BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/27/2004 1:50:10 PM EDT

Winston_Wolf's little corner of the Internet and waste of bandwidth

BBC "Venom" Chopper Assembly Log

Big Bear Choppers - "Venom" (softail)

... I hope to chronicle the process over the more significant, main events until complete. This is something I've wanted to do all my adult life. Really want "to ride" soon, but not nearly as much as I want the bike to come together correctly.

December 27, 2004

... Woo Hoo, the clock officially starts. BBC just called me and said my kit is ready to pick up. A nasty winter storm is blowing in over Big Bear Lake, CA (mountainous) tomorrow, so I'll drive up the mountain Friday to pick up the kit. I hope she will look a lot like this only black. BBC VENOM

December 31, 2004

... Whew, what a harrowing (710 mi) turn-around trip to Big Bear Lake, CA. and back to Mesa, AZ. A blizzard moved into the San Bernardino mountains this morning and CHP didn't want to let me pass C18 to get on top of the mountain, but I completed their snowstorm "driving test" (prove to me you have 4WD). Finally got there and loaded up the kit, signed invoice and headed off the mountain (post haste) on the north side this time. I was never so happy to see the desert. Icy road driving is nerve wracking and hair-raising enough without your chopper kit in back!

... She's unpacked and safe in the basement now. I'm too beat to do a thorough inventory, but it looks like all is there. Big bear Choppers are easy to work with. They just want you to get your chopper on the road. Now the fun begins!

... I need a drink! Happy New Year my bruthas & sistahs

January 04, 2005

... Been a bit under the weather, which can sap your motivation (damn CA snowstorm anyway). Took the opportunity to do a thorough inventory; even opening up sub-systems boxes to scrutinize contents closer. So far I'm really impressed with the show-quality aluminum polish work. Had the opportunity to "dry-fit" the engine & tranny. I need to do some work on the tranny prior to rigging the open BDL primary. Lot's-0-work ahead of me, but I'm a giddy as a schoolboy on Christmas morning, anxious to build it. Having tires & wheels mounted tomorrow and hope to get the front end done by end of the week (if I feel better).

January 11, 2005

... Been a productive and busy week, but I had my first real "bad news" so-to-speak . Apparently my swingarm is missing an internal snap-ring groove. This groove should have been machined in as to not allow for the pivot bearing to back out. Awaiting the factory's response for a corrective action. Unfortunately, the black powdercoat finish came out great, sure hate to have to re-coat because of this mess.

Great news! (01/12/05) - BBC discontinued the internal snap (retainer) ring design. It was redundant on top of a press fit and main bolt - w00t! I'm one happy MF!

... Upside, most every thing else is moving along well. The frame is looking great and the entire front end is nearly done. (good pics to follow soon )

January 15, 2005

... Had a good day.

• Powdercoat done

• Swingarm complete
  •  
  • Front end complete

• Wheels & tires mounted
  •  
  • Frame / swingarm mated up

• ... time for a drink and to stare at her for an hour! This is a lot of fun but does have its moments of aggravation.

January 20, 2005

... She's actually starting to look a bit like a motorcycle and not just a pile of parts. Truth is, I have far more work ahead of me than I have behind. Considering graduating from a beer after-hours to a Valium® . No real setbacks, other than SANGUINE found an error in an assembly that I had to re-do (thanks little brother )

January 26, 2005

... slow week - all mocked up

February 06, 2005

... Took a short break from posting on ARFCOM to "Git R Dun" on my project. I fucked off @ SHOT Show in Vegas last week-end (W00t!) but got a dose of flu bug, so I been struggling a bit to work on the project.

... As far as the over all effort, I'd say I'm over the hump (midway) now. Since last post:

• Rigged engine & tranny together with BDL open primary

• Correctly shimmed any minor gaps out prior to torquing eng & trans

• Installed stator and charging system

• Assembled clutch basket and front primary drive pulley

• Assembled both w/3" belt drive (a bitch!)

• ... Even though I'm feeling miseable, this too will pass. All in all I'm quite happy tonight.

February 24, 2005

... tin painted

... finishing brakes & clutch cable now

February 25, 2005

... ready for wiring & plumbing this week

... If time allows, brakes and front fender too

February 28, 2005

... Today is a major milestone, all my major sub-assemblies are complete. I'm finally to the point where I can do no more in the basement (notice where she's pointed ) If I did, I would have to knock a wall out to get it out. Forward controls, carburetor/airfilter and even the handle bars all pose obstacles getting out of the house - so it's time to cut her loose.

... Tomorrow, I'll begin finishing the remaining work in a good friend/neighbor's kick-ass shop he has set-up for automotive & bike work. This week I hope to finish the brake-lines and plumbing oilbag/motor.

... It is getting warm in AZ, I would really like to be done by Bike Week which commences one month from tonight! w00t!

... Who keeps their chopper in their barroom?!?!

March 03, 2005

... Logistics getting her out of the basement and into the garage were a bit more tricky than I expected. To be continued.

March 06, 2005

... Took a couple days to make a place for her in the garage when finished. There were shelves there Friday. Installed a light overhead (not on), painted the walls and a red racing stripe for the hell of it. Also sealed the concrete with an epoxy sealer. Doing a through-wall concrete anchor to lock her up when I'm not home. And yes, the Caddy still fits in there too!

March 07, 2005

... My buddy mounted shocks, mounted and aligned front & rear brakes.

March 08, 2005

... I forgot to remove a clutch adjustment pin in the tranny used in cases where there's no BDL open primary - needed a special one supplied that I overlooked. Had to install clutch cable anyway so it wasn't too big a setback.

March 16, 2005

... Complete systems check tonight. Finally - She runs!

... Sounds bad assed, runs like a sewing machine. Tuned the exhaust and timing - dead on balls!

... Come on Arizona Bike Week!  www.azbikeweek.com/ www.haciendacustoms.com/realdeal/RRE.htm

March 18, 2005

... Maiden voyage this weekend - wish me luck!

March 27, 2005

... Done, finally - Licensed, registered, insured and runs like a raped ape

… Took eleven weeks from the day I took delivery of the kit.

... Thank you all for the kind words, compliments and support.

… A few thoughts about the project if you’re considering doing your own.

• Perform a thorough inventory and catalog your hardware.
  •  
  • Pay meticulous attention to rigging the motor, tranny & belt drive in the frame.

• A nice hydraulic workstand is a must, all tools for assembly are mandatory.

• Don’t rush your work, you’ll just end up undoing something wrong. Don’t work angry.

• Pay particular attention to any metal that eventually gets powder-coated or painted, once done, there’s no going back to smooth out surface blemishes.

• If you get frustrated, stop working and go for a walk.

• If you’re confounded by some attribute with the build, call the manufacturer – they’ll get you back on track. I had to at least a half dozen times.

• A good friend that has an accredited certificate in motorcycle maintenance and repair with his own set-up in his garage at home is worth his weight in gold.

• Handle the polished aluminum and chrome with utmost care, tape off parts when assembling to prevent scratches.
  • Dealing with AZ DOT for licensing and registration sucks ass.

• When you think you’re complete, re-torque everything again and do a thorough “pre-flight” prior to taking her on the road.

• Upon completing your maiden voyage, scrutinize at every connection, every fastener, every wire, all hoses and tires.

• Make sure you have enough gas on your maiden voyage, it’s kinda embarrassing sitting on the side of road, next to a nice chopper, on an empty tank – don’t ask me how I know.

… If you do it, make it a fun project. It will be very rewarding and satisfying to you when complete.

USE YOUR AUDIO

Thanks, that’s all. Now on to my next project!
    Link Posted: 12/27/2004 1:55:40 PM EDT
    [#1]
    Are you painting it yourself?   I live in SLC, UT and own and run a Custom Paint Shop called "Tricked Out Customs", I specialize in custom paintwork on motorcycles, choppers, etc.   Do you need a paintjob done?
    Link Posted: 12/27/2004 1:56:59 PM EDT
    [#2]

Quoted:
    ... Do you need a paintjob done?

... I will indeed, IM inbound, Thanks
    Link Posted: 12/27/2004 2:02:35 PM EDT
    [#3]
    Link Posted: 12/27/2004 2:08:27 PM EDT
    [#4]
    Winston_Wolf, you suck!!!!

Oh, and TAG because I'm jealous!!!!
    Link Posted: 12/27/2004 2:13:56 PM EDT
    [#5]

Quoted:
    Tagaroo...I'm dying to see this.

Yep
    Link Posted: 12/27/2004 4:20:25 PM EDT
    [#6]

Quoted:

+100
    Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:18:33 AM EDT
    [#7]
    WW, how long do you expect this build to take?

AB
    Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:19:35 AM EDT
    [#8]
    Tagnum Force

Sgatr15
    Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:21:24 AM EDT
    [#9]

Quoted:

AB

... I'm hoping no more than four months, perhaps as quick as two if all goes well.
    Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:22:04 AM EDT
    [#10]
    Is this one of those kits that comes with everything and you put together?
    Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:28:11 AM EDT
    [#11]
    My brother-in-law in Colorado was asking me about building a chopper. I'll send him a link to this thread so he can follow along. Thanks for cutting us in on this, Winston_Wolf. Looking forward to seeing photos and stories of your progress.
    Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:32:38 AM EDT
    [#12]
    Tagity tagity, blap blap blap...............

Good luck!!!!
    Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:50:22 AM EDT
    [#13]
    Looking forward to your progress reports.

mn_308  <-- Yes, I'm envious...
    Link Posted: 12/28/2004 1:15:44 PM EDT
    [#14]
    Good luck with the BBC.

Just so you know beforehand, don't expect half of the pieces to fit the way they are supposed to. A guy that owns a local shop built one, and most of the parts needed some type of re-work to fit and/or function properly. Looks real nice when doe, just took a lot longer than expected.
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:34:48 PM EDT
    [#15]

Quoted:
    Good luck with the BBC.

Just so you know beforehand, don't expect half of the pieces to fit the way they are supposed to. A guy that owns a local shop built one, and most of the parts needed some type of re-work to fit and/or function properly. Looks real nice when doe, just took a lot longer than expected.

... The frame & swing-arm fit the jig perfectly. I am completely confident she'll turn out just fine

(updated photos in original thread)
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:02:37 PM EDT
    [#16]
    To keep chrome pipes from blueing, spray high heat paint inside them. I only say this because the pic bike's pipes are discolored. Always works for me. Ride safe.
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:07:37 PM EDT
    [#17]

Quoted:
    To keep chrome pipes from blueing, spray high heat paint inside them. I only say this because the pic bike's pipes are discolored. Always works for me. Ride safe.

... Ah ha my good man, if nothing else, I'm a fair planner. Got it covered.

... I bought these nifty zero-clearance heat shields that negotiates the first 12" of header bends
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:08:54 PM EDT
    [#18]

Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Tagaroo...I'm dying to see this.

Yep[/quote

Me too
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:12:27 PM EDT
    [#19]
    Tagged to watch the build progress.
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:13:16 PM EDT
    [#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

... I'm hoping no more than four months, perhaps as quick as two if all goes well.

you know better, dont you watch the show?

nothing goes all well

nice rig
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:14:14 PM EDT
    [#21]
    We're gonna need a new "Winston_Wolf shit-eating grin" emoticon after he gets this bike built.

Good Luck and have a LOT of fun putting this together.
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:20:16 PM EDT
    [#22]
    Beta tag

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:23:57 PM EDT
    [#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

you know better, dont you watch the show?

nothing goes all well

nice rig

... Shit man, I engineer and build military fighter/bomber/transport aircraft for a living. This is gonna be a walk in the park bro!
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:47:21 PM EDT
    [#24]
    Sweet.

My little brother is building a Walz Custom bike in February.

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:49:49 PM EDT
    [#25]
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:57:14 PM EDT
    [#26]
    Potato, Potato, Potato, Potato, Potato

Tagged.
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 9:08:03 PM EDT
    [#27]
    Winston_Wolf  

Have you built a bike before?  If not, take your time.  Don't rush your bike.  It'll come together and look great.  

If you get to Daytona, we'll have to get together.  

I've been riding/building Harleys and clones for 36 years.  This is my last build.  Just sold it.  

I have had my 1986 Harley FLHS since 1989.  

Tagged to watch your progress.  

Colt_SBR  
    Link Posted: 12/31/2004 9:08:28 PM EDT
    [#28]

Absolutely tagged. This'll definitely be an interesting thread to keep track of.

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:19:19 PM EDT
    [#29]
    And when your new ride is completed, you can give me your truck!  
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 5:10:47 AM EDT
    [#30]
    Nice detailing on this one (lower right image):

Might be an interesting way to get around the ridiculous taxes and restrictions in Taiwan on larger motorcycles -- they only allowed scooters and 2-stroke cycles, max 150cc, built by local companies until about 2 or 3 years ago;  now, they've finally legalized larger motorcycles, but between high taxes, very few dealers, and legal obstacles for importing your own (to protect the dealers, who pay quite a bit in bribes to the government), the prices are at least double what they are in Japan or the U.S.
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 5:31:00 AM EDT
    [#31]
    Tagged......that bike looks awesome.  Look forward to the progress.
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 8:39:30 AM EDT
    [#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

NOT a flame but,   You have my # if you need any tips.  Good luck.

AB
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:01:11 AM EDT
    [#33]
    I'm just curious, W-W.  Can't quite make it out in the picture - did you decide to go with the RevTech engine or the S&S?
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:12:58 AM EDT
    [#34]
    Where are the girls helping you with the build?
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:21:59 AM EDT
    [#35]
    Ok, I'm seriously jealous!
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:23:28 AM EDT
    [#36]
    I've probably built over 50 Harleys - if there's anything I can help with, please let me know...

My current ride is an '83 FXRS - 93CI, mild rake, and a few other tricks... Sorry, no pics though...

- georgestrings
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:26:00 AM EDT
    [#37]
    See how the rust has already reared its ugly head in your updated photos? That's what I never understood about bike kits. Why can't they spray them with a zinc chromate or other type of primer once they are done welding them up? Yeah, I know that the bike has to be fully prepped before it goes to paint, but why not get a head start on the rust prevention? Simple to do, cheap, and it would make their kits look a hell of a lot better when the customer gets it home.
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:26:13 AM EDT
    [#38]

Quoted:
    I'm just curious, W-W.  Can't quite make it out in the picture - did you decide to go with the RevTech engine or the S&S?

... I opted for the S&S 96" (show polished). Some friends suggested I go for the 113" but it isn't my goal to build a rocket, just a mild TT scooter (if you even think 96" is mild ). I did go with the RevTech 6-speed transmission with a 3" open-primary belt-drive, all show polished components as well.

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:29:07 AM EDT
    [#39]

Quoted:
    See how the rust has already reared its ugly head in your updated photos?

... I rode down the mountain in a snowstorm! Of course she's gonna rust a tad. However, the frame & swing-arm are beefy as hell. That "rust" will be wiped off shortly. You want bare metal when she goes in for powder-coat.
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:29:47 AM EDT
    [#40]
    Taga-laga-ding-dong.
    Link Posted: 1/1/2005 11:25:20 PM EDT
    [#41]
    I have been trying to talk the wife into letting me get one....

My dad only lives a little under a hour  away and is willing to pick it up and  store it for me until I can make the drive down to pick it up...
    Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:08:45 AM EDT
    [#42]
    Will follow tag
    Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:22:51 AM EDT
    [#43]
    Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:34:11 AM EDT
    [#44]
    WHACK!

This thread is tagged.  
    Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:55:12 AM EDT
    [#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
    See how the rust has already reared its ugly head in your updated photos?

... I rode down the mountain in a snowstorm! Of course she's gonna rust a tad. However, the frame & swing-arm are beefy as hell. That "rust" will be wiped off shortly. You want bare metal when she goes in for powder-coat.

For powdercoating, yes. But if you were to want to paint the frame, etc. a coat of zinc chromate (self etching primer that is used on some cars, planes, etc.) from the factory would go a long way towards reventing future paint peel off, with a lot less prep time.

Believe me, I wish you well in your project, but it will not be as simple as 1,2,3, like many people think. Hopefully you know a good deal about bikes and how they go together. Plan on a TON of prep time and lots of time getting stuff to fit together properly. Watch your brake system and make sure it is set up perfect, that is one of the biggest problems on a kit bike.

Good choice on the S&S motor. Rev Tech is pretty much frowned upon due to their lack of QC and overall reliability record. Trannies are a simple build up, so going with R.T. there is fine.
    Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:30:28 AM EDT
    [#46]
    AAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!
    Engineers don't BUILD things!!

My advice? Get a bigger hammer (and a cutting wheel)!!

No really, build it first and then do the finish work/paint.

Looks like a fun project. Good building!

Quoted:
    ... Shit man, I engineer and build military fighter/bomber/transport aircraft for a living. This is gonna be a fucking casual walk in the park bro!

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:30:53 AM EDT
    [#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+100

same here.

I have considered one as well, and only haven't because of the blue-hairs that dominate our roads around here.

That is the style I would love to have.

Nice choice WW, and we will look forward to the process and results.

Congratulations!!
    Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:05:52 AM EDT
    [#48]
    kick ass.. can't wait to see it come together.
    Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:33:15 AM EDT
    [#49]
    Make sure you use anti-seize in the proper places....chrome, aluminum, stainless etc.

Might as well stock up on red and blue loc-tite while your picking up the anti-seize, you will
    need a lot during final assembly.

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:46:42 AM EDT
    [#50]
    tag
    Arrow Left Previous Page
    Page / 4
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top