Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2001 4:22:08 PM EDT
There have been a few gun designers in history that have made a lasting impression with there gun design; Mauser, Stoner, Walker, ect...but none will hold a candle to the MAN.. John Browning. Practly all of Winchester's lever actions, Highpower, 1911, BMG, Auto shotgun ect....the list goes on. Just imagine what he could have dreamed up if he had access to AutoCad and some CNC equipment!

Whose your pick?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree, John Browning
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Browning by a mile.  Don't know about the benefit of design tools to a true innovator.  There's a certain limiting effect with the computer tools.  Browning's depth of innovation and speed of evolution were truly amazing.  The man had a true feel for the physics of firearm design.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
John Moses Browning

End Of Discussion.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
John Moses Browning,is the greatest firearms inventor the world has known! What is amazing about Browning is that while other gun inventors hold a place in history for inventing a style or type of firearm that revolutionized firearms developement, Browning has done it in several, pistol, shotgun, rifle, and automatic weapons. Also different types of actions, lever, auto, single shot, pump. If you ever get a chance to read his biography do it. I have it in my collection and am feeling the urge to read it again for about the fifth time.
Tuco
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree Browning gave us the modern gas operated semi-auto as we know it. Mauser designed the bolt-action every hunter grabs and knows. Stoner the modern Assualt Rifle every army in the world has a knock off of some variant now. (AK is the exception which is a knock of the MP44 no matter what Mr. AK  has to say about it)  Three of these four men are no longer alive, they really and trully helped firearm design. But you know... Weapon design is in a real slump these days and without another war (Likely but not hopeful) Men like these wouldn't have really been able to develop the weapons they did. In that context Browning had the two biggest wars to develop for.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Browning. No nonsense about Gaston Glock, Kalashnikov or Mauser, this guy worked with every sort of firearms, and his desings persist today, and not by chance. He accomplished more for the design and concepts of today's modern firearms, than any other gun designer. Show me any other person who has done half as much as Browning, and I'll be surprised. There are other designers of note, but none like Browning.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps not the best, but certainly underated: the happy little Krauts at Heckler & Koch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
All of the names mentioned made lasting contributions to firearms design for sure.

But, they all stand in the very long shadow of [b]JOHN MOSES BROWNING[/b].

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Like it's even close...

John Browning, hands down.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I would also agree with John Browning as first choice.  I'll also throw in Fritz Walther, son of Carl Walther.  Fritz took his father's company and came up with the great designs of the PP, PPK, and the P.38.

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://www.m1911.org/images/jmbrown.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Did a powerpoint presentation/report on him my Jr. year in High school.  John Mosus Browning. Hands down. Surprisingly my teacher let my choose him, and on top of that I got an A on the report. [:)]

rkbar15, that was the cover picture for my report.

This was one of the others of the master.
[img]http://www.browningint.com/Company/Images/JMBvieux.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#14]
rkbar15,
You beat me to it. I was gonna post that pic too. [;)]
- bricklayer

edited because i'd like to thank JMB for my auto5!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Bill Ruger, because he designed my 10/22.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Bill Ruger, because he designed my 10/22.
View Quote

Gonna have to call you here, 'cause he also invented and lobbied the hicap magazine ban. He's no hero, and most of his guns are clunky anyhoo.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#17]
If an outsider were reading this thread they would think it was dedicated to [b]JOHN M BROWNING[/B]

And they would be rightly correct!!!

Got my vote. Hands down.

Yours truly  1911

[%(]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gonna have to call you here, 'cause he also invented and lobbied the hicap magazine ban. He's no hero, and most of his guns are clunky anyhoo.

Juggernaut[%(]
View Quote

I only have a 10 round factory magazine and 2 speedloaders for my .38. That is all I can afford.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Todd Bailey of Special Weapons:
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1567996&a=11958523&p=43011690&Sequence=0[/img]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps not the best, but certainly underated: the happy little Krauts at Heckler & Koch.
View Quote

[b] Well the CETME roller lock was Spanish Germans not H&K [/b]

View Quote

Well, Germans going to Spain to manufacture guns in a post-WWII environment are still Germans in my book.

So I say that makes the roller lock a H&K German design, since the same guys designed it, but maybe I'm a bit biased...
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Dittos JMB.

No one else is even close for the long term effect on firearms designs. Nearly every gun in production has "some" of Browning in it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Dont know his nane but he's the dude that made the plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Didnt think Mr Browning would have any competition.[spank]

Check out  http://www.1919a4.com/rapidfire/. For $1350.00 you get a new semi-auto air cooled 1919a4 in 308 win, cloth belt or links and a hard case. They are on sale till June 30th. Part of the procedes help keep their website up and running.

They got alot of cool pics. Nice website!
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.m1911.org/images/jmbrown.jpg[/img]
View Quote

NO DOUBT

on tv i saw a guy that does tattos of famous artwork like mona lisa or whatever, i might have to get a tat of the above image.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I couldn't pass on this one.  BROTHER BROWNING!!!  Just finished reading a biography on him this week.  What an absolute animal.  Too bad age got the best of him-- who knows what we'd be shooting if he was around for another 10-20 years.

If you get a chance, you should read "John M. Browning American Gunmaker," by John Browning and Curt Gentry.  It's a great read and there are lots of pics at the end.  

fuatos

Long live the name and creations of John Moses Browning!!!

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#27]
THis is one post that is all together [b]JOHN MOSES BROWNING[/b] that was a greatest gun designer of all time hands down. did you know that he spent his spare time beating the shit out of trouble maker's. oh yea! i heard he was really strong. has for Bill ruger PALEEZE: Give me a break. anybody can use investment casting's
like S.W. does and calls themself's true gun designer's.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Gotta say it has to be Mr. Browning.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#29]
If we ever have a Utah shoot you will have to check out the museum at the old train station in Ogden.  My family was ready to kill me because I spent so much time there when my Parents came to visit.  His workshop made mine look capable of space shuttle production!  He is the wizard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]
SHAME ON ALL OF YOU...I cant believe that in a forum of this nature there is no mention of the late-great Ugene Stoner. A top-notch designer, bar-none! In a time when most guns were made of steel and wood, he was leading the way in moders firearms manufactoring using alloys and high grade polymers. His designs include M-16, AR10's, plus a few variations of his "stoner" series of rifles now brought back to life by Robinson Arms. Need I mentiond the AR18, a firearm viewed by many small arms experts as superb. In addition, the AR18's operating system was so advanced for its time, that it was adopted by Heckler & Koch in thier superb  G-36 assault rifle. Arguably a firearm clearly above the rest and now in service with the German Army. Speaking of Heckler & Kock, even though the original delayed rolling-lock system was patented by Cetme of Spain. The original use of such a system was pioneered by the HEERESWAFFENAMT; otherwise known as the German Army Weapons Department. First seen in thier MG-42, a world class light squad automatic the likes which the world has yet to best.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Saint Browning without a doubt

Eugene Stoner would be next on my list followed by the designer at Mauser

Gaston Glock gets an honorable mention.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#32]
The Mausers, the MG34, the MG42, the luger, the Walther P-38, the MP-38/40, the STG-44,
the G-43. If I have to pick the best, It would be one of the guys who designed these.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Easy!

1.Browning

2.Colt

3. Stoner

4. Glock

5. Mauser

6. Kalishnikov

7. Ruger
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#34]
In the broad sense of firearm design there probably will never be another man as innovative, or be able to accomplish what John Moses Browning has in a lifetime.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
SHAME ON ALL OF YOU...I cant believe that in a forum of this nature there is no mention of the late-great Ugene Stoner. A top-notch designer, bar-none!
View Quote

Stoner, was no doubt a genius.  He gets my utmost respect as an engineer/ designer however; to say he is in the same ballpark as JMB is not even close.  The effect Browning's designs had on the firearms industry and the world are unsurpassed.  

Shame on us?  I think NOT!!

O, and jomeokee, you need to throw Hiram Maxim in somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Browning is in the league of someone like Da Vinci or Beethoven or Einstein --- you name some others.

What I mean is that so much from one man is a rare occurrence in History.  They only come along  once in awhile, but, they contribute to the world in huge quantities and great quality.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey no one's mentioned Brigadier General John Taliaferro Thompson yet. The man that made the twenties roar!

[img]www.tommygun.com/images/john_thompson.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Browning, second place is so far back he thinks he in front.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#39]
John Browning by a landslide! You're right; if he had todays' technology..........
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Nobody has designed more firearm operating systems that are still in use today than the king....

[red]John Moses Browning[red]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#41]
we salute u JMB!
just look at the 1911 probly the most copyed gun ever made with the AK trailing behind
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:49:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Everyone knows it's the dude who created the Tec-9 six o'clock evening news gun.

John Browning!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#43]
What about Silas Maxim?

He gave us the first true Machine Guns, which influenced all automatic weapons and he invented the firearms silencer (so he wouldn't disturb his neighbors).

There was also an Imperial Russian Artilery officer named Fedorov who designed the first true assualt rifle ever fielded by an army, the Fedorov, a select-fire, detachable box rifle chambered for 6.5mm Swedish circa about 1916.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#44]
A couple of points to make about the great John Browning. Although there are a few others mentioned in this topic who have done great things in firearm history, most of them studied and were educated in schools of higher learning. JMB was raised on the frontier, his education came from working in the blacksmith shop with his Dad. JMB could not give a detailed schematic of his guns. He made them first let somebody else draw them. He also did not need 2 great wars, with out the World Wars he still would lead the list. Browning patents for military weapons is such a small percentage of the total number of patents he designed. When he brought his first machine gun to the military to show them, they were amazed to learn that he did not know that there was already a gun made that fired full auto!
The book about him is a must read for those interested in firearms and the history.
Tuco
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#45]
John Browning, and I agree with the above post,his biography is fascinating
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Big B:
Nobody has designed more firearm operating systems that are still in use today than the king....

[red]John Moses Browning[red]
View Quote

...that's only in america!
kalashnikovs are used all over the world, something like twice as many ak's in the world vs. M16's.

Browning was the man, but SAM COLT is a close second! Gene Stoner right behind.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#47]
OK, Browning probably takes it, but what about Gerald Bull, the Canadian who was assasinated because parties unknown feared his supergun concept?  Certainly he's a few million short of a production record, but that was one heckuva big gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#48]
you can say what you want about designers..but without Eli Whitney (or someone of equal genius) none of this would have happend
[url]http://www.eliwhitney.org/ew.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Another vote for John Moses Browning!!!

[img]http://www.frenchu.com/tpg/pix/fnbaby25.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.frenchu.com/tpg/pix/M2_BMG.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top