Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2004 11:08:14 AM EDT
My first attempt ever...came out pretty damn good!!!

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been meaning to try that.  

How did you do it?  Got a website with info?

I've got a big grill I can use to smoke meat with if thats required.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Got  a kit for Christmas. A rack is really all it is. Season it...let it sit 20 hrs or so...put it in the oven at 190 for a couple of hours...learned alot on AR15 also.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I got to try that sometime Im too cheap to pay $1 an ounce for jerky.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What cut of beef did you use?  What seasonings?

I used the seasonings that came with the kit...I'm sure there's alot better types. It was a real expensive top round sirloin Angus crap...It was in the freezer and I said screw it..."Its jerky time...stuff's tender as hell.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn,now my mouth is watering for beef jerky.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like you got it under control.

We like to start with about a 2-4 pound eye of round roast.  We have done some with deer meat-leg.

We stick it in the freezer and get it semi frozen.  It is easiler to cut it when it is stiff.  Cut it in thin pieces against the grain.

We have our own marinade.  It usually takes about 10-12 hours to cure out.  Lots of cracked pepper corns are on mine.  Yummy!

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I just did a batch of buffalo jerky last night...$6.50/lb. And yummy as he((!
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks awesome.  I've been wanting to give this a try.  Guess I'll hit up the search.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#10]
i've made alot of jerky. using both the stove and cheap dehydrater. i've used all sorts of cuts of beef and just did venison for the first time this year. i also picked up a cheap recipe cd off ebay how to make jecky 365 different ways. i think i payed $1 for it. try some premade seasoning too mountain man mix they make like 8 or 9 types and even more if you want to try turkey or fish.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#11]
new2ar ok where you get the meat so cheap it's 18 dollars a pound were i'm at.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Looks like you got it under control.

We like to start with about a 2-4 pound eye of round roast.  We have done some with deer meat-leg.

We stick it in the freezer and get it semi frozen.  It is easiler to cut it when it is stiff.  Cut it in thin pieces against the grain.
We have our own marinade.  It usually takes about 10-12 hours to cure out.  Lots of cracked pepper corns are on mine.  Yummy!

I've always cut it with the grain.  Doesn't it crumble easily if you cut it with the grain?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Did another batch today. A wet marinade with garlic, teriyaki sauce, onion powder. Used a london broil...damn stuff came out good. Trying a batch with the same stuff, with worstichire sauce instead of the teriyaki sauce.I think I found my calling in life. I will build a Jerky stand on my dead-end street...I'll make millions!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:40:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Did another batch today. A wet marinade with garlic, teriyaki sauce, onion powder. Used a london broil...damn stuff came out good. Trying a batch with the same stuff, with worstichire sauce instead of the teriyaki sauce.I think I found my calling in life. I will build a Jerky stand on my dead-end street...I'll make millions!!!!!

I don't have time to make jerky anymore...Im too busy making that Chicken Paprikash stuff you got my hooked on. Dammit you!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#15]
we make some deer jerky.. we just use a jerky gun (looks like a caulking gun), mix up some ground venison with some powdered jerky seasoning, let that sit over night, put that stuff in the gun, squeeze it onto strips on the dehydrator, and dehydrate for god knows how long.. tasty shit
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I love beef jerky
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:27:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
we make some deer jerky.. we just use a jerky gun (looks like a caulking gun), mix up some ground venison with some powdered jerky seasoning, let that sit over night, put that stuff in the gun, squeeze it onto strips on the dehydrator, and dehydrate for god knows how long.. tasty shit

Jerky guns are great. I would much rather use up all my ground game than other good cuts of meat. They also make great snack sticks if you have a round attachment.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Jerky and Sausage have become a second hobby for me. If you've been meaning to try out making your own jerky, next time your at WalMart check in the sporting goods section. They sell a book called "America's Favorite Wild Game Recipes". This book has lots of info on getting started with jerky and sausage, I recommend it.

Also try using Morton Tender Quick curing salt in your jerky. Try here for more info:

www.mortonsalt.com/consumer/products/foodsalts/tenderquick.htm

Here are a few sites I order from with info and equipment:

www.psseasoning.com/

www.butcher-packer.com/index.asp

This one has an excellent recipe and info/tip pull down menu right on the home page:

www.alliedkenco.com/store.htm

Have fun!

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Well done!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Cool, thanks for the links.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
new2ar ok where you get the meat so cheap it's 18 dollars a pound were i'm at.

Believe it or not, we have an "upscale" grocery store right down the street from us. They have buffalo from time to time in the meat case. The Price ranges from $4/lb. for ground to $12/lb for ribeye and fillets. I guess I should consider myself lucky huh?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]
yep pretty lucky seems in a small town in farm area meat along with produce is bloody expensive i miss the local fruit market from the chicago area were i come from. use to get some good cuts of meat pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I take deer and cut it with the grain in strips, and season with the American Harvest seasoning from Wal-Mart.... I toss it in a large Tupperware, add a little water to make the flavor go around, sprinkle with ground Red Cayanne pepper, a hit of soy, a sprinkle of Lowry seasoning, and a hit of maple syrup.

Then dry on the dehydrator, straight to freezer bag while hot, and into fridge, and allow moisture to condense.  

Boys at work are vultures when I bring it in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top