most capible stock truck you can buy. Comes stock with front and rear lockers. The new F series are great trucks. F150s have increased power and so on. The superduties have improved even more. There is a big difference between and suv and a truck with a topper. The truck is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Early 70s landcruiser
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Man,
If ford would only re-introduce the Bronco...

I mean, essentially there are no reasonably priced off-road capable SUV's anymore.  I would think if Ford (or Chevy or Jeep...) would make one, it would sell great.  Maybe not.

R

it's a concept right now who knows?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Toyota Hilux or Landcruiser or Nissan Patrol
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#33]
landcruiser or 4runner yotatech.com
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#34]
My mom got a 2000 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4  in 03.  She likes it.  She doesn't go off road(just camping)  but my sister had one, a '96 and went off road quite frequently for her old job.  

If you get a Blazer, get a '98 or newer.  MY sister had some probs with the '96.

A Tahoe or Suburban might fit the bill.  My dad has the truck version of the Suburban 3/4 ton, a 1997 Chevrolet C-2500 p/u.

MY .02  
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#35]
The new Nissan or Toyota compact pickups with four doors and a small bed look very enticing. My Nissan Hardbody pickup ('87, extracab, 4x4, V6) was the shiznit off-road. It could go literally anywhere a vehicle could fit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm a toyota bigot, own a 03 Tacoma 4x4 and an old 85 2WD.  For a SUV I'd get a 4runner or one of the larger toyota SUV's
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#37]
If I may so bold as to opine on this issue might I suggest a 1985 Toyota Land Crusher.  If you need something bright shiny and new check out "Cool Cruisers of Texas".  I do believe they have a web site.

Anyhow, you can't beat the old Crushers with a stick.  I initially got mine after listening to my little brother wax poetic about his for years.  He lived in Kenya far away from any road system and his Crusher turned in an awsome performance.  Not too good on petrol and they are not exactly on the cutting edge of automotive design but I hope to tell you they are stalwart in the deep woods.  I have had mine in many spots in which I should never have been and never got stuck or had any major problems.  Hauled bloody muscle (Elk and Mulies), firewood, tons of tools, lumber, you name it with no hitches.  These were just astounding rigs.  

As I mentioned, "Cool Cruisers of Texas" is a good place to look for a perfect one, FJ60 or FJ40.  You might also check "JT's Cruisers" in NC.  I've gotten parts from them and they seem to be fine folks.  Last I heard they were restoring Crushers.

For my own part I am about to head away from the Crusher and get either a Pinzgauer or a Volvo Valp.  Mainly due to the 4 cylinder engines and the utter coolness of the rigs.  If you wish to check those out you can find some interesting info at "www.real4X4.com".

Anyhow, good luck with your endeavors.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

do they still make it?  i thought it ws just the Liberty and Grand Cherokee now?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope.  They discontinued it.

Man if Ford made that new Bronco, I'd buy it.

I'm also thinking of a new Tacoma.  6 speed manual of course.
R
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, the older "regular" Cherokee is a great candidate for what you want.  Having said that, we have a 2000 Grand Cherokee and it has never let us down. Mind you, we don't bash it, but we do use it alot in snow/ice and some mud. Got rid of the stock tires and that helped alot.  Too many frills to break, though, if you're going to be offroading at speed.

I'd buy another, but will probably opt for a pickup in the future as our family is "de-staffing" due to the kids leaving the nest and we don't need people-haulers as much anymore.  In other words, our Wrangler is working better and better as the "family car".
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I own both the Rubicon, and wife has a Jeep Puberty....  Libety is great for SUV status, but lacks it off road. Rubicon can go up a strait wall, or car, or anything else you point it at, but your only taking yourself and a friend... Back seat will come out for gear.

I would get a Toyota in your case.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#42]
A Jeep Grand Cherokee is a GREAT off road vehicle.  I mean just fantastic, and I speak from lots of experience wheeling stock or near stock Grands.  Just go look at how many times it has won the Petersons 4x4 of the Year award.  Every time there is a new model, it wins.  

Libertys are also very good off road for what they are, though I would not be caught dead in one.  I will stick with my Wrangler until I get some responsibilities (family).
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Toyota Land Cruiser.

The only and best. Im a FJ40 man.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#45]
How much real off roading. Brush busting and hard running? I've seen newer Chevy and GMC's work the oil fields and get abused hard.  Too bad all the new vehicles have so much electronic crap on em.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#47]
... That's easy!!!

... and I'm not kidding either!
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Untill it was discontinued in favor of the soccer-mom lLiberty, the Jeep Cherokee (the XJ, not the Grand Cherokee) was the best production SUV without doubt.

Solid front axle... find that on any other SUV of the period! The 4.0L/AW4 combo is super reliable.

I say find a 2000 Cherokee. Out of the box it is good, for under $500 you can make it very good and still very streetable. A 1 3/4 lift ($100), trac-lock in the rear, and some 30x9.50 tires.

Mine works very well with that setup.

Grand Cherokee also had live axles, I think it still does.  More horses, more torque, better version of the Quadratrac and better suspension compared to Cherokee.  The ooh/aah trailing link/live axle on the newer TJs was lifted straight from JGC.

The Grand Cherokee is exceptionally capable off road, the other vehicles in the same genre aren't even competition.  It just has too much 'bling' and not enough interior space.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#49]
If your want a truck, buy a truck. If you want a "best of " SUV, buy a 92-96 Ford bronco, a 94-2000 jeep cherokee,  a 88-89 chevy blazer, a 96/2001 4runner(with man hubs) or Dodge Ramcharger.

Then get every aftermarket mag you can get.

then make friends with someone who can tell you what you need.

then put it in a good shop for a while with the parts you want or  learn to work on it while its getting rebuilt.

Enjoy. B/C I haven't seen a SUV thats built to use since the fullsize Bronco was dropped.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
If your want a truck, buy a truck. If you want a "best of " SUV, buy a 92-96 Ford bronco, a 94-2000 jeep cherokee,  a 88-89 chevy blazer, a 96/2001 4runner(with man hubs) or Dodge Ramcharger.

Then get every aftermarket mag you can get.

then make friends with someone who can tell you what you need.

then put it in a good shop for a while with the parts you want or  learn to work on it while its getting rebuilt.

Enjoy. B/C I haven't seen a SUV thats built to use since the fullsize Bronco was dropped.

I think last year for Bronco was '95.  If he wants to go used that is an excellent choice.  I had one ordered as a Custom from Ford that had a 5.0 and a T-19 with compound low 1st gear, painted flat desert tan with a hose out interior.  It was uber cool.  

I'm going to restate my experienced offroad opinion that Grand Cherokee is better than Cherokee.

Going used, if you're not super worried about parts availibility/repair cost the Range Rover can be had cheap and is a capable off roader.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top