BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2001 11:35:08 AM EDT
What is the worst ammo for an AR-15
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Wolf is the worst ammo for any gun! i would never use it after all of the malfuctions i've seen it cause
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Ehh,
Wolf ammo is good blasting ammo.
I shot my last 400 rounds of it up yesterday in my 100% Oly using the bump fire.
Not one problem.
Go figure.
I figure that if your AR15 won't feed any crap through it then what good is it as a SHTF weapon.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
1000 rounds thru my SP1 without a single failure...
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Gee, I put a couple hundred rounds of Wolf .223 through my SP1 without a single failure.  

Cheap and goes BANG everytime I pull the trigger... enough said.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolf ammo isn't that bad, I use it all the time for cheap blasting. It is also good to have on hand when friends want to go to the range with you. Why waste the good stuff on milk jugs.

The worst ammo I have used is ARMSCOR PRECISION, which is "Proudly Philippine Made". I am not sure if they make .223, but they do make pistol caliber's. I had a whole box of .357's that were dudes. I got a good primer hit and they just wouldn't go off. They were priced the same as reloads, so I gave them a shot. Some time when I get a chance I will pull the heads and see what is inside.

OSA
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
the worste ammo is bad handloads or stuff that doesnt go bang and instead goes BOOOOM along with your gun
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe not for yours but for my AR - WOLF [xx(]
nuff said
- bricklayer
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Years ago, my friend bought a case of Norinco .308 to shoot through his M1a.  We tried about 200 rounds and the stuff ran real good, BUT about a week later when he decided to do some gun cleaning he found RUST in the gas cylinder and on the piston. The label on the box did say "non-corrosive" and it was true. The cardboard box didn't rust the ammo can the it was being stored in.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Any thing with a steel case is a third world round S&B grey steel case and wolf is OK in a AK clone but not in a AR Im sure the stuff works OK , not the S&B steel, I Hate it! Some people back steel fodder, but also people use Cooks remanufactured motor oil in their cars also.
GG
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wolf is the worst ammo for any gun! i would never use it after all of the malfuctions i've seen it cause
View Quote

Dont cry about WOLF ammo cause you bought a an AR that wont shoot it. Its pretty good ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I use S&B ammo, and it's accurate (1/2 to 3/4 inch @ 100yds), and for me, reliable. And, as if it matters, I use Castrol 20w50 in my car.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
S&B grey steel case
View Quote

?????
?????
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#15]
He means (I assume) the steel-cased ammo made by Sellior & Bellot. They have quit making it, and have gone to brass cases, although it can still be found.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Hope I'm one of you guy with goodluck(wolf) just purchased 1000ct. any secrets?
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Wolf Ammo!!!!
Just returned 1800 rounds. If it works for you great, but it is pretty much a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ehh,
Wolf ammo is good blasting ammo.
I shot my last 400 rounds of it up yesterday in my 100% Oly using the bump fire.
Not one problem.
Go figure.
View Quote

I suggest you check teh Oly website, where they warn against using the lacquer covered ammo, ESPECIALLY as Oly chambers are  manufactured "tighter" with narrower tolerances than most other AR's. (They do this as it enhances accuracy.)

Under continuous fire, the lacquer on the case melts, and gums up the chamber. This causes failure to extract, among other things.

Further, the steel case beats the crap out of your bolt and upper.

Unless you consider your gun as disposal as Wolf "brass" I'd find another brand of ammo to shoot.

Oh, one more thing - use of lacquer covered ammo, as it is in violation of Olys warranty, will void your rifles warranty. NOW, tell me if Wolf ammo is REALLY that cheap??
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a brand new CZ-85 combat,kaboom in my hand with WOLF 9mm,you guys that think it's great,keep shooting it,and when your AR is in peices, you'll know why I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole!!!!! That stuff is,and always was SHIT!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Ex-East block ammo is perfect for ex-east block guns.  You will find it to be reliable (though not very accurate) if you adhere to this rule.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of Wolf through my SAR 1, SAR 2, and SAR 3, 2 SKSs, and 60 year old M44 Carbine w/o a SINGLE FTF, FTL, or any other problem.  The AR may be a little persnickity when shooting it, but the guns it was designed for sure don't have a problem with it.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Most of my AR-15s will digest just about anything.  But one of them, with an ArmaLite upper, frequently chokes on Norinco.  I think it's a headspace issue.  The headspace is tight on that one, and the Norinco ammo leaves a lot of crud behind, causing stoppages.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The AR may be a little persnickity when shooting it, but the guns it was designed for sure don't have a problem with it.  
View Quote

I think you've hit on it.

Shooting Wolf ammo in an AR is like shooting 9mm ammo in a Rem 700. They weren't made for each other.

Wolf was made for the AK style rifles. AR tolerances are too tight.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really.
If you have a match upper I can see your point
But a mil-Spec AR is supposed to be kinda on the loose side for this very reason.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really.
If you have a match upper I can see your point
But a mil-Spec AR is supposed to be kinda on the loose side for this very reason.
View Quote

I think we are talking degrees here.

I believe EVERY AR chamber (withing factory specs) is STILL gonna be tighter than an AK chamber. AK chambers  you can ALMOST fit two rounds in at one time. [:D]

Else, AR's would be getting AK accuracy.

Someone correct me here if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I believe EVERY AR chamber (withing factory specs) is STILL gonna be tighter than an AK chamber. AK chambers  you can ALMOST fit two rounds in at one time. [:D]
View Quote

I can agree with that, However alot of these guys crying about Wolf have a match or tighter than MilSpec chamber and wonder why the cant shoot $90 ammo in their $800 upper.

My point was, a MilSpec chamber should not have a problem with wolf (atleast none of my 6 AR`s do)
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#28]
the one thing ive been told  with regard to  steel cases ammo is have a spare extractor handy it tends to wear faster with steel cases then with brass cases. atleast thats what ive been told
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I've fired close to 2k rounds of Wolf through my Bushmaster.  After reading some posts on how the steel cases were going to wear out my gun I got concerned and started picking up the ejected cases and inspecting them.  Invariably the green lacquer coating was completely intact even around the rim.  Now I'm not a mechanical engineer (nor, it would seem, a rocket scientist) but it seems to me that for the steel case to wear out my chamber/upper/extractor it would have to first get through the lacquer coating.  As far as I can tell, the only part of the case that actually touches my gun is the lacquer.
As far as sustained rapid fire goes, I wouldn't know.  When I aim each shot, I can't fire fast enough to melt the lacquer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top