Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2004 12:33:30 PM EDT
I have a finished but unheated basement, probably around 55-60 degrees F I heat the main floor to 68F when I am home and 63 when away I use a 24+inch golden rod dehumidifier in a safe thats about the size of a Coke machine, it is not firelined. My question is will taking those wepons in and out of the safe cause condensation and premote rust in the long run, or should I stop being a tight ass and heat the basement. Thanks m-dc
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the golden rod should be enough. My rifle teams keeps their equipment at the range. It is an unheated range, and gets down to about 40 during the winter on the inside of the building. It took over a year before rust started to show up. We are planning on installing a couple golden rods in the various safes to keep it from happening again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If your firearms are as valuable to you as mine are to me, then I would heat the basement so that you can quit your worry about rust.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
In the summer, one word, dehumidifier!
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep mine out in the unheated garage. sometimes it gets below 32F. After 4 years it has not been a problem.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
ok but does it really matter as long as humidity and temp are constant, or change somewhat through the seasons, MN.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep a light coating of oil on them. You shouldn't have a problem.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Keep a light coating of oil on them. You shouldn't have a problem.

+1
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Cpl that of course is done, just wondering as the temp in there is diffrent than the temp upstairs where I usually "display"  them on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Fine, been doing that for 9 years now Zero rust. Much more important to control humidity then temp. Lower the temp BTW the less reaction of moisture to metal there is. Only when you go from below freezing to above freezing is there problem with condensation on metal usually. Just oil em up and don't worry.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Dehmidifier in the safe or in the room? Electric or one of the cans? Also I ll take you up on sealing the door a little better and adding a second goldenrod. I am not orerly paranoid, just moved to a new house and the set up is a little diffrent. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#13]
bump
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
VCI emitters... learn it, live it, love it!!!  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#15]
VCI emitters? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? over.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I use 2 golden rods in my safe, its out in the garage
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
VCI emitters? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? over.

Just Google "VCI emitters" & behold the answer to your problems.

I have been using them for a few years & I have nothing but praise for them. They work as advertised.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a bash but dont think that is the ticket  for the long term. Did a quick look 1: price unknown 2: treats 10 sq ft I would need many Ref (Coke machine sized),  3: lasts 24 mos, wont cut it kinda a scatter brain. If my initial assumption is wrong please enlighten. Thanks, m-dc
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Not a bash but dont think that is the ticket  for the long term. Did a quick look 1: price unknown 2: treats 10 sq ft I would need many Ref (Coke machine sized),  3: lasts 24 mos, wont cut it kinda If my initial assumption is wrong please enlighten. Thanks, m-dc

As far as price, shop around. Lots of sites pop up on a Google search. I know some of them list the price (which are reasonable). Emitter cups are avalible in a range of sizes & one will definitely be large enough for your safe (did you calculate the square footage of your safe's interior)?

As for you being a " a scatter brain"... well I can't help you there. Sorry.    
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not a bash but dont think that is the ticket  for the long term. Did a quick look 1: price unknown 2: treats 10 sq ft I would need many Ref (Coke machine sized),  3: lasts 24 mos, wont cut it kinda If my initial assumption is wrong please enlighten. Thanks, m-dc

As far as price, shop around. Lots of sites pop up on a Google search. I know some of them list the price (which are reasonable). Emitter cups are avalible in a range of sizes & one will definitely be large enough for your safe (did you calculate the square footage of your safe's interior)?

As for you being a " a scatter brain"... well I can't help you there. Sorry.    

No kidding about 72 sq. ft
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#21]
A dehumidifier will not work unless the basement is fairly tight (which they usually are not) a golden rod will not work if there are large swings in temperature or cool temperatures and humidity.

You might get away with using a dehumidifier and golden rod for a while maybe years but sooner or later you will get rust.

I suggest one of those oil filled electric heaters. I have been using one for years after a dehumidifier and golden rod let me down and as a bonus the oil filled electric heaters is cheaper to buy and operate.
And put a  light coat of oil on the guns.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Name brand? Where do you get them? The biggest swing in temp is form 55-60- D.F to 70- D. F. other ten seasonal changes in temp. (MN,) And they are always wearing a thin coat of CPL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top