Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2004 9:15:52 AM EDT
Yup, their position is thanks, but no thanks... we can handle our own problems concerning the tsunami!

Good for them!

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1310294/posts
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#1]
GOOD!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for them.  As much business as we're sending there (and as many Indians as we have here to send money back), they should be able to manage without too much outside assistance.

They can send all those Dell customer 'support' operators to help.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Good.Now maybe all the whining liberals on this site will quit asking us and america to send money and aid our country doesn't have to send.
I am really tired of the bleeding heartd tyring to give "MY" money away.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#4]
here's my thoughts....."no further aid?.......consider it done"    FUCK EM...it may sound inhumane of me.....but FUCK EM....i give a rat's ass about those ever defiant bastards.  one has to stop and think....if there were some sort of HUGE natural disaster in America...would we receive aid from some other country??  did Southeast Asia send money when Florida was riddled w/ hurricanes earlier this year??  so to close.....FUCK EM!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#5]
[DUh] Bush made them say that so it would make us not look so bad for offering so little help! It's all Bush's fault! [/DUh]
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
[DUh] Bush made them say that so it would make us not look so bad for offering so little help! It's all Bush's fault! [/DUh]

SSSSHHHH!!!! dont put ideas into their heads!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#7]
good.
about time we stop giving our money away anyways!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Kind of refreshing ............ for a change.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#9]
OMG, there's another country out there that has ambitions beyond mooching off of us for the next century.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yup, their position is thanks, but no thanks... we can handle our own problems concerning the tsunami!

No.

Our buddy Hokie INSISTS we send money

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe they saw my posts ...................
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#12]
F'm and feed em fish
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
here's my thoughts....."no further aid?.......consider it done"    FUCK EM...it may sound inhumane of me.....but FUCK EM....i give a rat's ass about those ever defiant bastards.  one has to stop and think....if there were some sort of HUGE natural disaster in America...would we receive aid from some other country??  did Southeast Asia send money when Florida was riddled w/ hurricanes earlier this year??  so to close.....FUCK EM!

Other countries really can't win with this crowd.

They are either money grubbing leaches when the accept handouts, or "defiant bastards" when they do not.  Maybe India realizes other countries in the area are worse off, have less resources, and are doing what they feel is best overall for the places effected?
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are either money grubbing leaches when the accept handouts, or "defiant bastards" when they do not.  Maybe India realizes other countries in the area are worse off, have less resources, and are doing what they feel is best overall for the places effected?

Adam, sometimes i think you just like to be "the other guy"  you NEVER tend to agree w/ much posted around here...is it that you just like to be the oddball? or are you just argumentative?  all ive done above is state MY opinion.  ive been...as you know...to MANY of these shithole countries...and the majority of the people in them...wouldnt piss on you to put you out if you were on fire.....so why do you feel...in this instance...so obligated to run to their aid? i sure as hell feel no obligation to them. we have our OWN problems here at home that i think we should be adressing FIRST.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#15]
on the other hand, (tinfoil hat on)
Somebody in india may have decided that since forced sterilizations drew to much fire over there. That this tsunami thing is the next best thing. It won't draw nearly as much bad pr.

just a random thought.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Kind of refreshing ............ for a change.

Yep.

About time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#17]
India wants to be taken seriously as a great power.  Great powers don't solicit aid from other nations.  You can expect them to try to handle the situation themselves as well as to push for UN security concil membership in the future.  Of course, this probably has more to do with domestic politics and the Tamil Tigers on Sri Lanka as it does with soverignity issues.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Did I say you how much I like Indians.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Adam, sometimes i think you just like to be "the other guy"  you NEVER tend to agree w/ much posted around here...is it that you just like to be the oddball? or are you just argumentative?  all ive done above is state MY opinion.  ive been...as you know...to MANY of these shithole countries...and the majority of the people in them...wouldnt piss on you to put you out if you were on fire.....so why do you feel...in this instance...so obligated to run to their aid? i sure as hell feel no obligation to them. we have our OWN problems here at home that i think we should be adressing FIRST.

The question here is why don't you feel a little bit of pride/admiration that the Indians are looking like they are doing their level best to buck up and deal with it?
After all, we consider it an American trait, but it doesn't have to be uniquely American.
They are basically a 3rd world country who has a good amount of industrialization, and suddenly they have 100,000 bodies to deal with and they want to man up and handle it.  They know that they can have a huge amount of money and help just by asking for it, but they want to use their own resources and abilities.
If they pull this off with minimum additional loss of life, they are going to have my respect.
We've had help throughout the years from many countries, but we didn't become the best by depending upon that help.  We did it ourselves.

ya may have missed my point DF....i never said it wasnt prideful of them to handle their own disaster relief....my point was its not OUR responsibility.  more power to them for wanting to deal w/ it themselves. it DOES inspire pride....when it somehow becomes American's responsibility.....thats when i have issues.  thats the problem w/ America today....we seem to feel some sort of uncontrolable need to be the world's police/fire/rescue force.....how long before so many countries are depending on us that we forget to take care of ourselves...Americans?  if anything..i think MORE countries should follow India's lead!!  
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When the Borg mindset kicks in, I simply enjoy pointing out the faulty logic.

There has been A LOT of that here lately.

I suppose I could just chime in with "+1" but I prefer to think for myself, thank you very much.

Ironically, this from a board that likes to make fun of "sheeple."
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Did I say you how much I like Indians.....

[WC Fields] ...when they are properly cooked....[/WC Fields]

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suppose I could just chime in with "+1" but I prefer to think for myself, thank you very much.

i'm not chiming in or agreeing w/ anyone, i'm speaking my mind....and a Borg like mindset?? come on man..i'm just not some bleeding heart that thinks its America's responsibility to run to someone's aid everytime some other country skins a knee or has their hand out.  i dont pay ever increasing taxes to make sure Ali Bin Muslim or Hakim Hindu can have their homes rebuilt after a natural disaster.....if i wanted to help someone in need, i'd start here at home in America.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The question here is why don't you feel a little bit of pride/admiration that the Indians are looking like they are doing their level best to buck up and deal with it?
After all, we consider it an American trait, but it doesn't have to be uniquely American.
They are basically a 3rd world country who has a good amount of industrialization, and suddenly they have 100,000 bodies to deal with and they want to man up and handle it.  They know that they can have a huge amount of money and help just by asking for it, but they want to use their own resources and abilities.
If they pull this off with minimum additional loss of life, they are going to have my respect.
We've had help throughout the years from many countries, but we didn't become the best by depending upon that help.  We did it ourselves.

ya may have missed my point DF....i never said it wasnt prideful of them to handle their own disaster relief....my point was its not OUR responsibility.  more power to them for wanting to deal w/ it themselves. it DOES inspire pride....when it somehow becomes American's responsibility.....thats when i have issues.  thats the problem w/ America today....we seem to feel some sort of uncontrolable need to be the world's police/fire/rescue force.....how long before so many countries are depending on us that we forget to take care of ourselves...Americans?  if anything..i think MORE countries should follow India's lead!!  

I took the liberty of highlighting the problem phrases in your first response.

from the standpoint of a tax payer and an American that sees homeless people in the streets everyday...i DONT give an shit about these people.....why should my tax dollars be misguided and diverted to help THEM when there are people here at home in need??  but..the Indians...having "cowboy'd up" if you will.....well that demands respect.....i dont have to give a shit about them....but i respect them for their decision...can you not understand that??
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding, no matter WHAT you do, some of these people are never happy.

Giving them aid thier greedy.

Offering and refusing thier"Defiant Basterds"

Talk about "Damned if you do and Damned if you dont"
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
i'm not chiming in or agreeing w/ anyone, i'm speaking my mind....and a Borg like mindset?? come on man..i'm just not some bleeding heart that thinks its America's responsibility to run to someone's aid everytime some other country skins a knee or has their hand out.  i dont pay ever increasing taxes to make sure Ali Bin Muslim or Hakim Hindu can have their homes rebuilt after a natural disaster.....if i wanted to help someone in need, i'd start here at home in America.  

I don't necessarily think that it is the responsibility of the American government to provide aid, although most Americans probably approve of that use of their tax dollars.

I do think that it is MY (personal) responsibility as a Christian to offer assistance to those in need.  Of course that isn't as much fun as saying f*** 'em.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet when a country decides that they do not want to ask for help, you call them "ever defiant bastards."  If what you now say is true, you should have joined NYPatriot in CONGRATULATING India.  Instead, your exact words were, "FUCK EM."

Ever since the tsunami, the amount of zenophobic, borderline racist, alarmist BS has tripled on this board.  I will continue to call BS when I see it, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't necessarily think that it is the responsibility of the American government to provide aid, although most Americans probably approve of that use of their tax dollars.

I do think that it is MY (personal) responsibility as a Christian to offer assistance to those in need.  Of course that isn't as much fun as saying f*** 'em.

not THIS American...lets start helping out our OWN w/ that money!!  you people have totally missed my point obviously
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#31]
During the Hurricane threads, many people from states other than those hit were complaining about federal aid to those states.

I can't help but believe that there is more to this than a desire to keep American money in America.

Sometimes, I think some of you look forward to a huge natural disaster where you can gloat at how people suffer while you have your survivalist wet dream house - unharmed, of course, in your fantasy - so you can gloat while the rest of the people suffer.  The old "I got mine" mentality.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet when a country decides that they do not want to ask for help, you call them "ever defiant bastards."  If what you now say is true, you should have joined NYPatriot in CONGRATULATING India.  Instead, your exact words were, "FUCK EM."

Ever since the tsunami, the amount of zenophobic, borderline racist, alarmist BS has tripled on this board.  I will continue to call BS when I see it, thank you very much.

i'm begining to see where you veered off on your little tangent.....the "defiant bastards" comment.....i wasnt speaking of just India in this instance...i was speaking of that whole region in GENERAL.  Southeast Asia and the Middle east  are two of the most volatile regions in the world...always have been.  you read into things alot more than you should Adam.  and here...how about this...if its so hard for you to believe that i think the money would be of more use here at home...how about putting it towards better gear and research to DEVELOP better gear for our troops who are fighting in Iraq??  see my point? is it a little clearer now?? i can think of SEVERAL ways that aid money could be better spent on the well being of Americans IN or FIGHTING FOR America.  thanks for your time and this little debate.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'm begining to see where you veered off on your little tangent.....the "defiant bastards" comment.....i wasnt speaking of just India in this instance...i was speaking of that whole region in GENERAL.  Southeast Asia and the Middle east  are two of the most volatile regions in the world...always have been.  try so hard not to read into things Adam.  and here...how about this...if its so hard for you to believe that i think the money would be of more use here at home...how about putting it towards better gear and research to DEVELOP better gear for our troops who are fighting in Iraq??  see my point? is it a little clearer now?? i can think of SEVERAL ways that aid money could be better spent on the well being of Americans IN or FIGHTING FOR America.  thanks for your time and this little debate.  

Styk, old buddy it was the "defiant bastards" part and the three FUCKEMs that gave us the impression you were trashing India

again DF...i wasnt singling out India.....i'd like to drop a nuke on that whole REGION! for the better of man kind.  thanks.   edited to clarify not so much the Hindus....moreso the Musllim extremests.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#35]
WTH has India ever done to us that they should earn such disrespect. I think that with this recent event, they are displaying personal accountability that I find admirable. They don't need outside help and they are not taking it. I think it is great that they are stepping up to the plate and helping out others even when they themselves have been kicked in the gut. India is an up and comer and I am glad that they are capable of helping others while taking care of thier own. Other than the U.S. I don't think any other country would do such a thing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Just another step on their way to becoming a superpower.  Superpowers don't need relief aid.

That is India's eventual goal; they are doing it very carefully and very prudently, and very well.

Whether they and the US will turn out to have mutual or exclusive interests once they reach their goal is yet to be determined.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Just another step on their way to becoming a superpower.  Superpowers don't need relief aid.

That is India's eventual goal; they are doing it very carefully and very prudently, and very well.

Whether they and the US will turn out to have mutual or exclusive interests once they reach their goal is yet to be determined.

I, for one, would like to see India replace France on the UN Security Council.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I, for one, would like to see India replace France on the UN Security Council.

Even THAT was given to the friggen ungrateful bastards. They didn't deserve it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or maybe they don't want to feel like they "owe" us any favors.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Gotta say it again... I like Inda's attitude of self-reliance:

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1318236/posts

NEW DELHI, JANUARY 10: Reinforcing the message that it is fully capable of dealing with the domestic consequences of the tsunami on its own, India politely turned down a request last week from the U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan to visit Tamil Nadu.

After attending the tsunami summit in Jakarta last Thursday, Annan has been visiting the badly affected regions in Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Maldives. Annan’s office apparently expressed a desire on the part of the Secretary General to see relief work in India.

The Manmohan Singh government, which has been discouraging its own ministers from travelling to the tsunami-affected areas, was in no mood to have a high-profile international visitor like Kofi Annan adding to burden of the local administration.

It is also being pointed out that once the doors are opened to one foreign visitor, there will be no end to similar requests from other international personalities.

More important, the government is determined to stay with the message that no foreign involvement is necessary in the massive relief effort under way in various states.

Following the tsunami strike, New Delhi had rejected offers of assistance from other governments.

Amidst widespread criticism of its policy, the government clarified that it had adequate resources to deal with the immediate task of relief and that it would consider taking international aid when it comes to reconstruction and modernisation of coastal infrastructure.

The government also made it clear that contributions to the non-governmental organisations in India would be permitted. It also said India’s long-standing partnership with the UN agencies already working in India on humanitarian assistance would continue.

Sources here insist that the decision to discourage Annan had nothing to do with the past record of frosty relations between New Delhi and the UNSG.

During his many visits to the United Nations in New York as Prime Minister during 1998-2003, Atal Behari Vajpayee did not meet Annan.

During his maiden visit during September 2004 to the United Nations Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had an amiable and productive meeting with Annan. The decision to turn down Annan’s request to visit Tamil Nadu, sources say, was in consonance with the firm policy decision not to lend any international dimension to the tsunami relief effort at home.

Annan has wound up his travel today in Male, the capital of Maldives. He is heading to Geneva where an international conference convened by the United Nations will discuss aid commitments to the tsunami-affected nations.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Good, wondering whats up?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Thats the way it should be.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Somewhat good to see.

Im not going to say further to keep from causing trouble.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

snip

BAAHHHHH HAAA HAAA AHAAAAA!!!

Excellent! I was wondering when someone was going to say something this intelligent!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#45]
It is probabaly because it only take about $100 to rebuild their entire city.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#46]
They have been slow getting aid out to the Andaman and Nicobar island chains.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top